Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 254

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

  1. #221

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    lol what?
    Is this NOT something you've brought up before? Playing a card like impulse to not lose to chalice?

  2. #222

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    First of all, Impulse has, indeed, been suggested over Ponder/Preordain.

    Secondly, Cloud of Faeries accelerates mana.
    It was suggested quite a while ago and not here in this thread specifically. Further, there's better 2-cmc filtering and draw, lessons may be worth considering as are cards that actually generate card advantage. CoF does accelerate mana if the conditionsare correct, but there are likely better choices for that slot and to that end especially when the point of "likely not necessary to accelerate into a chalice on turn 1 due to playing Forces." Further, the idea of playing Daze in this deck where you would need mox + sol land to accel into the chalice creates a situation where you can't actually cast Daze on your opponent's turn after and makes for a really awkward proposition.

    But hey, you are technically correct on the last two points you made so I guess you just totally outsmarted everyone in this theorycrafting session.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  3. #223

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The Magecraft cards go nuts with storm cards.
    E:
    T1 super prowess,
    T2 manamorphosr, mutagenic growth, gutshot, grapeshot is 2+(1+2)+(2+2)+3(2+1) 18 damage. Find yourself a bolt and gg.
    Why play conditional cards like Manamorphose, Gut Shot (yes it counts here) and Grapeshot when you can just play more burn spells that have applications outside of the combo kill?

    Where the combo kill approach is worth it is probably in something like Delver, because you don't have to dedicate 8 slots to it (Chain of Smog is not that great of a standalone card) and the backup plan of Delver is obviously good enough.

  4. #224

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Why play conditional cards like Manamorphose, Gut Shot (yes it counts here) and Grapeshot when you can just play more burn spells that have applications outside of the combo kill?

    Where the combo kill approach is worth it is probably in something like Delver, because you don't have to dedicate 8 slots to it (Chain of Smog is not that great of a standalone card) and the backup plan of Delver is obviously good enough.
    Because while you can combo for opponent outright you can still just make big dumb creature by cycling these cards for value
    You can also do both.

  5. #225

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Because while you can combo for opponent outright you can still just make big dumb creature by cycling these cards for value
    You can also do both.
    Doing both has deckbuilding costs.

  6. #226

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Doing both has deckbuilding costs.
    So people keep saying and yet He Keeps Getting Away With It

  7. #227

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Is this NOT something you've brought up before? Playing a card like impulse to not lose to chalice?
    In an ideal meta, yeah, people should have to resort to play impulse so as to avoid losing to Chalice. The idea is that getting greedy with too many CMC1 cards is punished, and playing high CMC cards is also bad, so there's always a trade off and you have to weigh your options, not all cards are universally good, etc. You know, metagaming, deckbuilding, diversity, that sort of thing.

    Of course we don't live in an ideal world. The cantrip cartel is universally good regardless of Chalice because it comes with 12 pieces of free countermagic so the matchup isn't actually bad. You don't actually need to play Impulse to win overall, you just have to accept getting blown out from time to time, which is increasingly rare thanks to Wizards' long-standing policy of granting blue the entirety of the color pie. Yet, despite having the best cards and the best deck, you still whine. Unlike Vintage players (who were still annoying but whose predicament was real and a kind of tragedy of the commons), whining about Chalice isn't making any sort of point beyond "I am unhappy that games sometimes don't go the way I would like them to go", so there isn't much to advise beyond the obvious "if you don't want to get blown up by Chalice, why don't you play spells that aren't CMC1". Hence, Impulse. The advice is as intelligent as your complaints are legitimate, make of that what you will.

    Btw, congrats on digging up posts from 2018 (!) for the sake of dragging out an argument. What was that supposed to accomplish?

  8. #228

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    yeah,
    The only word you needed. Had you stopped here you wouldn't have said:
    Btw, congrats on digging up posts from 2018 (!) for the sake of dragging out an argument. What was that supposed to accomplish?
    And made yourself look illiterate. It wasn't me who brought up your impulse thesis. In fact I called bringing it up petty forums drama, and now here we are.

  9. #229
    Member

    Join Date

    May 2015
    Location

    PDX
    Posts

    1,915

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    And made yourself look illiterate. It wasn't me who brought up your impulse thesis. In fact I called bringing it up petty forums drama, and now here we are.
    Controlling time [of old thread posts] ensures you need never look impulsive again.

  10. #230

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The only word you needed. Had you stopped here you wouldn't have said:

    And made yourself look illiterate. It wasn't me who brought up your impulse thesis. In fact I called bringing it up petty forums drama, and now here we are.
    Ok apart from name calling I still have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to accomplish. Is it about Impulse? About Chalice? About some general statement on what an ideal meta should like? Or you just don't like me very much and would like to make it known? Just state your main thesis clearly, man.

