Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    They play Wilt because... you can cycle it if it's a dead card........
    Your rug midrange opponent played a goyf instead of a library. Is it more efficient to try to cycle into a plow, or just, you know, exile the goyf.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

So this can be fetched with GSZ while being in the library? At least in Paper, because there's no way in hell this is going to work as intended on MTGO.

And you can reanimate it. Recurring Nightmare?

Anyway what a strange card.

What happens if you play animate dead?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I was thinking Unearth, but I guess goofier reanimations could pose interesting Judge test examples
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007

Volrath's Stronghold after milling it with Loam? You can also cast it with Cavern set to Insect. Does it count as two card types for Goyf while being in the GY?

This card is a rules clusterfuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HdH_Cthulhu View Post
    And you can reanimate it. Recurring Nightmare?

Anyway what a strange card.

What happens if you play animate dead?
    Presumably the same thing that happens when you play Animate Dead on a creature with protection from black, such as Akroma, Angel of Wrath.

Oracle text:
    Enchantment — Aura

Enchant creature card in a graveyard

When Animate Dead enters the battlefield, if it’s on the battlefield, it loses “enchant creature card in a graveyard” and gains “enchant creature put onto the battlefield with Animate Dead.” Return enchanted creature card to the battlefield under your control and attach Animate Dead to it. When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature’s controller sacrifices it.

Enchanted creature gets -1/-0.
    Ruling:
    If the creature put onto the battlefield has protection from black—or if the creature can’t legally be enchanted by Animate Dead for another reason—Animate Dead won’t be able to attach to it. It will be put into the graveyard as a state-based action, causing its delayed triggered ability to trigger. When the trigger resolves, if the creature’s still on the battlefield, its controller will sacrifice it.
    (2016-06-08)

https://scryfall.com/card/ema/78/animate-dead

Okay, actually that raises a question in my mind, and perhaps this is what HdH_Cthulhu was asking about (in which case I missed their point): What happens with the clause "When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature’s controller sacrifices it" if the creature isn't a creature?

Mar 2007

What an odd card.

Edit: Let's say your opponent targets one of your permanents with Abrupt Decay. You kiss it. They have no permanents to AD. What happens now? Would both the original and the copy fizzle since neither you nor your opponent have legal targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

What an odd card.

Edit: Let's say your opponent targets one of your permanents with Abrupt Decay. You kiss it. They have no permanents to AD. What happens now? Would both the original and the copy fizzle since neither you nor your opponent have legal targets?
    Feels like they're throwing a lot of silver border names and concepts in this set.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Presumably the same thing that happens when you play Animate Dead on a creature with protection from black, such as Akroma, Angel of Wrath.

Oracle text:

Ruling:
    If the creature put onto the battlefield has protection from black—or if the creature can’t legally be enchanted by Animate Dead for another reason—Animate Dead won’t be able to attach to it. It will be put into the graveyard as a state-based action, causing its delayed triggered ability to trigger. When the trigger resolves, if the creature’s still on the battlefield, its controller will sacrifice it.
    (2016-06-08)

https://scryfall.com/card/ema/78/animate-dead

Okay, actually that raises a question in my mind, and perhaps this is what HdH_Cthulhu was asking about (in which case I missed their point): What happens with the clause "When Animate Dead leaves the battlefield, that creature’s controller sacrifices it" if the creature isn't a creature?
    Animate dead doesn't care if it's not a creature for is trigger. "That creature" just means the card enchanted with animate dead

What an odd card.

I think they intentionally used the term "reselect" instead of "change" because you can only change the target of an object if there's a new legal Target to change it to.

Mar 2007

Here's the blue Evoke creature. Interestingly enough, it can get around the "can't get countered" clause. So the arms race continues.

That's not subtle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Feels like they're throwing a lot of silver border names and concepts in this set.
    Yeah the set seems like it started out with concepts for another UN-set but they couldn't come up with punch lines so they made it a normal set.

If this can be real so can Crow Storm:

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Yeah the set seems like it started out with concepts for another UN-set but they couldn't come up with punch lines so they made it a normal set.

If this can be real so can Crow Storm:

Unsets as concepts isn't new.
    Look at me, I'm the DCI, rocket powered turbo slug, and the cheese stands alone, for example.

So this can be fetched with GSZ while being in the library? At least in Paper, because there's no way in hell this is going to work as intended on MTGO.
    Unearth, Fiend Artisan, Volrath's Stronghold. Pretty interesting design. In my testing, Grist acts kind of like a bitterblossom effect, but one that can sometimes kill a creature or planeswalker, and rarely but possibly can dome your opp with a drain effect. The fact that you can easily recur Grist with all kinds of effects and tutor for it.. is what makes this card to me pretty interesting. Not top-tier powerful like a Uro, but I can see this getting some fringe play.

Mar 2007

New Command cycle?

Verdant Command
    1G
    Instant
    Choose two:

*Target player creates two tapped 1/1 green squirrel token creatures.

*Counter target loyal ability of a planeswalker.

*Exile target card from a graveyard.

*Target player gains 3 life.
    This one is pretty terrible, though.

green with way better token production than white again lol.

Seems pretty decent in a GW tokens list in modern; raise the alarm saw play in the past and this is way better.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Anyone else think we'll see an updated Phyrexian Plaguelord with all of these squirrel tokens going around? Wasn't Deranged Hermit/Plaguelord one of the classic combos that created The Rock archetype?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Scion of Draco
    Artifact Creature - Dragon
    Domain - This spell costs 2 less to cast for each basic land type among lands you control.

Flying 4/4

Each creature you control gains vigilance if it's white, hexproof if it's blue, lifelink if it's black, first strike if it's red, and trample if it's green.

Fetch into triome, fetch into missing dual, cast this.

is it good enought?
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Got some spicy additions to modern including Zuran Orb and Goblin Bombardment. Legendary Tourach creature as well, a 2/1 for 1B with kicker BB: hymn to tourach when it enters. Honestly, Goblin Bombardment seems like a pretty decent card for a modern archetype, maybe bringing back the Young Pyromancer/Lingering Souls synergy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information