Thread: Snow Much Value (Jorn Snow)

Snow Much Value (Jorn Snow)

So, I played in 11 leagues during the token period and this was the most fun deck I tried despite being my worst result (1-4 ). So, I really want to try to improve it! I mentally scrapped this deck when Labe got banned but felt like trying it, then found out Sunstone and Winter's Chill don't exist on mtgo . I'll run it back in paper with those two sometime. I lost to two terminus decks which seems like a terrible matchup as terminus/swords invalidate Jorn returning things and also lost to oops despite LotV which is a coin toss mu. I beat maverick and lost close games to grixis midrange. So, I think the deck could definitely do better with a less rough gauntlet.

Synergies:
    Jorn a.k.a 'Snow Lurrus' and frost augur are the core value engines in the deck.
    Ponder/mirri's guile/slumber help out frost augur.
    Dead of winter is excellent since every critter is snow.
    Draugr stops Uro.
    Jorn plus priest is cute.
    Jorn plus mox diamond = pitching a land then returning it.

2 Abominable Treefolk
    2 Avalanche Caller
    2 Draugr Necromancer
    4 Frost Augur
    4 Ice-Fang Coatl
    4 Jorn, God of Winter
    2 Marit Lage's Slumber
    1 Priest of the Haunted Edge

3 Ponder
    3 Dead of Winter
    2 Glacial Revelation
    4 Force of Will
    1 Mirri's Guile

3 Mox Diamond

4 Prismatic Vista
    6 Snow-Covered Forest
    7 Snow-Covered Island
    5 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Polluted Delta

SB
    3 Abrupt Decay
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Thoughtseize
    1 Dead of Winter
    2 Control Magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Re: Snow Much Value (Jorn Snow)

The manabase looks unstable without Astrolabes.

Is this a budget deck? If not you can smooth out the mana and draws just by going
    -7 basics
    -3 Mox Diamond
    +4 Misty Rainforest
    +1 Underground Sea
    +1 Tropical Island
    +4 Brainstorm

That would still leave you with a whopping 11 snow basics, plenty. Brainstorm gets 9 fetchlands for support, more than enough. You would lose some snow count for Frost Augur, but Brainstorm+fetch gives more library manipulation and thinning.

Mirri's Guile is card disadvantage. Once you have other cantrips, it's probably just better as a 4th Ponder. If you want something repeatable to set up Frost Augur that isn't card disadvantage without it, 1-2 Sylvan Library are good.

I like the sequence of mox diamond pitch snow land into the 1UB artifact, and returning coatls seems decent lategame, but coatl already got so much worse with astrolabe banned and the rest of the deck just feels like fluff The rest of the snow cards aren't good enough to justify playing the Augur I don't think and I also don't think you need so many to make Jorn good

Im not up to date with all the snow creatures but some Boreal Druid seems probably better than most of the the random Avalanche Caller / 4 Drops

Sep 2011

Coatl should be even better here than it was in Astrolabe decks. Why would it be bad? This has more than double the Snow count of Snowko decks.

If you want to milk the Mox Diamond + Jorn engine for ramp, then I think the deck would be better in a BUG Lands direction.

Life from the Loam
    Intuition
    Exploration
    Sylvan Library
    Ice-Fang Coatl

Intuition for Loam+Jorn+Volrath's Stronghold gets you access to all 3 cards (eventually), which gives lategame inevitability.

Avalanche Caller has better opportunity to shine with that level of land ramp and with Jorn to recur it.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Coatl should be even better here than it was in Astrolabe decks. Why would it be bad? This has more than double the Snow count of Snowko decks.

If you want to milk the Mox Diamond + Jorn engine for ramp, then I think the deck would be better in a BUG Lands direction.

Life from the Loam
    Intuition
    Exploration
    Sylvan Library
    Ice-Fang Coatl

Intuition for Loam+Jorn+Volrath's Stronghold gets you access to all 3 cards (eventually), which gives lategame inevitability.

Avalanche Caller has better opportunity to shine with that level of land ramp and with Jorn to recur it.
    The sequence of basic, Astro, basic, coatl gave you deathtouch on turn 2 and the fixing to cast it even if one of your basics wasn't blue or green
    To do a similar thing here you have to go exactly Island, Augur, Forest, Coatl, which is much more difficult
    I'm not saying that coatl is necessarily bad, just that not having astrolabe does make it seem a lot worse than it was in the preban snowko decks

Sep 2011

What about lines like T1 Swamp Mox Avalanche Caller T2 Island/Forest Coatl?

These types of decks almost always sequence/fetch Snow Island first anyway. 2nd target is usually Forest or 2nd Island. Mox Diamond color fixes so you don't even need both and allows any snow 2-drop too. So T2 deathtouch coatl should not be much more difficult, especially if OP improves the manabase with more fetches and UG-heavy.

For hands without T1 Astrolabe/Augur (didn't draw it or needed to cast something else), or where you had to play a nonbasic, or where you'd need to play something other than Coatl on turn 2, this deck is even more likely to make Coatl good on T3 or later. More total snow lands, more snow permanents, synergy with Augur and Jorn and the other card draw...

Coatl is much worse in post-ban Snowko than preban Snowko, but this also has a lot more Snow going for it than Snowko did.

Psilovibin
    Apr 2008

I wanted to necro this after seeing a new deck on the cEDH Moxfield list. Jorn BUG stax with stuff like Winter Orb, Static Orb, and more importantly for this format, Stasis. The rest of the list is mostly just the stock EDH BUG staples.

Jorn untaps your Snow-Covered Islands to pay for Stasis upkeep. 3 toughness puts him right in range of Lightning Bolt, but its another potential piece for a Stasis lock. Jorn beats for 3 and untaps itself with the attack trigger. So in some sense its a 2G 3/3 vigiliance beater that combos with Stasis. Kaldring is not as exciting tho one can play Snow-Covered Basics from the yard each turn, or Jorn if you draw more than one. Compared to Garruk it costs a G less, and untaps more than 2 lands each turn as the game goes on.

Another card I quite liked I recently discovered was Urban Burgeoning on a basic Island, or Snow-Covered Island. Also a potential piece for a Stasis lock, seem a bit safer against Wasteland than Forsaken City. When it doesn't make a Stasis lock, one mana on the opponent's turn could be good on a low curve for low cmc countermagic and removal like Suspend.

The list doesn't have to be a turbo Stasis, Stasis centric deck. Question is, how best to use all that mana.
    Luck is a residue of design.

I'm an aspiring Psychedelic Trance musician. Please feel free to enjoy my sense of life:
    http://soundcloud.com/vacrix

Expect me or die. I play SI.

Thread Information