Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
The vast majority of decks are designed to win based on life. Most decks win the game by either bringing their opponents life total from 20 to 0 before their opponents do the same, or by preventing their opponents from bringing their own life total down to 0 by the time they manage to stabilize.

Everytime someone casts an Watery Grave untapped, they are giving up 10% of their starting life total. A deck with 3 Watery Graves is going to lose a lot more life every single game than an identical deck with 3 Underground Sea. Every single Grave that etbs is one less storm your opponent needs, or one less bolt, or one less swing with a creature etc. Now extrapolate the impact of this life loss over 7 rounds and yes absolutely you are atleast 10% less likely to win a tournament for each Watery Grave in your decklist, all because of the lands you could afford.

If you want to win a tournament, you're going to want those Underground Seas or a similar fetchable dual that has a much less significant drawback than causing you to lose 10% of your starting life total every time.

A deck packing 3 Dimir Garden Once upon a time thus only showing a card at random from your hand to your opponent if it is the first land you have played in the whole game, is far far less likely to cause you to lose a tournament than Watery Grave is...

Dimir Garden Once upon a time
Swamp Island
When ~ etb, if it is the first land you have played this game, it enters tapped unless you reveal a card at random from your hand to everyone (I'm sure that could be worded better)
These numbers are made up and bad (seriously, are you telling me one out of every ten games is decided by weather or not you paid two life to have a singular land in your deck, which you could have fetched around, enter untapped?) but even if they're true and it's 10%. That makes Watery Grave 90% of an underground sea. so I expect Underground Seas to cost 22 bucks right? 111% the price of a Watery Grave?