Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legacy Eggs

Legacy Eggs

Since I could not really find a good thread for a legacy version of the eggs deck, I figured I would start one myself. (Edit: For some reason, now I can see past Eggs decks, though the most recent legacy version I could find was from 2008, should I necro that instead?)

Eggs!

Eggs is a rather elaborate combo deck that has it's whole deck structured around it. There are many different versions to build, I will start off by just showing you mine.

The decklist as I run it:

Mana sources

4 Crystal Vein
    3 Archaeological Dig
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    3 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Manamorphose

Eggs

4 Sungrass Egg
    4 Mossfire Egg
    2 Skycloud Egg
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Chromatic Sphere
    4 Conjurer's Bauble

Combo

4 Helm of Awakening
    1 Etherium Sculptor
    4 Second Sunrise
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    3 Grapeshot

Sideboard

Empty for now. (Help welcome!)

How the combo works:

Most of the time you end the game with Helm of Awakening, 2 Sensei's Divining Top and a Grapeshot. But you'll frequently end up killing with Grapeshot even though you have no Sensei's Divining Top or Helm of Awakening at all.

How the deck plays:

I tend to draw first. You'll most likely miss a land drop anyways and almost all of the cards in your hand will be used to get the combo out, so the more the better.

The deck usually ends the game with one big turn. You sacrifice all your eggs and lands and return them with a Second Sunrise. Then you repeat this until you get all the combo pieces or enough storm count for a lethal Grapeshot (or two).

However, how you get to this point depends a lot on your opening hand. If you're holding a Helm of Awakening, it is usually best not to play any eggs before you can play the helm. This increases the storm count on the turn you go off. If you're not holding a Helm of Awakening, use lands to cast eggs in the first turns, so you can attempt to go off without the helm.

If your opening hand is filled with mana and a Sensei's Divining Top, just top away on the first turns, so you know when to go for it.

You usually don't know if you're going to win once you start the combo. Deciding when to go for it is probably the most difficult decision to make in this deck. Though a lot also depends on which colors you float as you go off. This makes the deck interesting to goldfish with. You can still fail even if you get to play the top 20 cards of your deck.

What's missing?

Obviously, there is no sideboard yet. You have no way to protect yourself. And it is pretty hard to replace cards in the maindeck since it's such a complete machine.

Is it any good?

Since it has no protection, it's probably not viable in legacy in this shape. It can often combo out between turn 2 and 4, sometimes even on turn one. So there seems to be some potential there. Although your odds of winning early become much worse when you take mulligans. It is a great deck to have lying around though. I often pick it up when I feel like solving a puzzle, rather than playing against someone.

Please share your versions of the Eggs deck and do some suggestions to improve my build.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Re: Legacy Eggs

This is what I have sleeved up when I want to have fun. I love eggs. Sweet thread.

Lands (15)
    4 Crystal Vein
    3 Ancient Tomb
    4 Swamp
    3 Plains
    1 Island

Artifacts (23)
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Helm of Obedience
    4 Darkwater Egg
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Chromatic Sphere
    3 Conjurer's Bauble

Instants (18)
    4 Meditate
    4 Faith's Reward
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Cabal Ritual
    2 Enlightened Tutor

Sorceries (4)
    2 Read the Bones
    2 Tendrils of Agony

Is there any decent coverage of this deck in action?
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Mar 2016
    Calgary, AB

Here's what I run when I'm feeling feisty:

4 Archaeological Dig
    4 Cephalid Coliseum
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Crystal Vein

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Crop Rotation

3 Noxious Revival
    4 Second Sunrise
    4 Faith's Reward

4 Conjurer's Bauble
    4 Chromatic Sphere
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Sungrass Egg
    4 Skycloud Egg

3 Orim's Chant
    1 Abeyance
    1 Echoing Truth

SB: 4 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 4 Defense Grid
    SB: 2 Echoing Truth
    SB: 4 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 1 Laboratory Maniac

Notes:

-typically goes off turn 2-3
    -rarely fizzles when going off
    -can potentially go off at instant speed
    -win condition is part of the engine
    -5 maindeck protection slots (can expand to 7-9 post-sideboard)
    -sideboard could probably use some work (I mostly focused on beating counters and CotV)
    -Crop Rotation and Cephalid Coliseum are the tits

I wouldn't consider Eggs to be a competitive deck choice, but it's definitely a fun one and can usually take a few games or even a couple of matches on Legacy night.

