Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Strixhaven (Back to School[s of Magic] this April)

There has to be a point to a card @Mr. Safety, especially in decks with no strategy beyond jamming the most pushed 1-card combos. If BUG Delver needed reach, it would have been playing Coll Brut. For some reason people see this new sorcery and say "finally BUG Delver can fix it's main problem of not having burn"...with a card that is super suspect in against Delver w/ Bolt. It's not addressing any problems, that's why it's unplayable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    These are scenarios that can happen @Reeplcheep, but Delver doesn't really get the option to ignore its main problems for corner case scenarios. This card has no meaningful text against a flipped UR Delver, and that's what matters.

@FTW that comparison does not work. Abrade had to be not 1cmc b/c of Chalice. Every other card that did the same thing [Shatter] on that cmc had a backup plan that attacked a more fringe resource than a creature (Smash, Grudge).

For every scenario you listed, we could make small alterations and see the same stuff written for Collective Brutality. None of this modality matters if the card is failing to address the fundamental deficit. The thing about Abrade is that it played precisely because it addresses a fundamental deficit: artifact removal.
    Even if ur delver is the only matchup you care about, it’s should be played there as an effective 2.5 for 1 (2/3 of a bolt face, 2/3 of their bolt face, 1/2 of a mental note (formerly played in thresh) and rebuy wasteland) for only 2 mana.

In a deck that can’t afford card disadvantage comparing a 1 for 1 or even 1 for 2 to a 2 for 1 is not being very honest with your arguments.

Edit: I don’t understand why you are so worried about the ur delver matchup. AFAIK bug delver is great in mirrors as the bigger delver deck. Almost everyone had said that it’s weakness was that no reach makes it weaker vs combo and control where decay is dead. This is a decay that is never dead.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    In a deck that can’t afford card disadvantage comparing a 1 for 1 or even 1 for 2 to a 2 for 1 is not being very honest with your arguments.
    Bingo, this is what I was thinking. Delver archetypes in general need some form of card advantage, at least out of the sideboard, to help offset the fundamental weakness of their archetype (as Fox neatly described.) I've always seen delver decks as not needing reach per se, but rather a way to somehow not fall behind in cards before grindier decks take over. Bolt doesn't fix that problem either. A card that plays multiple roles at such an efficient cost is the kind of card that can help fill holes. Sylvan Library, Life from the Loam, and additional removal saw plenty of maindeck/sideboard play in BUG Delver in years past. This is a card that does those things fairly well, provides card advantage, and unlike Library can actually flip your Delvers (EDIT: it's an enchantment which doesn't trigger delver, but it's triggers help stack your top deck to flip delver.)
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 03-22-2021 at 04:02 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

First spoilers are out:

I wonder what broken dumb shit they're going to put on cheaper Magecraft cards.

Legs?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Legs?
    8 mana.
    Is this easier or harder in a TES

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    First spoilers are out:

I wonder what broken dumb shit they're going to put on cheaper Magecraft cards.
    You have no idea how sick of prowess I already am and now it's going to get even better.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    8 mana.
    Is this easier or harder in a TES
    Just to bring this back around:

Chain of Smog breaks the entire Magecraft mechanic.

I have no clue what's in this set, but I have to imagine there's a 1 or 2 drop creature (or artifact) that can spellcraft and kill an opponent (Mill for 1. Life loss for 1. etc).

How good does it become of there's a 1 drop or 2 drop black/artifact enabler for Chain of Smog?

I have no clue what's in this set, but I have to imagine there's a 1 or 2 drop creature (or artifact) that can spellcraft and kill an opponent (Mill for 1. Life loss for 1. etc).

How good does it become of there's a 1 drop or 2 drop black/artifact enabler for Chain of Smog?
    It depends how playable they are on their own, because this combo makes you discard your hand and go all in, it would be helpful if your deck was functionally before you went ll in, otherwise you're just a different (worse?) Storm deck.

I hope you speculators all lose your fucking shirts.

Mar 2007

Probably T0, as both things mentioned could easily go onto 1 drops, knowing Wizards. They don't for test for Eternal or Commander. Let's say there's a "Magecraft - Opponent loses 1 life" creature for .

T1 Swamp, Dark Ritual, 1-drop, Smog, win. That's Channel/Fireball tier.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Probably T0, as both things mentioned could easily go onto 1 drops, knowing Wizards. They don't for test for Eternal or Commander. Let's say there's a "Magecraft - Opponent loses 1 life" creature for .

T1 Swamp, Dark Ritual, 1-drop, Smog, win. That's Channel/Fireball tier.
    It could be as easy as a new swiftspear

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    3 mana Chandra had a zero that is in fact a plus ability. Why they made it a [0] when it's clearly a [+1] is anyone's guess. All they have to do is say "to each other red pw..."

Unlike tendrils of agony, chain of smog is still an easier to cast wrench mind, which is modern playable.

Having 1 of your combo pieces be reasonably good protection/disruption is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Unlike tendrils of agony, chain of smog is still an easier to cast wrench mind, which is modern playable.

Having 1 of your combo pieces be reasonably good protection/disruption is insane.
    Pretty sure you can't use Chain of Smog offensively to protect the combo, since the opponent will either discard two other cards and break up the combo or understand that you need to assemble a combo whereas they just need any threat and copy it to destroy your hand.

Mar 2007

Is probably a border case, but you can use it offensively if you have sided in Leyline of Sanctity in certain match-ups.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Ral, storm conduit was doing the same thing for 2 mana less...
    Still saw no play at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Ral, storm conduit was doing the same thing for 2 mana less...
    Still saw no play at all....
    Again, the issue is that it works with the entire mechanic, and theres likely to be a one or two drop that can kill an opponent (ping for 1 / mill for 1)

Again, the issue is that it works with the entire mechanic, and theres likely to be a one or two drop that can kill an opponent (ping for 1 / mill for 1)
    That is probably Wizards' way to solve the Storm "problem" of it not being a creature-based engine.

Thread Information