Thread: WB Reanimator Stompy

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

WB Reanimator Stompy

I was screwing around with a white Stompy list featuring Yorion that had Eternal Dragon, Angel of the Ruins, Recruiter of the Guard and Karmic Guide until I realized how fast and good the fat cycler flyers can be put into the GY while maintaining card parity. Thus I tried a more traditional Reanimator approach.

The list below is just a prove of concept (so no SB, currently 63 cards, no disruption yet and zero manabase fine-tuning), but it does its thing on T2 very consistently (T1 isn't that unlikely, either):

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scrubland
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp
    3 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Windswept Heath

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

4 Animate Dead
    4 Entomb
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites

4 Angel of the Ruins
    4 Eternal Dragon
    1 Griselbrand
    3 Skyclave Apparition
    4 Archfiend of Ifnir

Things I'm currently considerung:
    Chancellor of the Annex
    Dark Ritual
    City of Traitors
    among other things.

I do think the concept has some legs once it's fine-tuned, given how consistenly it can pull of the the combo. The mana is rock solid (partly due to 8 land cyclers, so you don't have to give a fuck) and hardcasting stuff as Plan B against GY hate isn't that unlikely, either.

Fun fact: Since all the main threats are angels, demons or dragons, Kaalia of the Vast could actually work in the 75 as alternative plan, given how fast and splashable the mana is.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: WB Reanimator Stompy

Modern Horizon 2 has added alot of interesting cards for the deck, mainly Grief and Timeless Dragon. The latter is a straight upgrade from Eternal Dragon, since it can self-reanimate (while also dodging counterspells), being easier to hardcast and costing less life when you Reanimate it.

Since the deck has a great amount of redunancy, but had no space for disruption, I've decided to up the card count to 80 and put Yorion into the SB to make use of excess mana. This adds alot of room for alot of discard and Chancellor, which is quite helpful. Sideboard is still undecided, but I really want to try out the new Serra's Emissary. The deck might also need a few more lands and general fine-tuning of the manabase, but more testing is needed:

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scrubland
    4 Swamp
    1 Karakas
    4 Marsh Flats
    2 Polluted Delta
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

1 Griselbrand
    4 Angel of the Ruins
    4 Timeless Dragon
    4 Grief
    1 Ashen Rider
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite

4 Entomb
    4 Animate Dead
    4 Reanimate
    4 Exhume
    1 Unburial Rites

4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Unmask
    4 Thoughtseize

SB:
    1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
    14 other cards

I'm not really sold on Unmarked Grave due to its speed, cost and limitations. Two cards that might be interesting could be Dauthi Voidwalker (both as GY hate and to steal stuff since this deck can shred hands at an insane rate with a good hand - might be even MD material) and Damn as SB tech - since both modes are pretty attractive and achievable for this deck.

Sep 2011

If you can make space, I wonder how good Karn, the Great Creator could be here.
    +1: Destroy Chalice of the Void blocking your reanimate spell
    +1: Destroy Tormod's Crypt
    -2: Put some artifact fatty in hand
    -2: Find an answer to their hate piece
    -2: Get LED to discard fatty & flashback Unburial Rites
    -2: Get Liquimetal Coating to remove Karakas

Edit: I had some comments about too many reanimation spells and playing too many Unmasks, before noticing you're on Yorion and 80 cards.

I think Yorion stompy doesn't work. Stompy mana needs a critical mass of sol lands. Going to 80 cards dilutes the acceleration. You can play redundant Unmasks, Reanimates, and threats but you can't play redundant acceleration because there are only so many Tombs, Rituals and Petals in print. The Reanimate plan gets diluted too because there is no good replacement for Entomb. I think Yorion works better when there are more redundant version of cards to use (cantrips, counters, removal, Strixes). If you had to go down to 60 cards, which would you keep?

May 2015
    PDX

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3103331#online This is how UW Reanimator is played, bounce that life all over the place. SB intentionally left at 13 cards (but secretly those are just 3cmc Kaya). Combo in every direction, at all times.

Sep 2011

It's funny that activating Temple of Aclazotz on Death's Shadow (or getting it StPed) guarantees you lose the game on upkeep to Triskaidekaphobia unless you can intervene with some other life-altering effect.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's funny that activating Temple on Death's Shadow (or getting it StPed) guarantees you lose the game on upkeep to Triskaidekaphobia unless you can intervene with some other life-altering effect.
    Hence the Silent Clearing, Fetchlands, P-Fire self, and Cling.
    Deck is a blast though. The horror opponents must feel when facing down P-Fire, Grove, and Trisk.

Sep 2011

I do like this idea of playing Shadow where you're actually in control of your life total and where your life loss is to accomplish something (draw cards, reanimate things) instead of just cycling and playing lands.

Thread Information