Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Hex Parasite doesn't quite work the way you'd want it it to with Urza's Saga, but it's a cute interaction anyway.

Hmm... Its "mana cost" not "converted mana cost." That means the III ability won't fetch artifact lands, right? Just getting an extra mana for free in two turns would be pretty strong.
    Yeah, remember that Converted Mana Cost got changed to Mana Value, so this says Mana Cost, so I'd guess it is telling you you can get things that only have either or printed in the upper right.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Hex Parasite doesn't quite work the way you'd want it it to with Urza's Saga, but it's a cute interaction anyway.

Hmm... Its "mana cost" not "converted mana cost." That means the III ability won't fetch artifact lands, right? Just getting an extra mana for free in two turns would be pretty strong.
    Why doesn't it?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Why doesn't it?
    I am guessing because you can't get the counter for III and then take them off preventing it from being sacrificed, if I understand the rules correctly.

May 2015
    PDX

You can use Hex Parasite to yo-yo between stage I and II to maintain a token engine (but will not work on the stage III). The main thing you're looking for however is to get the anti-Chalice effect down through Chalice, while doubling as a PW killer.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Trade Routes seems to play well with Urza's Saga, can protect itself and bounce with III on the stack to get all options.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Can't wait to see the rest of this artifact cycle of "iconic" spells! I bet red get lightning bolt rock and white gets healing salve rock. Sounds about right...
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    Can't wait to see the rest of this artifact cycle of "iconic" spells! I bet red get lightning bolt rock and white gets healing salve rock. Sounds about right...
    How about a Fastbond or Channel rock?

White probably gets a garbage token rock.

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    That’s already happened.

Implement of improvement
    Expedition map
    Wayfarers Bauble
    Explosive Apparratus

Reviatilize vs shock is much closer in power level.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I am guessing because you can't get the counter for III and then take them off preventing it from being sacrificed, if I understand the rules correctly.
    You can: gatherer makes explicit that removing the counter won't affect which chapter ability is triggering. Also sagas only sacrifice themselves if their chapter count is equal to their max chapter AND no chapter ability is on the stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You can use Hex Parasite to yo-yo between stage I and II to maintain a token engine (but will not work on the stage III). The main thing you're looking for however is to get the anti-Chalice effect down through Chalice, while doubling as a PW killer.
    You can do chapter 3 as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatherer
    Once a chapter ability has triggered, the ability on the stack won’t be affected if the Saga gains or loses counters, or if it leaves the battlefield. doesn’t use the stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    714.4. If the number of lore counters on a Saga permanent is greater than or equal to its final chapter number, and it isn’t the source of a chapter ability that has triggered but not yet left the stack, that Saga’s controller sacrifices it. This state-based action doesn’t use the stack.
    If the ability is on the stack and you remove the lore counter, both won't be true simultaneously thus the and condition won't be fulfilled, thus the sacrifice won't happen.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Huh, I thought I had read somewhere that the sacrifice was part of putting the last counter, so that you wouldn't have priority between the "last" counter being placed and the sacrifice being triggered, but maybe I misunderstood.

But you cant tutor up parasite to save the saga. Once it resolves you cant do anything!

Its still a cute synergie, once you get going you could tutor up expedition maps for more sagas... then some moxes for mana... eventually you go back to II and make some huge tokens!

Yeah hella slow but its a LAND-ENGINE how cool is that? like that bad movie mortal engines xD
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Huh, I thought I had read somewhere that the sacrifice was part of putting the last counter, so that you wouldn't have priority between the "last" counter being placed and the sacrifice being triggered, but maybe I misunderstood.
    I am fairly confident that no one, ever, has fully understood how a saga works.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I am fairly confident that no one, ever, has fully understood how a saga works.
    Yeah, having never played with them (or generally thought about them at all), I didn't realize that "and the ability hasn't left the stack" part was shoe-horned in there to forestall the SBA.

Yeah, having never played with them (or generally thought about them at all), I didn't realize that "and the ability hasn't left the stack" part was shoe-horned in there to forestall the SBA.
    Sagas also have this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbage Saga Rules
    714.2b “{rN}—[Effect]” means “When one or more lore counters are put onto this Saga, if the number of lore counters on it was less than N and became at least N, [effect].”
    Which eagle-eyed players might recognize as an intervening if clause. However, unlike most intervening if clauses you can't make this one no longer true, because it uses "was less", which refers to a point in time you can't get back to.
    (This is why removing a counter doesn't mess up which chapter is being triggered.)

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    But you cant tutor up parasite to save the saga. Once it resolves you cant do anything!

Its still a cute synergie, once you get going you could tutor up expedition maps for more sagas... then some moxes for mana... eventually you go back to II and make some huge tokens!

Yeah hella slow but its a LAND-ENGINE how cool is that? like that bad movie mortal engines xD
    You don't have to go back.
    It keeps all of it's abilities from the previous chapters so you'll always be able to make at least 2 tokens.

Yeah, remember that Converted Mana Cost got changed to Mana Value, so this says Mana Cost, so I'd guess it is telling you you can get things that only have either or printed in the upper right.
    Yeah, it would be pretty silly if it could fetch Mox Tantalite or Lotus Bloom too. Obviously the old school moxen work well with it. Even stuff like Mox Opal or Chrome Mox as mana sources or Chromatic Sphere or Urza's bauble as ways to recover CA seem like pretty strong fetch options.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna