Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

That Sanctum Prelate looks so much better than the old version, holy shit.

Hard to rate the Lion and Brainstone. Both seem much worse than their original version. And at 3 mana, every color having access to a sorcery speed Brainstorm doesn't seem to hot. And its CC doesn't really work with Chalice decks.

Urza's Saga is less of a land and more like a spell, given how it works. Might be cool with CoW, though.

May 2015
    PDX

Just so we're all on the same page, Urza's Saga is a manland for Dreadstill. Also you all are so effing lucky it can't wish out a Portable Hole.

Whats with wotc embracing the old border again, especially in a set called modern masters? Those old border foil fetches are going to be absurdly expensive.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Whats with wotc embracing the old border again, especially in a set called modern masters? Those old border foil fetches are going to be absurdly expensive.
    It is to punish those who blew their stimulus checks on RL cards, when they should have saved up for sealed MM2 boxes.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    You've answered your own question. It's all about the $$$ now since Hasbro has realized how badly they can milk MtG.

I don't mind them. I was never a fan of the new border in the first place. And given how WotC has stopped giving a shit about how MtG cards should look, given recent promos and special products, it's a nice change in pace.

I love that Uraza's Saga's subtypes are also Urza's Saga.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Yeah, so the reason for that is so you can Vision Charm, name lands, change Urza's to Island, and Daze it back to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Just so we're all on the same page, Urza's Saga is a manland for Dreadstill. Also you all are so effing lucky it can't wish out a Portable Hole.
    Would you settle for a Brittle Effigy?

Yeah, so the reason for that is so you can Vision Charm, name lands, change Urza's to Island, and Daze it back to hand.
    Presumably if I had a vision charm I would rather the land hit chapter 3 so I can vision charm the Dreadnought.

May 2015
    PDX

Presumably if I had a vision charm I would rather the land hit chapter 3 so I can vision charm the Dreadnought.
    That is also an option yes. But then again who really knows, maybe it's time to mill 4 from DDFT or blank some High Tides...

Mar 2007

Just so we're all on the same page, Urza's Saga is a manland for Dreadstill.
    Seems legit:

T1: Urza's Saga, do whatever
    T2: Torpor Orb (or one of the white ETB jammer creatures)
    T3: Dreadnought

That's neat, but as long as they don't do anything with the subtype, it's only decorative.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Seems legit:
    That's neat, but as long as they don't do anything with the subtype, it's only decorative.
    Most subtypes are.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Seems legit:

T1: Urza's Saga, do whatever
    T2: Torpor Orb (or one of the white ETB jammer creatures)
    T3: Dreadnought

Vision Charm disagrees with the use of the word "decorative."

Torpor Orb is not the play. It's turn 1 land, turn 2 Urza's -> Standstill, turn 3 EoT make a dude, untap make a dude. If they crack the Standstill we'll consider tutoring a Dreadnought and Stifle. Postboard we add in something like Needle or Relic or Cursed Scroll and wish that up, turning the 2 dudes into 3/3s. People don't seem to ever understand that just because a deck accommodates Dreadnought that we can do other things. Torpor Orb lives in the SB, where Karn can go to grab it.

Mar 2007

Torpor Orb is not the play. It's turn 1 land, turn 2 Urza's -> Standstill, turn 3 EoT make a dude, untap make a dude. If they crack the Standstill we'll consider tutoring a Dreadnought and Stifle. Postboard we add in something like Needle or Relic or Cursed Scroll and wish that up, turning the 2 dudes into 3/3s. People don't seem to ever understand that just because a deck accommodates Dreadnought that we can do other things. Torpor Orb lives in the SB, where Karn can go to grab it.
    Retrofitter Foundry would probably work with this as well, as it provides a steady stream of creatures that's going to buff the tokens even further, while also working under Standstill.

t2 Standstill loses to the t1 Torpor Orb.

May 2015
    PDX

t2 Standstill loses to the t1 Torpor Orb.
    That doesn't make sense??? Are you implying that Sol Lands and Dreadnought is a thing (because it isn't). There's a lot of bad lists floating around right now with Dreadnought tourists; I think my favorite is playing Teferi without Scroll of Fate...so you can make a Dreadnought at sorcery speed....and then pass the turn into an opponent's main phase. There are also the overly simplistic lists without deck manipulation and like 10 Torpor effects that just die to their own variance.

(because it isn't).
    You have been wrong about this for literal years now.

May 2015
    PDX

You have been wrong about this for literal years now.
    Results please. Sounds a lot like this thought process:
    1- Ancient Tomb + Dreadnought + Mimic
    2- zero protection, zero interaction, zero manipulation
    3- must play Chalice to have a chance
    4- must topdeck a Cavern on Dreadnought, or have the mana come together for Scroll of Fate (you probably didn't add) or Eater of Daze
    5- it's okay now because Urza's Saga will be like more Caverns to get in Dreadnought through Chalice
    6- sure hope they don't Wasteland this card that has to sit there for 2 of the opponent's turns.

^Modern style deck construction. Linear. Easy to disrupt. No play to it. Dies to Surgical/easy to reduce to enablers only.

If you're going to claim linear Stiflenought is *the* build, like at least have Uro covering your bets [even though you're weak to Surgical and playing the biggest Surgical lightning rod in the format]. Do we need to have the discussion about playing Teferi without Scroll of Fate too? Simply because Oko is banned does not mean that regressing to poor play patterns [sorc speed, summoning sick, phased-in Noughts] is progress.

Thread Information