Thread: Zuro's Weirding

Zuro's Weirding

The synergy between Uro and Zur's Weirding actually seems kind of nuts

- Uro gives you lifegain for Zur's Weirding
    - Uro comes back from GY so you can still access a wincon easily (opponent cannot pay life with Zur's Weirding to stop you from having it)
    - If your opponent blocks your draw with Zur's Weirding it puts cards in your GY for Uro escape

3U Enchantment "Opponent can't draw cards" seems decent right? idk

I guess things might get weird if the opponent is also playing Uro but you can put some cling to dust in the deck to fix that (which by itself can also be lifegain for your Zur's Weirding).

I think the best shell for it is some kind of fairly-generic BUG deck because of the synergy with discard spells (Zur's Weirding is much better the closer to hellbent your opponent is when it resolves). [and Cling]

2 Forest
    2 Island
    1 Swamp
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Misty Rainforest
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Tropical Island
    2 Bayou
    2 Underground Sea

4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Abrupt Decay
    1 Life from the Loam (not so exciting because the manabase is bland but it's another thing that gets around Zur's Weirding / fuels Uro) [EDIT possibly a good idea to fit some wasteland otherwise Karakas potentially extremely annoying]
    2 Cling to Dust
    2 Force of Negation

4 Baleful Strix
    4 Uro

3 Zur's Weirding
    1 Other wincon like a JTMS or something

X Discard spells (it's better if your opponent is hellbent or near-hellbent when you resolve a Zur's Weirding, and it's more proactive spells in your gy for Uro)

Then whatever random stuff like Drown in the Loch or Snapcaster etc you get the idea (edit: some sylvan library too probably)
    Last edited by kombatkiwi; 04-13-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Re: Zuro's Weirding

Zur's Weirding is one of my favourite cards of all the time, and yes it's perfect with uro but
    1) Should be good with the rest of the deck too
    2) Uro is widely played by other decks too
    3) Without acceleration, it's too slow.

The best build for it would be a Bant style version, with creatures (to put early pressure on the opponent and have a favourable board situation when we play zur), dorks to accelerate and flexible response to Uro/good card in a stalemate like Ooze.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    Zur's Weirding is one of my favourite cards of all the time, and yes it's perfect with uro but
    1) Should be good with the rest of the deck too
    2) Uro is widely played by other decks too
    3) Without acceleration, it's too slow.
    I agree. You want to break the symmetry so it's much better for you than it is for the opponent. If you're just playing BUG Uro good stuff mirrors, you aren't breaking the symmetry, you're both denying each other equivalent cards and both using the graveyard.

One way to do that is to just use the graveyard more, e.g. more Life from the Loam. That also gives you Mox Diamond acceleration and the possibility of Chalice @ 1 to block commonly played gravehate and cantrips that would break your gameplan.

I like the idea. But there are a lot of challenges to overcome. In addition to it needing acceleration as mentioned above, you need both lifegain and to be ahead on board.

Even if you have uro, if you drop this vs a flipped delver you just gave them infinite mental missteps. They don’t care if you prevent them from drawing if they can stop you from doing anything and then force the uro escape. It’s like a standstill except it comes down on t5 not t2.

Also you need more lifegain if you are a control deck. You are going to escape uro once or twice. Bolt plus a single dever hit means you are behind on the life race and will lose to your own card.

I prefer the drawless engine approach to sidestep the draw effect entirely. The best home imo is lands since you have lots of acceleration, and both life from the loam and valakut exploration sidestep this. This also REALLY punishes opponents’ plows; and makes the chip damage from Pfire and valakut exploration more relevant.

This card is already basically a counterbalance for cantrips, I don’t think you need chalice.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I like the idea. But there are a lot of challenges to overcome. In addition to it needing acceleration as mentioned above, you need both lifegain and to be ahead on board.

Even if you have uro, if you drop this vs a flipped delver you just gave them infinite mental missteps. They don’t care if you prevent them from drawing if they can stop you from doing anything and then force the uro escape. It’s like a standstill except it comes down on t5 not t2.

Also you need more lifegain if you are a control deck. You are going to escape uro once or twice. Bolt plus a single dever hit means you are behind on the life race and will lose to your own card.

I prefer the drawless engine approach to sidestep the draw effect entirely. The best home imo is lands since you have lots of acceleration, and both life from the loam and valakut exploration sidestep this
    I second this, it's a strong card to slam on the board once you're ahead like standstill. You also need 4 lands in your hand/play (5 if your opponent is running WL) to ensure you can escape Uro. You could just run 1 or 2 in existing Uro decks. Zur's weirding plus firemane angel was my favourite standard deck when I got into mtg .
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

I prefer the drawless engine approach to sidestep the draw effect entirely. The best home imo is lands since you have lots of acceleration, and both life from the loam and valakut exploration sidestep this. This also REALLY punishes opponents’ plows; and makes the chip damage from Pfire and valakut exploration more relevant.

