Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: D&D (Maybe Better Off) Forgotten Realms Previews

May 2015
    PDX

Re: D&D (Maybe Better Off) Forgotten Realms Previews

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    I feel like this can "play" Ancestral Visions for 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    And you would be wrong. The same reason you cant play Visions from your hand is the same reason you cant play it from outside the game. What about this card makes you think it somehow gets around casting cost or lack thereof?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Wonder why it doesn't exile itself like all the other wishes? Is that part of whatever snazzy acronym design philosophy we're on now?
    Notably, it also doesn't put the card into your hand, otherwise it would be just a straight up better Death Wish.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Whoever thought this kind of formatting is okay deserves to be fired. Those useless ability words are extremely distracting.
    This. Almost every card in this set reads like a mistake. Or something a nine-year-old made for a card-creation thread on 4Chan.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    This. Almost every card in this set reads like a mistake. Or something a nine-year-old made for a card-creation thread on 4Chan.
    But, but, but ..... tHe fLaVoR !111!!1!

Isn't it amazing how creative absolutely boring cards look if you give it a stupid name that knocks "Didn't say please" out of the park and add random words?
    This makes the product which should have been a precon box set like Planechase totally look like a real set.

This might be playable:

1W
    Legendary Creature - Gnome Artificer
    W, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card whose mana value is equal to the mana value of the sacrificed artifact plus 1, then put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle you library. Activate only as a sorcery.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

"Oswald Fiddlebender" 1W
    Legendary Creature - Gnome Artificer
    W, T, Sacrifice an artifact: Search your library for an artifact card whose mana value is equal to the mana value of the sacrificed artifact plus 1, then put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle you library. Activate only as a sorcery.
    2/2
    This one is pretty interesting. Not sure where it might find a home (Painter decks maybe?).

You could fiddle Thought Monitor into... Sphinx of the Steel wind.

For painter it would have been great if you could activate grindstone and search up painter in response! But yah cant!
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    And you would be wrong. The same reason you cant play Visions from your hand is the same reason you cant play it from outside the game. What about this card makes you think it somehow gets around casting cost or lack thereof?
    Forgot that play specifically means "if play -> first attempt to cast -> if cannot be cast, revert to play [i.e. land]."

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    You're still required to pay the costs for the card you'd want to play and visions' cost is still unpayable.
    There's some power here in that you have your whole turn to decide what you're going to wish for and that you never reveal it it put it into hand. So if your hand was, say, Wish, LED, and infernal tutor you could still crack the LED after resolving Wish to get hellbent for tutor and use the mana for what you plan to wish for

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    But, but, but ..... tHe fLaVoR !111!!1!

Isn't it amazing how creative absolutely boring cards look if you give it a stupid name that knocks "Didn't say please" out of the park and add random words?
    This makes the product which should have been a precon box set like Planechase totally look like a real set.
    Actually it's good and I apologize that you've become to old for fun.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Whoever thought this kind of formatting is okay deserves to be fired. Those useless ability words are extremely distracting.
    They are essentially flavor text, something I think they are going deep into due to the casual nature of D&D as a game. I tend to see the MtG through a strict/competitive lens but there are so many people out there that look at this type of formatting and think it's cool. Part of the charm of D&D is the story that it tells, and you can't deny that these cards tell more of a story than focusing on the actual mechanics. I rather disagree that the person needs to be fired, I think they are doing exactly what the set designers asked of them. Of course it won't resonate with everyone, but I can see the fun factor being pretty high for casual Magic players that also play D&D. (Yes, I know your comment was sarcastic in nature and just trying to convey how much you dislike it, I know you weren't actually saying they deserve to get fired. Right?)
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Right on, I think it's pretty cool.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Get off my god damn lawn!

