Thread: WBG Magecraft Aggro Combo

Hybrid View

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

WBG Magecraft Aggro Combo

Many years ago I built a GWB “prowess” deck that managed to take down a small legacy tournament, and I think the playing spells that count as lands essentially could be decent with the new magecraft cards, and you also get a combo kill with chain of smog.

Link here to the old deck.
    https://magic.facetofacegames.com/abzan-mentor-legacy/

Is running Tithe and Land Grant way more risky than just a higher land count and cantrips? Absolutely. I’m sure there is a similar type of build where you cut green for blue and the deck gets way better but this seems like a more fun space to explore.

So the general idea here is to sort of play like a fair Aggro Deck with your prowess creatures etc, but if you ever get an opening you can threaten to combo.

This might be trying to do too many things, I’m sure the greediness could be cut back in favour of more consistency but this is where I want to start. The Mox Diamonds might be too risky as well.

Bob is worth thinking about, so is a more human disruptive focus, or maybe a Dead Guy or D&T style approach with Vials more or less Herirarchs?

Grand Abolisher is also worth thinking about.

2 Noble Heirarch
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Clever Luminancer
    4 Leonin Lightscribe
    4 Witherbloom Apprentice
    2 Cabal Therapy

1 Unmask
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Night's Whisper
    4 Chain of Smog
    3 Swords to plowshares
    1 Abrupt Decay / Assassin’s trophy
    4 Tithe
    4 Land Grant
    2 Mox Diamond

4 Marsh Flats
    1 Windsweapt Heath
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest
    1 Bayou
    2 Savannah
    4 Scrublands

Happy to hear anyones thoughts if they think this is crazy or might have some legs.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: WBG Magecraft Aggro Combo

Isn't Once Upon a Time fairly perfect for this deck?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Don't forget the green cantrip

Between this and Once Upon A Time and Veil of Summer you can even pretend to play a "blue" deck. You don't need to bother with Land Grant and Tithe imo.

Snuff out also seems pretty nice, or maybe murderous cut if you don't feel like giving your opp life.

Maybe run caverns on humans to force your creatures through countermagic?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

once upon a time is an excellent call.

That being said, with the printing of this:

You could just drop the GB mage and go WB no green splash. Sure you can't win outside the combat zone anymore, but with Mom and maybe some Giver of Runes, and just straight having more attackers than they have blockers, shouldn't be too hard to win.

I'll have to tinker around and see if BW alone is more worth it.

Sep 2011

Cabal Therapy seems bad here (creatures not profitable to sacrifice) while StP should be a 4-of. Cling to Dust seems like a maindeckable on-color cantrip.

Land Grant and Tithe seem too cute. OUAT is a better version of Land Grant that doesn't open you up to the same manascrew blowouts vs Daze. OUAT can also find Caverns @ Humans. Green seems appealing if only for the cantrips, Decays to fight hate, and ability to win outside the combat zone.

If you go BW, Monastery Mentor probably belongs. That would justify keeping Cabal Therapy too.

Why is Silverquill strictly worse than Lightscribe for a worse mana cost? Due to creature type Human? Was there an error in the spoiler that missed something relevant like "+1/+0 and deathtouch"?
    Last edited by FTW; 04-02-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

The BW Mage can target any creature not just Itself.
    Strictly worse than the Leonin and harder to cast, so i don't know what they were thinking.

Thread Information