Thread: Strongest 4 Drops

Strongest 4 Drops

So, question...if you're using Eladamari's Vineyard to ramp into a 4 drop on turn 2 what are the strongest options? I'm open to 3/5 drop thoughts if they've got a strong case for being the focus of the deck or solid support.

So far Karn TGC, JTMS, Hexdrinker (including leveling it up), the abyss, Eureka, and possibly madcap experiment come to mind. Some other '4 drops' like isochron scepter (plus 2 to use it) come to mind too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Strongest 4 Drops

Sneak Attack, Geddon [assuming oppo can't use green], Thran Dynamo types, some type of land tutor/ramper into Field of the Dead, Living Plane, Humility, Rhonas (pump God or GG make a 5/4 sorcery), Aluren.

Sep 2011

Green Sun's Zenith X <=3 (seems like an easy 4-of if playing green creatures)
    Collected Company
    Questing Beast (defacto best 4-mana green creature)
    Thought-Knot Seer off Horizon Canopy/Wasteland
    Helm of Obedience (with T0 Leyline, or use Vineyard to cast T3 Leyline + activate Helm)
    whatever Nic Fit is trying to ramp out these days

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Helm of Obedience (with T0 Leyline, or use Vineyard to cast T3 Leyline + activate Helm)
    Hmm, that makes me wonder about a Mono-Green sort of Two-Card Monty, since you can use the Green to cast Helm, Painter, or Grindstone, or use the Green to have Veil protecting from removal/counters.

Probably not a great idea though, which is why no one has really done it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Your combo matchup seems like it will be horrendous. Anything mana denialish seems counter productive. What about lots of discard/draw? You could try x spell tribal with rosheen meandered, mind shatter, torment of hailfire, ug Nissa and hydroid Krasis.

Sep 2011

I think you can pick 2 directions here. You can either go really big and hope you don't have Vineyard disrupted (4-6 mana cards will be bad otherwise), or you can stay small with cards that are good without Vineyard but also have mana sinks for Vineyard mana.

If you go small, GSZ and CoCo are good. Collected Company into Eternal Witness returning Company lets you easily keep recasting CoCo while putting more bodies on board. This is a Modern strategy that's usually too mana-intensive for Legacy, but Vineyard could be enough to make it work.

Allosaurus Shepherd also becomes good, both to make your stuff uncounterable and then as a manasink.

//Spells: 13
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Eladamri's Vineyard
    3 Collected Company
    3 Natural Order

//Creatures: 27
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Hexdrinker
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Tarmogoyf
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Destiny Spinner
    3 Eternal Witness
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Knight of Autumn
    1 Tireless Tracker
    1 Skyclave Apparition
    1 Questing Beast
    1 Archon of Valor
    1 Progenitus

//Lands: 20
    1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Savannah
    4 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    1 Karakas
    1 Gaea's Cradle

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Deafening Silence
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Choke
    1 Council's Judgment
    1 Garruk Relentless

Something like that could easily function without Vineyard but also has a lot of payoffs if you have the mana.

The SB needs a lot of anti-combo so you don't lose to accelerating them mana.

Edit: If you go the really big route, you probably want a backup plan like Summoning Trap or other ramp in case Vineyard is disrupted.

Another option is Rejuvenator green post. T2 Golos/tks/rejuvenator are all good for the deck depending on what sol land you have. Should make t3 prime time very consistent. The deck can Also fit in summoning trap and run chalice to help with the combo problem.

Vineyard plus tomb =t2 hour of promise, t3 ulamog

Last edited by kinda; 02-25-2021 at 12:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Natural Order is a 4-drop too, but it has extra requirements.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If you're running Magus of the Vineyard it feeds right into Natural Order on turn 2. Worst case you stop ramping them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Another option is Rejuvenator green post. T2 Golos/tks/rejuvenator are all good for the deck depending on what sol land you have. Should make t3 prime time very consistent. The deck can Also fit in summoning trap and run chalice to help with the combo problem.

Vineyard plus tomb =t2 hour of promise, t3 ulamog
    This is pretty spicy! Elvish Rejuvenator is a solid card that hasn't seen a lot of action.

Thread Information