Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Re: Modern Horizons 2 Previews

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    green with way better token production than white again lol.

Seems pretty decent in a GW tokens list in modern; raise the alarm saw play in the past and this is way better.
    Big problem: tokens is dead in Modern as a legitimate archetype.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Tourach also has pro white, if that matters. The tribute to Hymn is a nice touch, but probably too expensive to be really good. Sure, you get a 4/3 pro white in the best case scenario, but it can still die to pretty much everything (except white removal). Being able to Karakas it to Hymn again is also very expensive.

Green gets a significantly better Crusade than white, while Crusade gets banned for stupid reasons? Why is this travesty?

Please don't open up that can of worms again. -Mr. Safety-
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 05-26-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Tourach also has pro white, if that matters. The tribute to Hymn is a nice touch, but probably too expensive to be really good. Sure, you get a 4/3 pro white in the best case scenario, but it can still die to pretty much everything (except white removal). Being able to Karakas it to Hymn again is also very expensive.

Green gets a significantly better Crusade than white, while Crusade gets banned for stupid reasons? Why is this travesty?
    First, crusade had already been replaced by honor of the pure.
    Second, for people who won't shut up about "politics in magic" you would think you'd be more open to the removal of the card that deals with real life politics.

Better Vapor snag/delay callback spoiled.

Seems very strong in UR delver whose only weakness was big creatures like goyf and knight. With sprite dragon you can easily kill before it comes back.

May 2015
    PDX

Better with Teferi passive,, but we'd still just play Plow.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Better Vapor snag/delay callback spoiled.

Seems very strong in UR delver whose only weakness was big creatures like goyf and knight. With sprite dragon you can easily kill before it comes back.
    It's also a clean answer to Marit Lage that has better utility against the targets you mentioned (Goyf and Knight.) I really like this card, I think it will see some niche play. I also think it could be better to play on your own creatures than Vapor Snag, simply because you don't have to re-invest the mana to play it and when it enters it has haste.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

There will definitely be some hilarious moments where the delver player forgets about the haste. Maverick player chumps to stay at 2 life, then KOs the delver player with a hasty 12/12

May 2015
    PDX

Pretty funny that I can now put some non-dude like Ugin in face-down with Scroll of Fate and flip it with Suspend. Not good, but definitely funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctalor View Post
    Scion of Draco
    Artifact Creature - Dragon
    Domain - This spell costs 2 less to cast for each basic land type among lands you control.

Flying 4/4

Each creature you control gains vigilance if it's white, hexproof if it's blue, lifelink if it's black, first strike if it's red, and trample if it's green.

Fetch into triome, fetch into missing dual, cast this.

is it good enought?
    I think no, because skipping your turn 1 is a pretty big downside in legacy, your deck will be pretty vulnerable to wasteland and the "each creature you control" ability isn't very good.

The blue effect seems by far the best so my bonkers idea is that you could play it in RW painter splashing the BUG triome, because if you have painter out then all your creatures (the 4/4 itself and your welder etc) have hexproof

I also think it could be better to play on your own creatures than Vapor Snag, simply because you don't have to re-invest the mana to play it and when it enters it has haste.
    Unfortunately these same aspects also make it worse to use on your opponent's creatures than Vapor Snag, to me it's not so clear cut that this card is an improvement to Unsummon effects

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Unfortunately these same aspects also make it worse to use on your opponent's creatures than Vapor Snag, to me it's not so clear cut that this card is an improvement to Unsummon effects
    Presumably the deck using removal on your creatures has a slower clock and more mana than the deck attacking with creatures.

Mar 2007

What the fuck is this name?

There's also a full 10 card cycle of tapped Darksteel lands for each two-color combination:

The name is from the flavor text of an old Unlimited or Revised card, it quotes the Underworld Cookbook.

One of the demon ones that's since been removed from the game iirc.

Mar 2007

Imperial Recruiter got a reprint.

Other new cards:

Wizardcycling for seems pretty good.

I think Liquimetal Torque deserves a mention. It's basically Liquimetal Coating but it also taps for one colorless mana, but in exchange it can't target lands.

Dunno if that's a worthwhile tradeoff or not, but it does seem like it's worth looking at.

Mar 2007

Blowing up lands is the main appeal of Coating, though. It could give you a critical mass of artifact converters between Karn and Dack to do some really dumb shit, though. Or are there any good repeatable artifact destruction cards?

May 2015
    PDX

Blowing up lands is the main appeal of Coating, though. It could give you a critical mass of artifact converters between Karn and Dack to do some really dumb shit, though. Or are there any good repeatable artifact destruction cards?
    Gorilla Shaman, Viashino Heretic.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

What the fuck is this name?

"The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Tourach in Pox builds with Dark Ritual seems pretty good. You have the option of a 2 mana or a 4 mana beater. Pro white is actually super good in legacy, not super powerful like Uro, but a card to consider.

Mar 2007

I like the new art.

Hatebears don't matter anymore...

May 2015
    PDX

Not gonna lie, that Disapprove looks like it's not just applying a debuff to existing things, but that it creates a static rule for the turn. So I guess this draws a card while making Dreadnoughts lol.

Thread Information