Thread: UWR super prowess

May 2021
    Czech republic

UWR super prowess

Hello, with strixhaven we have one new nice card - clever Luminancer. I try to built deck with her,so:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uwr-super-prowess-deck/ this is where I started (finish 3-1, 8 players, standings,) and now will testing this version:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uwr-prowess-super/ if someone want to try it.. I will be happy for any ideas after testing.

Re: UWR super prowess

Looks pretty good, I like the Gigadrowse idea

- I wonder if Shadow Rift is better than TBR
    - Maybe you can make the deck just UW for better mana
    - Otherwise if you want to keep playing red then Ground Rift is also a card you can consider

May 2021
    Czech republic

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Looks pretty good, I like the Gigadrowse idea

- I wonder if Shadow Rift is better than TBR
    - Maybe you can make the deck just UW for better mana
    - Otherwise if you want to keep playing red then Ground Rift is also a card you can consider
    I really want to run it wit Red..its more agressive, can play more cards.... Ground rift sounds interesting..but...need to find place :D :D

TBR is really awesome, double strike and almost every time trample, so cute

Ended my first league with your deck. I almost never paly fow/daze/ponder decks so i'm sure i've missed a lot of things and made tons of mistakes.
    2-3, lost against Shadow, UR delver and Bant stoneblade
    Won against UG omni and Julian23 with RW Painter/Dreadnought

Overall i've felt the the tension of lumimancer and the management of resources, especially for manamorphose. I've sided out Gigadrowse a lot and yeah, i think that Ground Rift is a thing that we have to try bc it opens so much ways to close the game + it makes Nivmagus way better.

May 2021
    Czech republic

Quote Originally Posted by Memories of the Time View Post
    Ended my first league with your deck. I almost never paly fow/daze/ponder decks so i'm sure i've missed a lot of things and made tons of mistakes.
    2-3, lost against Shadow, UR delver and Bant stoneblade
    Won against UG omni and Julian23 with RW Painter/Dreadnought

Overall i've felt the the tension of lumimancer and the management of resources, especially for manamorphose. I've sided out Gigadrowse a lot and yeah, i think that Ground Rift is a thing that we have to try bc it opens so much ways to close the game + it makes Nivmagus way better.
    Did you enjoy play? your SB was same or you made some changes? I think about ground rift too... where was problem with manabase? Maybe another steam vents instead of plateau? I think to remove karakas from MB and one island for one mountain...

Jun 2019
    USA

I might drop stormwing for sprite dragon. I think the counters staying around is more powerful, plus it can actually come down turn 2 if you need it to.

In regards to the manabase, I'm not sure we want to even try playing around blood moon\b2b. 3 Volc, 3 Tundra, 4 waste, 8 fetch might be the way to go.

Sep 2011

The Temur Battle Rage + Mutagenic Growth + Gigadrowse/Ground Rift/Fluster thing is cute but high variance. Years ago I tried a similar thing in Modern with Nivmagus Elemental, Monastery Swiftspear and Kiln Fiend. It's very explosive and fun, especially goldfishing or against casual decks, but in a competitive field it's too all-in and wins less than just playing regular Prowess aggro. Since it takes at least 3 mana to pull off, the combo doesn't actually speed up the Prowess clock any faster than just adding Fireblast (or playing Chain of Smog) or win with pump spells faster than UG Infect can. More moving pieces without a gain in speed. It might work better in Modern.

For Legacy, Luminancer could just function as another copy of Monastery Swiftspear in a fair URx Prowess deck.

//Creatures: 13
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    1 Brazen Borrower

//Spells: 29
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Preordain
    2 Expressive Iteration
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    1 Fireblast

//Lands: 18
    4 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Island

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Rip Apart
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Rough // Tumble
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 True-Name Nemesis

With 12 aggressive 1 drops, this strategy can apply fast pressure while disrupting the opponent with 10 free counters and 6 1 cmc spot removal. Good tempo. Cantrips and burn spells can be cast proactively to trigger Prowess.

If you want to stick with the combo, I think Temur Battle Rage is the weakest point costing 2 mana while needing other pump spells to do much. That's the tempo bottleneck. Assault Strobe gives double strike for less mana. It doesn't give trample, but you can just Ground Rift/remove the blocker and then at least you're triggering Magecraft more times for the 2 mana. If you cut TBR, then you could consider going Esper with Chain of Smog...

Sticking in UWR

//Creatures: 14
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Nivmagus Elemental
    2 Sprite Dragon

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Gut Shot
    2 Ground Rift
    2 Assault Strobe
    4 Daze

//Lands: 17
    3 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    Last edited by FTW; 05-06-2021 at 07:30 PM.

May 2021
    Czech republic

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The Temur Battle Rage + Mutagenic Growth + Gigadrowse/Ground Rift/Fluster thing is cute but high variance. Years ago I tried a similar thing in Modern with Nivmagus Elemental, Monastery Swiftspear and Kiln Fiend. It's very explosive and fun, especially goldfishing or against casual decks, but in a competitive field it's too all-in and wins less than just playing regular Prowess aggro. Since it takes at least 3 mana to pull off, the combo doesn't actually speed up the Prowess clock any faster than just adding Fireblast (or playing Chain of Smog) or win with pump spells faster than UG Infect can. More moving pieces without a gain in speed. It might work better in Modern.

For Legacy, Luminancer could just function as another copy of Monastery Swiftspear in a fair URx Prowess deck.

//Creatures: 13
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Monastery Swiftspear
    1 Brazen Borrower

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Preordain
    2 Expressive Iteration
    4 Daze
    2 Force of Negation
    1 Fireblast

//Lands: 18
    4 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Island

3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Shattering Spree
    1 Rip Apart
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Rough // Tumble
    1 Forked Bolt
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 True-Name Nemesis

With 12 aggressive 1 drops, this strategy can apply fast pressure while disrupting the opponent with 10 free counters and 6 1 cmc spot removal. Good tempo. Cantrips and burn spells can be cast proactively to trigger Prowess.

