Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SCD] Abundant Harvest

[SCD] Abundant Harvest

Can we talk about this?

To me it basically reads like a green cantrip. Sure it's worse than Ponder or Brainstorm, but it has other uses that'd make it feel welcome in a non-blue deck.

There are two main uses: fair or unfair. In a fair mode, it basically always finds lands when you need to make your land drops, or action of some kind in the late game, so the card is basically never dead. Even Ponder and Brainstorm miss sometimes, this card never does. The expected value is lower but the floor is higher, so to speak.

In an unfair mode, you could basically fill your deck with lands or nonland cards to find a desired card for some janky combo. Let's say you fill your deck with nonland cards (and with the newest spell-lands this isn't as crazy as it looks like) and a single land (or multiples of it), then you basically have 8x copies of that land in your deck. I don't know if this can be applied to Dark Depths or some tier 4 brew that always wants to find Tabernacle for some reason but this is something to keep in mind. Worst case you can use it to cantrip or something.

Or you could fill your deck with lands, except for a single non-land card (or multiples of it, and/or redundant effects) and use this card to find what you want and increase consistency. I can't think of a combo that could take advantage of it (is Land Nauseam still a thing? lol) but it still sounds fun, and something to keep in mind for future printings. In a more prosaic mode, it could be used by Lands decks that have hands full of lands need to find an engine of some kind to dump/recurse their lands.

Anyway I'm quite happy that Wizards is making tentative moves to bring the other colors up to blue's enormous slice of the color pie, even if the result is not quite up to par.

Re: [SCD] Abundant Harvest

Adventurous Impulse doesn't see play so I would be surprised if this gets any play outside of combos which the world doesn't need more of.

Maybe 4X Harvest + 4X Countryside Crusher + 52 is modern viable.

Card's good. I don't know what it's home will be, but it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Adventurous Impulse doesn't see play so I would be surprised if this gets any play outside of combos which the world doesn't need more of.

Adventurous Impulse can miss though. Abundant Harvest will be successful every time. Also, AH can work in decks without (m)any creatures. That allows for broader use.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post

Except: 1) This is way better than Adventurous Impulse because you can choose between land and nonland which is one of the fundamental issues of MtG, and it lets you thin your landcount, and 2) the world absolutely needs more combos, wtf. There are plenty of formats for people who don't like combos

Quote Originally Posted by chunderbucket View Post
    , and 2) the world absolutely needs more combos, wtf. There are plenty of formats for people who don't like combos
    Just play Sudoku if you want to feel clever for searching through 10,000 possibilities to find the right combo for whatever the latest printing of a 7 is.

Yes, how dare people want to tinker with cards with some funny results instead of playing whatever goodstuff flavor of the month that appears on mtgtop8 like Garfield intended. Are we seriously having this discussion again, 24 years after ProsBloom?

Yes, how dare people want to tinker with cards with some funny results instead of playing whatever goodstuff flavor of the month that appears on mtgtop8 like Garfield intended. Are we seriously having this discussion again, 24 years after ProsBloom?
    Congrats on turning your opinion from bad to insufferable. No one is saying you can't have funny results. I'm saying I don't care that you discovered a new value for A in your A+B combo deck which will simply end the game not provide "some funny results"

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Congrats on turning your opinion from bad to insufferable. No one is saying you can't have funny results. I'm saying I don't care that you discovered a new value for A in your A+B combo deck which will simply end the game not provide "some funny results"
    If you don't care why do you post here at all then?

Card's good. I don't know what it's home will be, but it's good.
    That has Belcher and Hermit written all over it, it cyles green for black mana in a deck with a single Bayou and serves as a sort of Land Grant/Wild Cantor hybrid for removing the single land in your deck and mana fixing. I could also see it in SI, because it either builds up a manabase or fetches Dryad Arbor as a creature for a Culling the Weak play.

If you don't care why do you post here at all then?
    Someone's mad their latest pile is pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    Adventurous Impulse can miss though. Abundant Harvest will be successful every time. Also, AH can work in decks without (m)any creatures. That allows for broader use.
    AH requires specific deck building since you only get the choice land<->creature and then you have to live with what you find. Adventurous Impulse gives you at least a choice between the cards you see. Not saying it's better.

Thinking about this it's probably going to end up ind RUG delver as everything.
    You can play this + 4 Delver + ~2 Nemesis for example and play more control.
    Once you have enough to force a threat trough you just AH for it.
    Sounds link good times.

Another application might be for Show&Tell and further reduce the amount of spaghetti monsters + grizzlies you have to play.

In the end what this card will probably turn out to be is not actually helping green/creature decks but control decks who can even further reduce the number of threats since they play +4 with this.

Sep 2011

This is pretty good at finding Serra's Sanctum in Lollines.dec

That means they can reduce the land count to something like
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    2 Savannah
    4 Land Grant
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Abundant Harvest

Unfortunately in general this is a worse combo enabler than Crop Rotation or Living Wish, which will always find the target card without deforming your deck. But sometimes you need more than 4 Crop Rots.

I think this has more playability in fair decks than in unfair decks.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Is this treasure hunt 5-8?

4x Abundant Harvest
    4x Treasure Hint
    2x Zombie Infestation
    50x lands

A meme is reborn.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

I'd be more interested in this if once upon a time didn't exist. So...possibly in pioneer it could work? Or like mentioned some fringe deck where the only land you're running is a cradle or sanctum etc. Maybe we could build a deck which runs 1 dark depths and 1 thespian stage but no other lands? I dunno...
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Is this treasure hunt 5-8?

4x Abundant Harvest
    4x Treasure Hint
    2x Zombie Infestation
    50x lands

A meme is reborn.
    Not quite since in zombie hunt you need the lands in hand.
    ...WHich is why they play oracle now.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Not quite since in zombie hunt you need the lands in hand.
    ...WHich is why they play oracle now.
    I'm just saying it finds a non-land card in a deck chock full of lands, it's like a super-cantrip. It doesn't functionally act as a Treasure Cruise but it finds a treasure cruise, another copy of itself, or zombie infestation for only G.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I'm just saying it finds a non-land card in a deck chock full of lands, it's like a super-cantrip. It doesn't functionally act as a Treasure Cruise but it finds a treasure cruise, another copy of itself, or zombie infestation for only G.
    Right but what makes the zombie hunt deck work isn't that your hand contains 6 lands and zombie infestation to make 3 2/2s. It's that treasure hunt let you draw all those blanks in between so that you could instead make a lethal amount of 2/2s.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Sure, that's the combo. The amount of times you mulligan to a Treasure Hunt is absurd, and sometimes you still don't make it. Having this in your opening hand means you can functionally make your mulligans more likely to hit a Treasure Hunt.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    This is pretty good at finding Serra's Sanctum in Lollines.dec

That means they can reduce the land count to something like
    4 Serra's Sanctum
    2 Savannah
    4 Land Grant
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Abundant Harvest

Unfortunately in general this is a worse combo enabler than Crop Rotation or Living Wish, which will always find the target card without deforming your deck. But sometimes you need more than 4 Crop Rots.

I think this has more playability in fair decks than in unfair decks.
    This is def the most spicy idea so far
    Idk what the lists normally look like but I feel like you want to play either Crop Roto or this new card but not both
    Obviously the "find spell" mode is pretty crap when the chance of hitting just an off-colour leyline is so high, but it's not nothing, and the "find land" mode feels better than crop rot for a deck built like 4x power-land 4x land grant 1 forest

Thread Information