Get off my god damn lawn!
    Everyone has! There's like 10 of you left playing on MTGO

Everyone has! There's like 10 of you left playing on MTGO
    > Implying I still play legacy or would spend money on virtual cardboard :)

> Implying I still play legacy or would spend money on virtual cardboard :)
    *two-legacy-spidermen-pointing-at-each-other*

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Thank god we have this dungeon hate piece

Keen Ear Sentry 1W
    Creature - Human Soldier (Uncommon)
    You have hexproof.
    Opponents can't venture into the dungeon more than once per turn.
    "You're not the first to underestimate me."
    2/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    They are essentially flavor text, something I think they are going deep into due to the casual nature of D&D as a game. I tend to see the MtG through a strict/competitive lens but there are so many people out there that look at this type of formatting and think it's cool. Part of the charm of D&D is the story that it tells, and you can't deny that these cards tell more of a story than focusing on the actual mechanics. I rather disagree that the person needs to be fired, I think they are doing exactly what the set designers asked of them. Of course it won't resonate with everyone, but I can see the fun factor being pretty high for casual Magic players that also play D&D. (Yes, I know your comment was sarcastic in nature and just trying to convey how much you dislike it, I know you weren't actually saying they deserve to get fired. Right?)
    I agree about what they were aiming for, and I also agree that flavor is important, even if I haven't been a big fan of where that's been going during the Jacetice League years. The thing is that they already have formatting and templates for doing this, but they're doing something different that will only serve to confuse people. I can think of at least three alternate ways they could've formatted the cards just off the top of my head:

1) Split cards. Why didn't they do this?
    2) Flip cards. Sure, I hate them, but they've already done these enough times that people will probably have an idea of how they work.
    3) Regular modal cards with flavor text set under each mode. Sure, it's awkward, but much less than what they did here.

My feelings about those established card templates aren't really relevant: They're doing the same thing these new cards are doing in a way players would find familiar rather than confusing. The first one of these "flavor abilities" I saw looked like a "Spell mastery" or a "Converge" to me. Then I saw another and had to pause to ask myself how many mechanics they were bringing into the set. Then I saw a card with two of them, and each was distinct from any of the others.

That's not good. That's all over the place. And the problem gets worse in multiplayer formats: What's going on when an opponent says, "I cast [mumbles] Cleric, then I'll Divine Intervention." Is it Moon-Blessed Cleric, followed by its triggered ability, "Divine Intervention," or did the person cast some other cleric, then cast Divine Intervention? You know, ANOTHER card that already exists and has a totally different effect from what's printed on the Cleric (cf. "Dissolve" on Gelatinous Cube)? Or is the person casting Moon-Blessed Cleric, then using its ability to tutor for the card Divine Intervention?

Like, ok, I get that there are iconic D&D spells that people who play/have played D&D are reasonably likely to recognize. But there already are MtG cards that do some of the exact things these italicized, ONE-OFF abilities do (cf. Enlightened Tutor), and the template they're using for this "flavor" is already in use for something else. We've already ended up at the stage where there are three different card frames (plus borderless cards, plus "showcases," plus bullshit like the Tetris expedition frames and the Exodia shit from Amonkhet), we've had repeated wording and type changes that appear in Roman-text abilities and italicized abilities, and now we've got non-abilities that are also italicized and BORROW THE NAMES OF CARDS THAT DO TOTALLY UNRELATED THINGS.

So yes, I agree with Barook that someone should get fired. Maybe more than ten people. Anybody who's ever worked in publishing, graphic design, the art world more broadly, or even other unrelated stuff like data entry could've caught this and fixed it using methods Wizards already has at its disposal. It's just an amateur-hour bullshit carnival all around.

EDIT: And this is replacing a core set. Jesus.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

It took me a few looks as well to figure out what was going on.
    My first thought was these would be better served as the "showcase" type of cards from Modern Horizons 2, where they used the flavor text space to print the art direction that produced the sketch.
    Like if there was a MTG card that inferred some flavor from the source material, then an especially "D&D" version of the card that was explicitly doing the thing, then you could serve both ends and players would enjoy both.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Y'all act like they haven't done this before

Or those Will of the Council cards from conspiracy

Thread Information