Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    ... Protections aside, that alone makes it already alot less situational than the other swords (bar SoFI).
    How do you feel about Sword of the Animist? How many basics do most legacy decks run these days? This sword seems like it's way more niche than the other ones.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How do you feel about Sword of the Animist? How many basics do most legacy decks run these days? This sword seems like it's way more niche than the other ones.
    Less stats, no protections, lands enter tapped, no option to blink your stuff. So it's pretty terrible. Being one mana cheaper (which might not even matter with SFM) and triggering on attack don't compensate for the lack of stuff SoHH provides.

D&T runs like 10+ basics, for example.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    tbh disequipping itself seems quite bad
    This. I guess there's Gilded Drake shenanigans.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Im just imagining a curve like
    Turn 1 mother
    Turn 2 thalia
    Turn 3 sfm
    Turn 4 activate sfm equip to thalia attack

In what universe is the GW sword the one that you actually want here
    Pro W is also kind of awkward because now your opp can bolt the thalia and you can't even protect with mother
    To me Fire/Ice feels like it would be better almost always

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Im just imagining a curve like
    Turn 1 mother
    Turn 2 thalia
    Turn 3 sfm
    Turn 4 activate sfm equip to thalia attack

In what universe is the GW sword the one that you actually want here
    Pro W is also kind of awkward because now your opp can bolt the thalia and you can't even protect with mother
    To me Fire/Ice feels like it would be better almost always
    Why would you grab the SoHH without good blink targets in play? Or a GW swords vs a deck that runs Bolt (and probably red creatures)?

Why would you grab the SoHH without good blink targets in play? Or a GW swords vs a deck that runs Bolt (and probably red creatures)?
    Well ok, then the question becomes how many slots in your deck do you have for different equipment
    Like are you playing the typical 3 (sofi + jitte + skull) plus this? What kind of config are you imagining

The blinking is optional, though.

For what it's worth, the sword can also provide Landfall triggers (e.g. for Tireless Tracker) and grab basics even under Blood Moon.
    I get that but that's half the sword's appeal, getting to blink your stuff. Not doing it because you need the sword to stay on seems bad when I have other swords whose other modes always work. And the ones who don't are considered unplayable.

I’m with Kombatkiwi on prismatic.

lots of Bant miracles Players are playing wilt. The desire for a flexible answer that is never dead is there. I’m certain it will replace wilt and return to nature in those decks at least. Against moon Stompy, delver, and lands (if you have flying blockers) it is significantly better. In maverick and death and taxes there is additional Removal in the sideboard which is usually path to exile. In several matchups (ur delver, mirror, moon stompy) not ramping the opponent and the flexibility of it would make it compare favourably.

I also think that it could replace 3feri in the flexible answer Maindeck role. The passive is nice vs combo or control but vs delver I would rather have more 1 mana removal

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What does this combo do?
    Oh crap lol Ritual of Subdual.

Mar 2007

What kind of config are you imagining
    Yorion D&T is the most likely candidate, since it should run a high number of ETB creatures anyway and the ramp is relevant to get to Yorion faster. 3/60 or 4/80 comes out roughly the same. They're already running SoFaF, so it could be easily swapped for the #4 equipment as the pro-green sword or become equipment #5 for full color coverage, depending on how things play out.

Yorion D&T is the most likely candidate, since it should run a high number of ETB creatures anyway and the ramp is relevant to get to Yorion faster. 3/60 or 4/80 comes out roughly the same. They're already running SoFaF, so it could be easily swapped for the #4 equipment as the pro-green sword or become equipment #5 for full color coverage, depending on how things play out.
    Doesn't sound unreasonable but it feels kind of commandery / fancy-play-syndrome, idk if there's something better you could be doing

Glad to see the cycling stuff. Wonder if we'll get an updated lightning rift for Modern now. Would be super dope if so, there are definitely the tools to build around if we got a way to deal with PW's and win without combat finally. Probably RWU colors, or WURG.

May 2015
    PDX

Garth One-Eye has been printed; methinks we'll finally see Jodah, Archmage Eternal. They're digging deep on the lore names.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Garth One-Eye has been printed; methinks we'll finally see Jodah, Archmage Eternal. They're digging deep on the lore names.
    They already printed a card with that exact name (Jodah, Archmage Eternal) in dominaria didn't they? It's like 1UWR for a 3/3 flying with the fist of suns ability or something

*checks notes* ok it's a 4/3 but I got the rest of it

May 2015
    PDX

They already printed a card with that exact name (Jodah, Archmage Eternal) in dominaria didn't they? It's like 1UWR for a 3/3 flying with the fist of suns ability or something

*checks notes* ok it's a 4/3 but I got the rest of it
    Yeah....that one doesn't count. That 5c stuff is on-flavor for Mairsil [the guy wearing the Moxen, later known as Lim-Dul]. The only thing they got right is that the Urza colors [UWR], and I guess he did cast Flight one time in the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The tokens he makes better have OG Alpha Art. Especially the dragon. Also, if they print tokens for him, it's a super sneaky way to get a ton of Black Lotus proxies into circulation.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    The tokens he makes better have OG Alpha Art. Especially the dragon. Also, if they print tokens for him, it's a super sneaky way to get a ton of Black Lotus proxies into circulation.
    Sorry to tell you
    The precident is BS, they made Llanowar Elf tokens for Llanowar Mentor, but whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Sorry to tell you
    The precident is BS, they made Llanowar Elf tokens for Llanowar Mentor, but whatever
    The internet immediately responding with screenshots that directly countered Aaron's bullshit was a very nice touch.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, he is technically right, none of those have a mana cost, which each of thing spells Grath makes would have since they are being cast.

It's still not a great excuse though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I’m with Kombatkiwi on prismatic.

lots of Bant miracles Players are playing wilt. The desire for a flexible answer that is never dead is there. I’m certain it will replace wilt and return to nature in those decks at least. Against moon Stompy, delver, and lands (if you have flying blockers) it is significantly better. In maverick and death and taxes there is additional Removal in the sideboard which is usually path to exile. In several matchups (ur delver, mirror, moon stompy) not ramping the opponent and the flexibility of it would make it compare favourably.

I also think that it could replace 3feri in the flexible answer Maindeck role. The passive is nice vs combo or control but vs delver I would rather have more 1 mana removal
    They play Wilt because... you can cycle it if it's a dead card........

Thread Information