Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

Well, I guess that is one way to hate on 'Walkers...
    Long overdue. Blood Moon for PWs is finally here kekekek. Couldn't have happened to a worse card type.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Long overdue. Blood Moon for PWs is finally here kekekek. Couldn't have happened to a worse card type.
    I kind of wonder if this was developed (at least) partly as Oko hate, but the meta just couldn't hold out long enough.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2015
    PDX

I kind of wonder if this was developed (at least) partly as Oko hate, but the meta just couldn't hold out long enough.
    Naw, this was made to give people real option of Dragon Rage 3/3 Delver dude over Ragavan. (Cycling on card type enchant for delirium)

How bout we just uptick Karn and throw a chump in front of the 7/7 for a turn?
    Probably because wasting your karn activation so you can lose a permanent is worse than gaining control of a 5/5 first strike trample haste exiling machine.

It doesn't kill oko

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Probably because wasting your karn activation so you can lose a permanent is worse than gaining control of a 5/5 first strike trample haste exiling machine.
    The thing is, Karn is maindeck playable unlike a stealing effect. You add this sword to a legacy deck and you're dealing with maindeck unequippers. It's also a format with germ-bouncing PWs. This 7 drop is likely to sit there for a long time doing nothing against legacy's most-played PWs.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Well, I guess that is one way to hate on 'Walkers...
    Just the existence of this card is important. Honestly, it's a pretty narrow hate card even for a sideboard slot. However, just having it available will have some impact on PW's in several formats. I'm guessing this will have the Veil of Summer syndrome where it will be prevalent for a bit, then people will adjust, then the meta adjusts again where playing more than 2 isn't worth the slots. It's similar to Alpine Moon where it will be a good option, super efficient and effective enough to make people think twice about packing a ton of PW's.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The thing is, Karn is maindeck playable unlike a stealing effect. You add this sword to a legacy deck and you're dealing with maindeck unequippers. It's also a format with germ-bouncing PWs. This 7 drop is likely to sit there for a long time doing nothing against legacy's most-played PWs.
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but currently Archmage Charm is more playable than Karn right now.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but currently Archmage Charm is more playable than Karn right now.
    I'm pretty sure legacy has more Karn than Archmage Charm - particularly with the banning of Astrolabe.

If you're going name a non-PW that craps on 7-sword it's Brazen Borrower.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Council's Judgment is also a good answer. Will be interesting to see how having another giant living weapon plays out.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, this has a bunch of text on it, at least.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Well, this has a bunch of text on it, at least.
    It's a more narrow RIP, but with a body that protects itself against spot removal of those particular decks. Might be fringe playable against the right decks.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's a more narrow RIP, but with a body that protects itself against spot removal of those particular decks. Might be fringe playable against the right decks.
    Seems pretty decent versus Punishing Fire, beyond that, at least it does something versus Reanimator, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    This is the rip on a body that d&t needed. It’s rip against basically all degenerate stuff. It misses most gy value in fair decks, but D&T is usually fine there. The only matchup where rip is relevant and the effect or body is not is uro pile essentially.

Stops dread return vs oops.

Stops everything except narcos vs dredge.

Doesn’t stop hogaak or vengevine, but can still do work vs bridges, altar, and gravecrawlers. Blocks zombie tokens well.

Stops Phoenix & worldgorger

Stops griselbrand, faithless looting, and ashen rider: d&t can usually beat chancellor easily.

Stops cabal therapy vs nic fit

Hurts PiF and Cabal ritual out of ANT

Rip is not worth vs TES anyways, so missing echo is irrelevant.

Misses loam, but unkillable by Pfizer or zombie tokens makes the body very relevant.

Misses uro but between plow and skyclave and karakas d&t is fine there.

Vs delver and Death shadow pro red and black is huge, amazing equipment holder.

Edit: mirran crusader has totally been played in the past just for its protections.

Damn is such an absurd upgrade to Wrath of God. You either cast the original spell, OR you get the option to single target it. No downsides either if you're in both black and white. Some of the stuff in this set really makes me think about buying back into MTGO just to build a Drift deck.

Something like:

4x Astral Drift
    4x Wrenn and Six
    4x Abundant Harvest
    3x Damn
    1x Greif
    1x Solitude
    2x Timeless Dragon
    2x Eternal Witness
    2x Profane Tutor
    1x Gaia's Will
    4x Flourishing Fox
    4x Valiant Rescuer
    4x Wilt
    2x Realms Uncharted
    1x Life from the Loam
    3x Edge of Autumn
    22x Lands incl Field of the Dead

The only thing really missing there are some great spells to recur if you somehow manage to ult W6. Maybe something like Absorb Vis? Or maybe just some lifegain? Overall, there are a ton of tools here. There's also that new 4 mana black enchantment that does a 1 point drain ping every time you cycle a card. Zenith Flare should definitely be in there somewhere now that I think about it. Eh, it's just a rough draft idea. Lot of potential I think.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    This is the rip on a body that d&t needed. It’s rip against basically all degenerate stuff. It misses most gy value in fair decks, but D&T is usually fine there. The only matchup where rip is relevant and the effect or body is not is uro pile essentially.

Stops dread return vs oops.

Stops everything except narcos vs dredge.

Doesn’t stop hogaak or vengevine, but can still do work vs bridges, altar, and gravecrawlers. Blocks zombie tokens well.

Stops Phoenix & worldgorger

Stops griselbrand, faithless looting, and ashen rider: d&t can usually beat chancellor easily.

Stops cabal therapy vs nic fit

Hurts PiF and Cabal ritual out of ANT

Rip is not worth vs TES anyways, so missing echo is irrelevant.

Misses loam, but unkillable by Pfizer or zombie tokens makes the body very relevant.

Misses uro but between plow and skyclave and karakas d&t is fine there.

Vs delver and Death shadow pro red and black is huge, amazing equipment holder.

Edit: mirran crusader has totally been played in the past just for its protections.
    You're right that it hits most of the degenerate stuff, minus Uro. But between Karakas, StP, Apparition and the new Solitude, I just don't see it surviving for long.

Crusader was mainly played for the combination of pro green + double strike memes.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Damn is such an absurd upgrade to Wrath of God. You either cast the original spell, OR you get the option to single target it. No downsides either if you're in both black and white. Some of the stuff in this set really makes me think about buying back into MTGO just to build a Drift deck.

Something like:

4x Astral Drift
    4x Wrenn and Six
    4x Abundant Harvest
    3x Damn
    1x Greif
    1x Solitude
    2x Timeless Dragon
    2x Eternal Witness
    2x Profane Tutor
    1x Gaia's Will
    4x Flourishing Fox
    4x Valiant Rescuer
    4x Wilt
    2x Realms Uncharted
    1x Life from the Loam
    3x Edge of Autumn
    22x Lands incl Field of the Dead

The only thing really missing there are some great spells to recur if you somehow manage to ult W6. Maybe something like Absorb Vis? Or maybe just some lifegain? Overall, there are a ton of tools here. There's also that new 4 mana black enchantment that does a 1 point drain ping every time you cycle a card. Zenith Flare should definitely be in there somewhere now that I think about it. Eh, it's just a rough draft idea. Lot of potential I think.
    This deck would only be legal in Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    This deck would only be legal in Vintage.
    Did not realize Field was banned in modern. My bad, just leave it off them. W6 is legal in Modern, but not Legacy, think everything else is good for modern.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Wow...thats an improvement, with no strings attached.

Thread Information