If you want to stick with the combo, I think Temur Battle Rage is the weakest point costing 2 mana while needing other pump spells to do much. That's the tempo bottleneck. Assault Strobe gives double strike for less mana. It doesn't give trample, but you can just Ground Rift/remove the blocker and then at least you're triggering Magecraft more times for the 2 mana. If you cut TBR, then you could consider going Esper with Chain of Smog...

Sticking in UWR

//Creatures: 14
    4 Delver of Secrets
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Nivmagus Elemental
    2 Sprite Dragon

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Flusterstorm
    2 Gut Shot
    2 Ground Rift
    2 Assault Strobe
    4 Daze

//Lands: 17
    3 Wasteland
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Scalding Tarn
    3 Volcanic Island
    3 Tundra
    Nice idea, but delver is so useless here so I never play him again in this kind of deck...I dont have volcanic and play 3 steam vents is a little much for me... Clever with nivmagus is awesome so I still play both of them :) but sure, play your build it seems good

so I decide to play this build https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/uwr-prowess-super/

Sep 2011

Fun build! What are your results like?

I had some thoughts about this build, if you want to commit to the grow plan instead of having the fair Delver backup plan:
    -StP is bad for racing. Zoo never wanted it.
    -Clever Lumimancer is a bit of a nonbo with Flusterstorm if opponent makes you counter on their turn or postcombat, but Dragonsguard Elite doesn't care when you cast the card
    -Temur Battle Rage is worse than Berserk

Why not play green?

//Creatures: 12
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Nivmagus Elemental
    4 Dragonsguard Elite

//Spells: 32
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Flusterstorm
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Gut Shot
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Mutagenic Growth
    2 Scale Up
    2 Berserk

//Lands: 15
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 Island
    1 Forest

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Return to Nature
    1 Force of Vigor
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Submerge
    1 Berserk
    1 Veil of Summer
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Orim's Chant

8 creatures that can become permanently big no matter when you cast Flusterstorm (not just precombat).

Cheaper ways to make your attacker explosive.
    Scale Up gives Lumimancer +8/+5 for 1 mana!! +5/+2 to Nivmagus and +5/+3 to Dragonsguard. Seems good.
    Berserk is a full turn faster than TBR.

This can theoretically win on turn 2
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Scale Up + Berserk = 20 damage trample
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Berserk + Gut Shot/Daze/FoW on Berserk + Fluster @ Daze = 20 damage trample
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Scale Up + Mutagenic Growth + Gut Shot/Daze + Fluster @ Gut Shot = 22 damage
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 cantrip/Veil + Gut Shot/Daze/FoW + Mutagenic Growth + Berserk = 20 damage trample
    T1 Nivmagus. T2 Gut Shot + Daze it + Berserk + Fluster the Daze (exile 4 copies of Fluster + Daze = +10/+10) = 22 damage trample
    T1 Nivmagus. T2 Scale Up + Mutagenic Growth + Daze + Fluster (exile Fluster copies + Daze = +10/+10) = 18 damage

Turn 3-4 wins are easier.

The cool thing is this can either play a grindy fair game or just race explosively.
    Last edited by FTW; 05-08-2021 at 09:52 PM.

May 2021
    Czech republic

Why no green? simple - dont have green lands :D :(...but this seems nice :)

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Fun build! What are your results like?

I had some thoughts about this build, if you want to commit to the grow plan instead of having the fair Delver backup plan:
    -StP is bad for racing. Zoo never wanted it.
    -Clever Lumimancer is a bit of a nonbo with Flusterstorm if opponent makes you counter on their turn or postcombat, but Dragonsguard Elite doesn't care when you cast the card
    -Temur Battle Rage is worse than Berserk

Why not play green?

//Creatures: 12
    4 Clever Lumimancer
    4 Nivmagus Elemental
    4 Dragonsguard Elite

//Spells: 32
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Flusterstorm
    3 Path to Exile
    2 Gut Shot
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Mutagenic Growth
    2 Scale Up
    2 Berserk

//Lands: 15
    4 Misty Rainforest
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Tundra
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Savannah
    1 Island
    1 Forest

3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Return to Nature
    1 Force of Vigor
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Path to Exile
    1 Submerge
    1 Berserk
    1 Veil of Summer
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Orim's Chant

8 creatures that can become permanently big no matter when you cast Flusterstorm (not just precombat).

Cheaper ways to make your attacker explosive.
    Scale Up gives Lumimancer +8/+5 for 1 mana!! +5/+2 to Nivmagus and +5/+3 to Dragonsguard. Seems good.
    Berserk is a full turn faster than TBR.

This can theoretically win on turn 2
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Scale Up + Berserk = 20 damage trample
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Berserk + Gut Shot/Daze/FoW on Berserk + Fluster @ Daze = 20 damage trample
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 Scale Up + Mutagenic Growth + Gut Shot/Daze + Fluster @ Gut Shot = 22 damage
    T1 Lumimancer. T2 cantrip/Veil + Gut Shot/Daze/FoW + Mutagenic Growth + Berserk = 20 damage trample
    T1 Nivmagus. T2 Gut Shot + Daze it + Berserk + Fluster the Daze (exile 4 copies of Fluster + Daze = +10/+10) = 22 damage trample
    T1 Nivmagus. T2 Scale Up + Mutagenic Growth + Daze + Fluster (exile Fluster copies + Daze = +10/+10) = 18 damage

Turn 3-4 wins are easier.

The cool thing is this can either play a grindy fair game or just race explosively.

Thread Information