Skipjack, I think I might be missing something... how can your list finish the game?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Two View Post
    Skipjack, I think I might be missing something... how can your list finish the game?
    Cephalid Coliseum says target player so you make your opponent draw their deck. That's how I see it anyways. It is a cute list and I might have to give it a spin for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    Cephalid Coliseum says target player so you make your opponent draw their deck. That's how I see it anyways. It is a cute list and I might have to give it a spin for fun.
    Ah! That's what I missed. I like it!

So I am really interested in this deck, so I decided to make my own. This is my list:

Artifact (36)
    4x Chromatic Sphere
    +

-

4x Chromatic Star
    4x Conjurer's Bauble
    4x Darkwater Egg
    4x Helm of Awakening
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Mossfire Egg
    4x Skycloud Egg
    4x Sungrass Egg
    Land (12)
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Crystal Vein
    2x Forest
    2x Plains
    Creature (2)
    2x Tinder Wall
    Instant (9)
    2x Crop Rotation
    3x Faith's Reward
    4x Second Sunrise
    Sorcery (2)
    2x Grapeshot

It is really hilarious and goldfishes turn 3 regularly, and I am really loving it. What would you guys do to make this better? I don't know Legacy enough to build it optimally.

!
    Jan 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfThePanda View Post
    What would you guys do to make this better?
    Ban Force of Will...

Apr 2014
    Bristol, UK

Having goldfished the above lists for funsies I think Skipjack's is my fave. The streamlining of what eggs are used with the mix of protection and everything really make it shine. The list with the red eggs etc seems to be a tad diluted....
    The Doomsday Codex

We're catching bullets in our teeth,
    Its hard to do but they're so sweet.
    And if they take a couple out,
    We try to work things out.....

Meow.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsthethird View Post
    Ban Force of Will...
    And Tormod's Crypt.

I have a 59 decklist here. It was an old deck built a few years ago, and I'm not positive what it's missing, but I'm posting to give people a few other card choices:

12 Forest
    4 Ghost Quarter (? moar forest??)

Lotus Petal
    Chromatic Star
    Chromatic Sphere
    Tinder Wall
    Squandered Resources
    Gaea's Touch
    Wild Cantor
    Sungrass Egg
    1 Conjurer's Bauble

Second Sunrise
    Faith's Reward
    2 Burning Wish

Probably wants LED, too. It's pretty fun! And super budget, minus LED.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."
    Drunken Master strategy. If I don't know what I'm doing, how would you?

Back when this was actually a deck (although I wouldn't say it was ever a real legacy contender) It used Cunning wish and Lion's eye diamond.

But, being on the budget ide I presume LEDs are off (but so should be the City of traitors). Still, you will need a way to protect your combo. Either by running discard or counterspells, or at leas autumn's veil, guttural resposne type of cards, which may be more within your color pie (althouhg, having egg gives you full access to colors).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    Back when this was actually a deck (although I wouldn't say it was ever a real legacy contender) It used Cunning wish and Lion's eye diamond.

But, being on the budget ide I presume LEDs are off (but so should be the City of traitors). Still, you will need a way to protect your combo. Either by running discard or counterspells, or at leas autumn's veil, guttural resposne type of cards, which may be more within your color pie (althouhg, having egg gives you full access to colors).
    The mono-forest version you can run City of Solitude, or just Autumn's Veil pretty easily. It's just a fun deck, def not going to be Legacy competitive.
    Final Ritual: "I was your round 14 opponent with the 3 giant goyfs. I didn't know what the fuck you were piloting."

also, you should be running fetchlands in addition to ghost querters ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miagi View Post
    also, you should be running fetchlands in addition to ghost querters ;)
    Edge of Autumn is (or was) a thing in modern eggs lists.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Edge of Autumn is (or was) a thing in modern eggs lists.
    I just shuffled it up. Def all forests. And Wild Cantor should probably be at least 2 more eggs (UW).

Still, winning with Bitter Ordeal is pretty tech in my book.

Played skipjacks list at weekly legacy and had a blast going 0-3. Been goldfishing the list for about 2 weeks to get my muscle memory down and memorizing the various lines. I did cut the Abeyance for a 4th Orim's Chant and a Crop Rotation for a LED (mistake, Crop Rot. is amazing).

