Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MtG crossover with Warhammer 40k and a full LotR set in the making

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

MtG crossover with Warhammer 40k and a full LotR set in the making

WotC is also becoming a part of Hasbro

It's official now

Well, that's interesting.

Edit: Since WotC isn't going to be its own company anymore, this could mean their RL promise might be void. Why would Hasbro care about silly, decade-old promises if loads of money could be made with expensive premium products?
    Last edited by Barook; 02-25-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: MtG crossover with Warhammer 40k and a full LotR set in the making

Thanks, I hate it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

You knew it was only a matter of time before it ended like this

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Edit: Since WotC isn't going to be its own company anymore, this could mean their RL promise might be void. Why would Hasbro care about silly, decade-old promises if loads of money could be made with expensive premium products?
    Allow me to question speculatively, if the intellectual property is transferred to another legal entity, is the new legal entity responsible for promises made by the first?

Mar 2007

The promise wasn't legally binding in the first place and was altered multiple times - WotC is only keeping it up for stupid reasons and then doubled down with the spirit of the RL.

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Allow me to question speculatively, if the intellectual property is transferred to another legal entity, is the new legal entity responsible for promises made by the first?
    That depends entirely on how good your lawyers are.

Ironic that a game set in a multiverse has to resort to crossovers with other IPs just to stay relevant and farm more sweet geek dollars.

Well, given that they are almost 28 years in and have shown that they are almost out of ideas it's not surprising.
    Especially since most of their leftover ideas are terrible.

I feel there is some good pun to be made here for the mtg-cardboardic universe.

The only good thing that could come from this is that hasbro just doesn't give a shit and reprints everything into oblivion.
    Other than that, it's just more milking with even more product.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Ironic that a game set in a multiverse has to resort to crossovers with other IPs just to stay relevant and farm more sweet geek dollars.
    Magic is more popular than ever. WotC has made a whopping 800 Million revenue last year.

Blame Arena.

Magic is more popular than ever. WotC has made a whopping 800 Million revenue last year.

Blame Arena.
    Do you think their business model is in any form sustainable?

Printing more and more focus grouped special limited edition fancy crap?
    A lot of people esp in the US are already tight with money and product fatigue is a real thing.

Arena doing well is probably just because people can't play paper right now and they have been pushing it hard.
    However that audience is very easily turned away if they keep screwing up standard and historic continuously.
    The quality of the client is a whole other issue.

Do you think their business model is in any form sustainable?

Printing more and more focus grouped special limited edition fancy crap?
    A lot of people esp in the US are already tight with money and product fatigue is a real thing.

Arena doing well is probably just because people can't play paper right now and they have been pushing it hard.
    However that audience is very easily turned away if they keep screwing up standard and historic continuously.
    The quality of the client is a whole other issue.
    You just have to accept that the demographic they are targeting is different than the one it had before. Product fatigue may be a thing for veteran players, but for mass market consumers that burn a significant amount of money on things like the newest funko pop figures and other pop-geek merchandise this is probably not an issue (just look how derivative and repetitive popular geek culture has become). And between the disgruntled vet that only buys singles and the mass market consumer, it is pretty obvious which one Hasbro will care about, especially as nerdy stuff continues to become increasingly mainstream. For the most part, people here haven't been the target demographic for a very long time.

Reserved List reprints won't happen unless Hasbro is really desperate for revenue, regardless of how legal it would or would not be, and even then it would likely be focused on Commander staples (so dual lands).

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    You just have to accept that the demographic they are targeting is different than the one it had before. Product fatigue may be a thing for veteran players, but for mass market consumers that burn a significant amount of money on things like the newest funko pop figures and other pop-geek merchandise this is probably not an issue (just look how derivative and repetitive popular geek culture has become). And between the disgruntled vet that only buys singles and the mass market consumer, it is pretty obvious which one Hasbro will care about, especially as nerdy stuff continues to become increasingly mainstream. For the most part, people here haven't been the target demographic for a very long time.
    I'm fully aware of all of that.

