Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Realistically this will just see play in UR Delver as a new card engine. They can play it T1 (holding up 10 free counters), then T2 Bolt/Chain Lightning the blocker and attack for value. Later in the game they can just dash it when there isn't a blocker up and gain immediate value. Such good tempo.
    "Tap 0 lands: Cast opponent's Brainstorm, win target game"

As always it's just another blue card because it wasn't printed with cost RRR with pitch cost "sacrifice a Goblin".
    A likely candidate to get banned many months (or 1-2 years) after this set when WotC can be assed to give a shit. It's always the Delver shells that can utilize these kind of cards the best. But as long as WotC isn't going after the Delver core, things won't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Why are 1 drops allowed to immediately replace themselves in mana and cards???

This is ridiculous, arcanist 2.0 assuming you are playing against another low curve deck.
    Block it

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Block it
    Prefer to fire the Karakas cannon!

Mar 2007

Block it
    They can play removal, though, or play counters for your removal.

It feels a bit like T1 Goblin Lackey back in the day - if it connects, chances are you're in deep shit.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    They can play removal, though, or play counters for your removal.

It feels a bit like T1 Goblin Lackey back in the day - if it connects, chances are you're in deep shit.
    Sounds like it's time to unban DRS; legacy needs the policeman back.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Sounds like it's time to unban DRS; legacy needs the policeman back.
    You don't fight cancer with cancer. Any blocker would do to stop, but that doesn't solve the removal/counter angle.

Edit: One way to get around it might be running a deck with cards they don't even want to (or can't) cast, like Chalice or expensive cards like Eldrazi.

Block it
    Obviously you put a land on top with your own Brainstorm to unflood yourself.
    Like an inverse Goblin Guide.

On another note, why are they reprinting basically everything from Enchantress besides the enchantress herself and sanctum?
    Does modern need a solitaire deck?
    Does anyone enjoy playing against that?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    On another note, why are they reprinting basically everything from Enchantress besides the enchantress herself and sanctum?
    Guess what cards are on the Reserve List.

The better question is why they go through the trouble of reprinting all those cards when the crucical key cards are still missing?

Guess what cards are on the Reserve List.

The better question is why they go through the trouble of reprinting all those cards when the crucical key cards are still missing?
    I know that they are on the reserved list.

The question is why they are forcing the achtype in modern regardless even though the rest is more appropriate for a modern power level.
    At least most storm combos are quickly done but if I wanted to watch someone jerk off for 10 min I'd go to a different website.
    Not as annoying as eggs but still pretty boring.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

They're trying to make Modern into "Legacy without the Reserved List. Or good combo. Or good prison decks. Or second main phases. Or . . . ."
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Prefer to fire the Karakas cannon!
    Red gets port afterall

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    I know that they are on the reserved list.

The question is why they are forcing the achtype in modern regardless even though the rest is more appropriate for a modern power level.
    At least most storm combos are quickly done but if I wanted to watch someone jerk off for 10 min I'd go to a different website.
    Not as annoying as eggs but still pretty boring.

They've kinda got the Sanctum part covered now, I guess. Not as good, but oh well. Are there any good enchantments for untapping creatures, preferable not Aura ones?

[IMG]http://mythicspoiler.com/mh2/cards/sanctumweaverp.jpg

They've kinda got the Sanctum part covered now, I guess. Not as good, but oh well. Are there any good enchantments for untapping creatures, preferable not Aura ones?
    Given that my commander will always be Experiment Kraj i can point out:

Conconrdant Crossroads
    Intruder Alarm
    Pemmin's Aura
    Thousand-Year Elixir
    "You either die a Onesto-Player, or live long enough to see yourself become a Dredger"

Mar 2007

Pemmin's Aura (or Freed from the Real) are pretty interesting, since one of them + Weaver is already infinite mana (because Weaver is an enchantment itself). Very fragile due to being an aura, though. Also doesn't work with Sterling Grove (due to shroud).

That said, that's the best enchantment wincon with infinite mana that wins instantly?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Nevy Disk, Flame Rift, and Vindicate are both coming to modern as well. I think we can start to see a pattern here: WOTC is trying to recreate past legacy time periods, but somehow think they have 'fixed' the problems that might arise by avoiding certain cards. I'm not sure if it will actually pan out the way they want it to, but from what I can see, Modern is going to be *lit*.

Do any of these reprints/new cards make any of you legacy players want to play Modern?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This is silly, but I don't know that it really replaces Batterskull.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

This is silly, but I don't know that it really replaces Batterskull.
    Flash in Batterskull to block an attacking Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath

Now flash in this. Which is better?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Flash in Batterskull to block an attacking Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath

Now flash in this.

Which is better?
    Well, I mean, it's relatively easy to craft situations were one or the other would be clearly better.

The less clear issue is which is more castable/usable/useful in more situations overall. I am not saying this Kaldra is useless by any streach, but Batterskull's Lifelink and Vigilance are factors that must be considered, in addition to costing two less both to cast and to reequip. Obviously though this all bears actual testing.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I think the 3 mana bounce-back-to-hand makes Batterskull a more resilient threat, but Kaldra will close games faster. Without lifelink it won't be the big swings that create inevitability in 'fair' matchups, but it is indestructible, which is relevant against combo/unfair decks that are banking on Abrade/artifact removal to buy time. One fairly big downside is that it makes you all-in on protecting SFM, because the likelihood of hardcasting this in time to matter is probably close to zero. Thinking about the decks that play SFM, I think the most likely candidate for this is Maverick. They have the mana-boosting that can legit hard-cast it and they have other big threats that soak up removal (Knights mostly.)

EDIT: It gives the creature indestructible, too. That means you can't Abrupt Decay the germ to make it useless. So the only real removal will be Swords to Plowshares or if Disenchant effects turn to exile/shuffle back into library styles (Revoke Existence, Shattering Blow, Unravel the Aether, Deglamer)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    EDIT: It gives the creature indestructible, too. That means you can't Abrupt Decay the germ to make it useless. So the only real removal will be Swords to Plowshares or if Disenchant effects turn to exile/shuffle back into library styles (Revoke Existence, Shattering Blow, Unravel the Aether, Deglamer)
    Indeed, which means the calculus definitely changes versus White decks because of StP and Terminus. But versus R/B/X Kaldra obviously has a leg-up.

This actually reminds me of the pre-Blightsteel Colossus days in Vintage, where there were legitimate metagame questions to be asked and answered as to which Tinker target one ought to be looking at, be it Inkwell Leviathan, Sphinx of the Steel Wind or something like Myr Battlesphere. Each had it's own upsides but versus clearly different matchups. Might be another case where you might want to consider building to the meta (rather than expecting a one-size-fits-all answer).

Thread Information