Round 1 vs Aluren she dropped the namesake enchantment t3 on the play then passed the turn, i attempted to go off the next turn by first casting Chant, but she responded with Leovold. I cast another Chant, she cast another Leovold and so I passed the turn hoping to Echoing Truth it EOT. She then comboed off on her turn. Game 2 I started the combo on t2 with about 5 mana and had about 5-6 looks via Coliseum and eggs at a Sunrise/Reward but couldn't find one and fizzled. Needed to go off that turn b/c of a DRS and a Cabal Therapy that would've been flashbacked the next turn.

Round 2 vs Miracles FoW killed me g1, I combod out g2 off baiting FoW with Chant then dropping DGrid before decking him, g3 I punted HARD by cracking a Sungrass Egg and shortcutting the same mana leaving GW{C} in my pool and not filtering the {C} into W; I had a Petal out and had 3 Sunrises in hand and needed an Orim's Chant (and I knew it) to guarantee the win (he had 4 cards in hand), of course I draw the chant, but can't cast it + Sunrise, so I lose to his FoW.

Round 3 vs Burn I win g1 pretty easily, g2 die quickly to a Fireblast while trying to power through a Pyrostatic Pillar, g3 I have 5 mana and 6-7 looks at a Sunrise/Reward on turn 2 but fizzle out.

Overall an awesome deck to play, as I said cutting a Crop Rotation was a big mistake as it nets you one mana immediately and a crapton of mana as you combo off. Crop Rotating a City of Traitors is just gas. I just misremembered skip's list and thought he only had 3. It was my 2nd most common Nox. Revival target.

Sleeving this up I was sure I was just going to troll my meta and play it once but it was so fun to play I'll probably break it out at least once or twice a year. It's also a great mental exercise for when you're on the couch watching TV. Knowing when to go off isn't the hard part, it's when you get to about halfway through your deck mid combo that you have to juggle making the correct and most time-saving decisions.

With its artifact theme new set has brought some cards that potentially fit this kind of concept like Pia's Revolution.

I know there was an old post here from before Faith's Reward with stuff like Tinder Wall, but this is the closest I could find.
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...-Sunrise-Combo

^ Congrats rufus, you found my old list. That's when I realized crop rotation was a rite of flame that gets recurred by SS. I miss mystical tutor

If you guys who necro'd this want something fun that's actually TECH for Legacy, here's the current list:

4 Chromatic Sphere
    4 Chromatic Star
    4 Sungrass Egg
    3 Skycloud Egg
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Crop Rotation
    3 Crystal Vein
    4 Horizon Canopy
    3 Archaeological Dig
    1 Cephalid Coliseum
    4 Conjurer's Bauble
    4 Second Sunrise
    4 Faith's Reward
    3 Noxious Revival
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Tinder Wall
    2 Green Sun's Zenith
    1 Krosan Wayfarer
    1 Abeyance
    SB: 4 Leyline of Sanctity
    SB: 3 Chain of Vapor
    SB: 3 Echoing Truth
    SB: 3 Silence
    SB: 1 Laboratory Maniac
    SB: 1 Bojuka Bog

Relatively unchanged for 2 years. It wins on turns 2 and 3, and is ridiculously consistent. A bit more complicated in playing it though, compared to other variations you might have seen.

I'm just sad it's no longer a budget option. Dang Cities and Canopies went ham on me
    Doesn't help that it's just slower than the other all in combo decks that matter to the scene (like belcher), or can't fit the protection (ANT's discard), but it is STILL cheaper, fyi, than those options.

Here's what I can tell you though, if you are interested in this pile still:
    -Cities/Veins is the most stable route for the speed they allow.
    -cephalid coliseum MD, and Maniac in the Side is all you need for WCs.
    -crop rotation/krosan wayfarer/tinderwall are all basically rite of flame, and each does something else which is extremely useful.
    -GSZ is shuffle effects 5 and 6, and is net zero mana when grabbing tinderwall or wayfarer(usually). It's pretty good, though I know it looks odd here.

Other than that, the other route involves using Helm and riddlesmith and friends to cycle through free eggs, which basically turns eggs into Cheeri0s.

Stay away from GQ, reshape/transmute artifact/etc. Strictly inferior options.

Have fun~
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    "It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched)" - Pinder, on stifled fetchlands.

Would you consider any of the new Implement commons from Aether Revolt in such a deck?

The one I'm thinking of in particular is the Implement of Combustion, which is similar to the old Spellbomb loop and an alt-kill.

Thread Information