However, I still think that with their current model, they are gonna burn through people faster than they can suck in new ones.

Also, one of mtg's defining characteristics is that it can bind people to it for a long time and has a huge community.
    If you swap out a large fraction of the people to fast, this is going to collapse.

Another thing to keep in mind is how hiveminded people have become in the age of social media.
    "Magic is dead" is the "Milhouse is not a meme" of the community but if they manage to finally tip opinions of the community, they are done for.
    A lot of people really hated the metas in most of the recent card pool formats in recent years and they haven't forgotten.
    I'm surprised people have stuck so long with Arena, considering all the atrocious Standard rotations it had.

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

Are these cards going to be Legacy legal?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: If someone's stupid enough to put a clause into whatever contract dictates the sale to say, "The buyer will abide by the Holy and Indivisible Reserved List (Treis hypostates homoousios)," then yes, but no, because that's fucking idiotic.

Wizzerds broke its own promise numerous times. Only a certifiable moron would treat that promise as a contract, and only a special kind of send-'em-to-space-because-they're-obliterating-the-planet-faster-than-the-Republicans dullard would hold a third party to that promise.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    Are these cards going to be Legacy legal?
    Why wouldn't they be? Black border = Legacy legal. The Walking Dead cards were grandfathered into this new crossover system and those are legal, too.

Worlds Strongest Millionaire
    Aug 2011
    Colorado

@Barook
    Jesus fuck this is dumb you know Gandalf is gonna be busted as shit too
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.
    ~ Mohandas Gandhi

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by JBlaze View Post
    @Barook
    Jesus fuck this is dumb you know Gandalf is gonna be busted as shit too
    The biggest ironie is going to be that Gandalf the White is going to be blue.

The biggest ironie is going to be that Gandalf the White is going to be blue.
    Radagast green instead of artifact.
    Get the pitchforks.

Seriously, the possibilities are endless:

Can't wait for the Han Solo card which can't attack if it wasn't dealt damage first.

Don't worry, Triple Word Score will handle that for you.

I'm fully aware of all of that.

However, I still think that with their current model, they are gonna burn through people faster than they can suck in new ones.

Also, one of mtg's defining characteristics is that it can bind people to it for a long time and has a huge community.
    If you swap out a large fraction of the people to fast, this is going to collapse.

Another thing to keep in mind is how hiveminded people have become in the age of social media.
    "Magic is dead" is the "Milhouse is not a meme" of the community but if they manage to finally tip opinions of the community, they are done for.
    A lot of people really hated the metas in most of the recent card pool formats in recent years and they haven't forgotten.
    I'm surprised people have stuck so long with Arena, considering all the atrocious Standard rotations it had.
    I mean you can say that, but they just went through a period where they had the most atrocious constructed formats ever over multiple rotations, had to go on numerous banning sprees, on top of that an entire year with essentially 0 physical magic happening anywhere, and came out stronger than ever. Sure vocal fans say magic is dead or whatever, just like how they said Walking Dead Secret Lair was stupid, or the 200$+ fetchland drop was dumb, or banning all those cards nobody played because they were racist, or any other popular controversy of the week, but realistically they wouldn't be doing what they are doing if it was tanking the franchise. Like if the 'mtg community' was vocal about Walking Dead drop being dumb, they have clearly received alternative feedback (purchases) that told them to double down on those types of things. The meta doesn't matter to the majority of players that play whatever casual deck they have against other casuals in their arena bracket. And they have shown to be adept in maintaining their brand image with the social and political initiatives they have done, so it is unlikely they will be canceled by some hate mob either. I think you are just underestimating how popular they are now, and overestimate how popular they were before. I would be moire inclined to believe that not only are they sucking in new players faster than old ones leave, they are doing it at a much higher rate than you think. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the player base started playing after the first Zendikar which is around when mtg took off.

Thread Information