This card is already basically a counterbalance for cantrips, I don’t think you need chalice.
    Agree, i too think that lands can be the best deck to play this card (sadly)

Agree, i too think that lands can be the best deck to play this card (sadly)
    Why sadly? The best way to succeed with jank is to fit them into an established shell. The core cards of legacy are so strong (chalice/brainstorm/daze/force of will/Gsz/crop/vial/wasteland/dark ritual/LED/legal moxen) that only degenerate gy decks can get by without them.

If I tried to make dark ritualling into curse of misfortunes in a dedicated combo shell I never would have succeeded. By copying the established “big mana” shell of Chandra/karn stompy i was able to compete.

It’s much easier to “do the cool thing” when the rest of your deck is strong too.

Another cool thing I have tried to make work is durdling with flagstones of trokair for value. In a dedicated WB pox shell I never got the deck good enough to play in leagues.

As a side note, I love pox but I think it is one of the worst decks right now. Mostly it doesn’t play any of the aforementioned cards except for wasteland and sometimes dark ritual. Basically every other deck plays at least 2 of them if it isn’t a yolo all-in gy or t1 combo deck. It’s no surprise that in my opinion the best decks in the format play 4 of them (delver and Doomsday)

But by putting it as just another thing you can do in a stronger deck (depths) you got gw depths. And you can do the durdle thing more often because they need to respect your other strong plans (dark depths or field of the dead for example) so they can’t bring in dedicated hate (say leyline of the void)
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 04-15-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Expounded on why pox is bad

Sep 2011

Last edited by FTW; 04-15-2021 at 11:27 AM.

I like this build a lot FTW. I don’t think we can afford the off colour basics and duals though over port.

Sep 2011

I like this build a lot FTW. I don’t think we can afford the off colour basics and duals though over port.
    It's tough. Going 3 colors over 2 colors means the deck needs more color fixing. On the other hand, Zur's fills the prison role of "you can't play spells" so maybe this doesn't need Port as badly. RG needs Port because it has no other stack/hand interaction. What else would you cut instead for blue mana?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's tough. Going 3 colors over 2 colors means the deck needs more color fixing. On the other hand, Zur's fills the prison role of "you can't play spells" so maybe this doesn't need Port as badly. RG needs Port because it has no other stack/hand interaction. What else would you cut instead for blue mana?
    this list plays 3 ports, no off colour duals basics, and is even greedier (uro)

I think you can at least cut the mountain and volc (extra r sources from grove) for 2 port

Sep 2011

this list plays 3 ports, no off colour duals basics, and is even greedier (uro)

I think you can at least cut the mountain and volc (extra r sources from grove) for 2 port
    Good point. Could cut
    -1 Mountain
    -1 Snow Forest
    -1 Volc
    +2 Port
    +1 Academy Ruins

Also swap 2 Wooded Foothills for 2 more Misty so they can all fetch all colored lands.

I forgot about Academy Ruins, one of the best things about UG Lands along with Intuition piles tutoring for 3 different cards.
    At least 1 copy of Uro seems good too.

Hall of Heliod's Generosity would allow recursion & Intuition piles with Zur's (and Valakut) but then the deck needs white mana too.

I think you really want 1 World Tree in there. It's super color fixing and makes all your non mana lands make mana too. Cost to include is minimal given the benefits. The two Purphuros' work pretty well with field/depths as well if you feel like including some Gods so you can activate it, but that seems a bit too cute. Just take the mana fixing.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Wouldn't Klothys, God of Destiny be really good with Zur's Weirding?

You pay 2 life, put the card into the GY, then you exile it afterwards with Klothys and drain for 2 (as long as that wasn't a land, this is self-sustaining). If they don't have any draw sources at hand, they'll never draw another card again.

Sep 2011

Klothys does sound amazing. Even better than Uro, which is resource-intensive to keep escaping.

Some RUG shell with Zur's, Klothys, Punishing Fire board control, maybe 1 Uro.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

If you run PF (and Loam), then a few Quandrix Apprentice might be interesting. Hell, throw in 1-2 Flame Jab as well since it can operate even with Weirding active.

Use GSZ to use Klothys, Uro, Apprentice, or even Dryad Arbor/Hierarch to speed things up.

This was an attempt of mine, a year ago. Never really tried bc of Uro's expensiveness, but maybe now it can be different
    It surely needs less grave and more zenith, probably some deeds too, but it's another shell that can use Zur's well (Therapy is good, veteran ramps for it...)

Sep 2011

This was an attempt of mine, a year ago. Never really tried bc of Uro's expensiveness, but maybe now it can be different. It surely needs less grave and more zenith, probably some deeds too, but it's another shell that can use Zur's well (Therapy is good, veteran ramps for it...)
    Maybe
    -4 Commune
    -4 Ghast
    -3 Oko
    -1 Vraska
    -2 Leap
    -1 Uro
    -1 Diabolic

+2 Zur's
    +2 Klothys
    +2 GSZ
    +1 Veteran