Thread: [SCD] Conspiracy Theorist

Hybrid View

[SCD] Conspiracy Theorist

This card from strixhaven seems very powerful, but hasn't seen much discussion:

Creature — Human Shaman

Whenever Conspiracy Theorist attacks, you may pay {1} and discard a card. If you do, draw a card.

Whenever you discard one or more nonland cards, you may exile one of them from your graveyard. If you do, you may cast it this turn.
    2/2
    For example, it's very strong with stuff that relies on discard to be balanced like Lion's Eye Diamond or Gamble. I'm stuck wondering about something that combines Ridddlesmith as a looting engine with the conspiracy theorist and 0cc artifacts:

Conspiracy Theorist
    Riddlesmith
    Echo of Eons
    Careful Study
    Faithless Looting
    Grapeshot

Chrome Mox
    Mox Opal
    Lotus Petal
    Lion's Eye Diamond
    Urza's Bauble
    Mishra's Bauble

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [SCD] Conspiracy Theorist

Gamble is definitely a good find as it as Theorist turns it essentially into a 1-mana Demonic Tutor.

Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is also worth mentioning as it's on-color and allows you to draw your entire deck on demand. You can then win from there with LED + Oracle.

Ovalchase Daredevil is another classic pairing with Ridddlesmith.

Artificer’s Intuition seems busted to give you almost infinite LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is also worth mentioning as it's on-color and allows you to draw your entire deck on demand. You can then win from there with LED + Oracle.
    Harnfel doesn't draw so you need something like Vega, the Watcher to turn the exiled cards back into cards that can be discarded.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Harnfel doesn't draw so you need something like Vega the Watcher to turn the exiled cards back into cards that can be discarded.
    Nevermind, I remembered the card wrong. But still, free Ancestral Recalls are nothing to sneeze at.

I've tried it, and was actually a bit disappointed. I tried different variations of my riddlesmith + ovalchase daredevil deck that I played a bit last year but I also had birgi and sometimes faithless looting in. The main problem was that in that deck at least the card did not do anything if I already had ovalchase daredevil. With daredevil you always discard daredevil, and you don't want to put that in exile. While in theory it could be nice to have if you don't yet found a daredevil, in practice that never came up as I usually had to pass the turn with either riddlesmith or conspiracy theorist in play (i could not afford to cast both in a single turn), and both are really easy to kill. One of the strengths of riddlesmith+daredevil is that you can cast riddlesmith turn 1, opponent lets it go because they might have a bolt, and then I start to chain artifacts so even if I have to pass the turn I have lots of mana in play and multiple bauble triggers when they remove it.

The LED interaction was kind of nice sometimes, it's cool to play t1 conspiracy theorist, t2 LED, sacrifice it and discard multiple daredevils, keep and play Horn of harnfeld, the daredevils return to hand and you can go off. Never happened in a real game, but it would be cool at least :)

I do agree you need to be able to go off without passing the turn if you have an led at least.

See the truth is an ancestral
    Echo of Eons is a mull to 8
    Brought Back is a dark ritual with a fetch or petal.
    shadow of the grave turns led into a petal.

What if you want it to use as an engine? With lilliana of the veil and stuff like that!?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Thread Information