Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would a ban of Fetchlands in Legacy impact our favorite format?

Re: How would a ban of Fetchlands in Legacy impact our favorite format?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Surprised I didn't see this answer.

Your local legacy scene has 10 players. Cutting fetches / Brainstorm / blue makes 6 of them have shitty decks that are no longer playable. Buying a new deck without them is lolno. The other 4 play lands vs DnT vs blood moon vs all spells for 2-3 hours, realize that's all there is, and then never play again.

I think it would hard kill all the interactive (read: fun) decks and the rest of the format with it.
    The question is if that's really the case.

The meta game would shift so massively that completely new or ancient decks would be playable.
    Everyone would need to readjust.

The price is a general issue with legacy that can only be fixed by playing proxy tournaments.
    95% of legacy players couldn't care less if the tournament is sanctioned or not.

I think a lot of people are just tired of the format being delver flavor of the month, combo, and whatever hates on both of them for years now.
    If you remember how diverse Legacy was back in the day around 2010, today seems like a barren wasteland.
    The rest has just accepted that this is the way the format will be until it's as diverse and unaffordable as Vintage.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    I think a lot of people are just tired of the format being delver flavor of the month, combo, and whatever hates on both of them for years now.
    If you remember how diverse Legacy was back in the day around 2010, today seems like a barren wasteland.
    I have to challenge this. Have a look at the data from the NRG Legacy 2K:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2qQ/edit#gid=0

This is diverse -- certainly not a "barren wasteland." Even if you look at these decks and think they're slightly less diverse than you remember 2010's decks being, is that margin of difference even worth complaining about? Any environment from any time period will always revolve around key decks and strategies. If you were to play 2010 Legacy, you'd have CounterTop instead of Delver, earlier iterations of today's combo decks, and your metagame predator category.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Never thought I'd see a day where folks were nostalgic for the "splash for Tarmogoyf" times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Oh this is when I got into legacy and yeah it was great.

Basically all the data since the bannings shows a very healthy meta. The percentage of people play delver and uro pile (note that this encompasses like 7 different decks which are all playing very different cards) are high, because fair blue players are going to fair blue no matter what. But fair anti-blue decks are doing very well as they should (elves/lands/d&t) due to blue decks being overplayed. If less people play delver and they start playing fair non-blue, doomsday players will take everyone’s lunch money and the cycle begins anew.

In contrast to before the bannings, where fair non-blue was unplayable, fair blue had 50/60 cards in common, and the only other thing that was viable was degenerate combo or gy decks.

This is partly why astrolabe banning was such a good thing. Rug uro having difficulty splashing plow for marit lage and Bant miracles not easily running plague engineer vs elves means that the top decks have actual weaknesses, keeping the meta healthy.

Thread Information