  11. #231

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    Ok apart from name calling I still have no idea what your point is or what you're trying to accomplish. Is it about Impulse? About Chalice? About some general statement on what an ideal meta should like? Or you just don't like me very much and would like to make it known? Just state your main thesis clearly, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Thanks, your incredibly condescending post is noted and immediately ignored because, come on, man. No one argued for Impulse, there are better choices. Several, in fact. Cloud of Faeries?
    Chunderbucket has made this argument before using impulse.
    It's petty forums drama.

  12. #232

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    I've explained the rationale behind the impulse thing. One may agree with it, or disagree, but its main thesis clear as day. What I'm asking is, what were you trying to accomplish pointing out that old post of mine without said rationale? What are you trying to prove, explain or otherwise justify? Remember what I said about speaking clearly. In essence, why did you jump in the discussion at all?

  13. #233

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    I've explained the rationale behind the impulse thing. One may agree with it, or disagree, but its main thesis clear as day. What I'm asking is, what were you trying to accomplish pointing out that old post of mine without said rationale? What are you trying to prove, explain or otherwise justify? Remember what I said about speaking clearly. In essence, why did you jump in the discussion at all?
    What do you think the post I replied to said?

  14. #234

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Yeah, well, I asked a legitimate question and got nothing but snark in return; Even his decklist was sarcastic. Idc if chunderbucket did suggest impulse - it was apparently over 2 years ago and on another thread; being butthurt about a card suggestion for that long is absurd.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  15. #235

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What do you think the post I replied to said?
    I know what you said, what I want to know is why you jumped in to begin with and what you were trying to aim exactly. Usually people don't pop up randomly and unprompted unless they have some deeper point to make, otherwise we might just replace them with bots or something. I believe I have made my points about Chalice, the cantrip cartel and my idea of the meta in a rather clear way. You may disagree with it, think I am an idiot for thinking this way, believe my idea of 'fun' or 'diversity' is wrong and misguided, but at least there is something to argue with. I have a position, we exchange opinions and argue and hopefully something productive comes out.

    But you don't do that. I have no idea what you think, what you believe, why you post the way you do, what deeper point you're trying to make. Do you even have one? Or are you just copying and pasting prompts off a Markov Chain or GPT-3 or something? You pointed out I talked about impulse in 2018, I explained what I meant, you dismissed it - what did you that for? Do you concur with Ronald Deuce that Chalice is harmful, or do you not? Are you even trying to say something?

  16. #236

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    I know what you said, what I want to know is why you jumped in to begin with and what you were trying to aim exactly. Usually people don't pop up randomly and unprompted unless they have some deeper point to make, otherwise we might just replace them with bots or something. I believe I have made my points about Chalice, the cantrip cartel and my idea of the meta in a rather clear way. You may disagree with it, think I am an idiot for thinking this way, believe my idea of 'fun' or 'diversity' is wrong and misguided, but at least there is something to argue with. I have a position, we exchange opinions and argue and hopefully something productive comes out.

    But you don't do that. I have no idea what you think, what you believe, why you post the way you do, what deeper point you're trying to make. Do you even have one? Or are you just copying and pasting prompts off a Markov Chain or GPT-3 or something? You pointed out I talked about impulse in 2018, I explained what I meant, you dismissed it - what did you that for? Do you concur with Ronald Deuce that Chalice is harmful, or do you not? Are you even trying to say something?
    Come on. You can do this. I believe in you. What did the post I replied to say.

  17. #237

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Person A: (sarcasm) 4x Impulse because Impulse is good (/sarcasm)
    Person B: Thatís just sarcasm. Nobody thinks Impulse is good.
    Person C: Person D does.
    Person D: Let me clarify. I didnít suggest it because itís a great Legacy card. I said that if Chalice were actually a big problem, players could resort to it. They donít. Ergo, Chalice isnít a big problem.
    Person C: you said Impulse again

    This is what Iím getting out of the last page or so.

  18. #238
    GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

    Join Date

    Jan 2013
    Location

    French Riviera
    Posts

    1,137

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Guys, this analysis of the impacts of strixhaven on the legacy format is so top notch!

  19. #239

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Guys, this analysis of the impacts of strixhaven on the legacy format is so top notch!
    Yeah, I didn't know that Impulse was a secret reprint!

  20. #240

    Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

    Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Person A: (sarcasm) 4x Impulse because Impulse is good (/sarcasm)
    Person B: Thatís just sarcasm. Nobody thinks Impulse is good.
    Person C: Person D does.
    Person D: Let me clarify. I didnít suggest it because itís a great Legacy card. I said that if Chalice were actually a big problem, players could resort to it. They donít. Ergo, Chalice isnít a big problem.
    Person C: you said Impulse again

    This is what Iím getting out of the last page or so.
    More like
    Ronald and Chunderbucket had their chalice slap fight and Ronald brought up the time Chunderbucket brought up impulse.
    A Bee said no one was saying impulse.
    I provided the context is that Chunderbucket had before
    Chunderbucket demands I explain my argument
    I try to hold Chunderbuckets hand as they hopefully figure out

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)