Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041
Results 801 to 818 of 818

Thread: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

  1. #801
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    maybe the gut instinct shouldn't be "now is the time to go white with Thrull!"
    4th place MTGO Legacy Challenge Bant Stiflenought:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=52576&d=590274&f=LE

    4x Doorkeeper Thrull

    Also
    0x Hide in Plain Sight
    0x Eater of Days
    0x Worldly Tutor
    0x Slip Out the Back
    0x Silver Shroud Costume
    0x Cryptic Coat (although I do like the Stoneforge Coat builds, but they don't work with Thrull)
    Plays removal

    Recent results show Thrull doing work, while the cards I spent 2000 words saying are bad did not make the cut.

  2. #802

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    When did fallout make it to mtgo?

  3. #803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=52872&f=LE
    Split the finals, I'm told
    It's a coat nought, so like half the cards you're taking a victory lap on either aren't on mtgo or are putting up results.

  4. #804
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=52872&f=LE
    Split the finals, I'm told
    It's a coat nought, so like half the cards you're taking a victory lap on either aren't on mtgo or are putting up results.
    The 1 putting up results (Coat) I made a note saying was good, just that it doesn't work with Thrull. Both Thrull & Coat builds have 4xStP, because removal matters like I said.

    Guess Costume isn't on MTGO yet. The other 4 are and not making results. Slip stopped seeing play since the newer enablers. Wait and see how Costume does when it's out...

    Another MTGO Challenge Top 8 with 4x Thrull:
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53098&d=594314&f=LE

  5. #805

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    It's never coming to mtgo. No PIP cards are

  6. #806
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It's never coming to mtgo. No PIP cards are
    Is it having any success in paper Stoneforge builds?

  7. #807

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is it having any success in paper Stoneforge builds?
    In the past seven hours?
    I don't know, the card came out yesterday

  8. #808

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    I played a really bad list this weekend (15 lands because o miscounted)
    But curie was really good!

  9. #809

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Doorkeeper Thrull is indeed awesome. Boshnroll also had a great finish with it as a 4 of…

    https://youtu.be/s2YWLa7p4I0?si=8YMRAHQKFkDkVNWP

    One thing, I would absolutely want to play a 3rd Uro if Im playing 3+ Thrull. The question is what to cut for the 3rd Uro. From Bosh’s list, cutting the 4th Doorkeeper for the 3rd Uro makes lots of sense since neither is a card that you ever want in multiples, especially not Thrull. Atleast Uro takes over a game by itself which makes it more likely your opponent will answer the first one thereby making your duplicate copy useful. But Thrull does nothing by itself, especially if another one is already in play. It doesnt even pitch to force.


    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    The recent slew of 5-0s Dressnought had playing a playset of Doorkeeper Thrull is not a coincidence! I finally got some Doorkeeper Thrull and the card is really really good! Better than I expected and better than Slip. Between the Torpor Orb effect, the anti Batterskull tech, and the surprise flash 1/2 blocking, its always useful, even when not being used to enable the combo. I revised my lists as a result…

    Bant Dressnought 2024

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Dress Down
    4 Force of Will
    4 Stifle
    4 Daze

    2 Prismatic Ending
    4 Swords to Plowshares

    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    3 Doorkeeper Thrull
    1 Brazen Borrower

    4 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Tropical Island
    2 Tundra
    1 Savannah
    1 Snow-Covered Island

    //Sideboard:
    3 Hydroblast
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Collector Ouphe
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Doorkeeper Thrull
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Force of Vigor
    To make room for more Uro, I guess cutting the flex slot 1 of Brazen Borrower also makes the sense especially in this Bowmasters meta. But cutting a Daze works too.

    The sideboard, Im not sold on the one Boshnroll opted for. Seemed too packed with generic good stuff vs a control meta rather than powerful silver bullets targeting key matchups which is how I prefer to build sideboards for a maindeck with as little room for flex slots as this one.

  10. #810

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54259&d=603011&f=LE

    This list came up, and I find Malcolm super weird in a Orcish Bowmasters world. The bunch of one-ofs seems odd as well. Im dipping my toes in a Dreadnought build now and wanna start with UG or UW. What is the consensus so far?

  11. #811

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54259&d=603011&f=LE

    This list came up, and I find Malcolm super weird in a Orcish Bowmasters world. The bunch of one-ofs seems odd as well. Im dipping my toes in a Dreadnought build now and wanna start with UG or UW. What is the consensus so far?
    Yeah that is a weird list. Malcolm doesnt make sense imo.

    As for your question. I am a big fan of playing 3-4 Uro alongside 4 Dreadnought. Uro supplements 4 Stifle, 4 Dress Down and 1 Slip Out the Back or Doorkeeper Thrull super well.

    So between UG and UW, I would go UG. But I actually think Bant (the list I posted above) is the strongest.

    As for UG, I would play…

    Simic Dressnought

    4 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Prismatic Vista
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Forest

    4 Stifle
    4 Dress Down
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    2 Endurance
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Subtlety

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Lorien Revealed
    1 Slip Out the Back
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Force of Negation

    Sideboard:
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Pick Your Poison
    2 Collector Ouphe
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Endurance
    3 Hydroblast

  12. #812
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Kant View Post
    Doorkeeper Thrull is indeed awesome. Boshnroll also had a great finish with it as a 4 of…

    https://youtu.be/s2YWLa7p4I0?si=8YMRAHQKFkDkVNWP

    One thing, I would absolutely want to play a 3rd Uro if Im playing 3+ Thrull. The question is what to cut for the 3rd Uro. From Bosh’s list, cutting the 4th Doorkeeper for the 3rd Uro makes lots of sense since neither is a card that you ever want in multiples, especially not Thrull. Atleast Uro takes over a game by itself which makes it more likely your opponent will answer the first one thereby making your duplicate copy useful. But Thrull does nothing by itself, especially if another one is already in play. It doesnt even pitch to force.
    Thrull does a lot of useful stuff in non-Goldfish games, because it disrupts the opponent at instant speed. Because it's a removal target, an extra copy is not a bad thing.

    4 Thrull has been the mainstream tech for a while now, even before the Bosh N Roll vid

    Finishes on mtgtop8 from the last month:
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54166&d=602224&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54166&d=602229&f=LE
    UW https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54260&d=603014&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54260&d=603017&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54030&d=601279&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54021&d=601229&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53919&d=600576&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53715&d=599338&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53674&d=599050&f=LE
    UW https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53682&d=599117&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53560&d=598104&f=LE
    UWr https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53635&d=598774&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53465&d=597401&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53420&d=597004&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53464&d=597396&f=LE
    Bant https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53242&d=595614&f=LE

    All those have 4 Thrull.

    Decks without 4 Thrull
    UW https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53420&d=597008&f=LE (2 Thrull)
    Mono U https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53345&d=596363&f=LE
    BUG https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=53375&d=596580&f=LE

    I think it's safe to take a victory lap for Thrull now.

    Cryptic Coat made it as a 1-of in a few lists, but most don't play it.
    Slip out the Back is only seeing play in the rarer builds without white.
    Silver Shroud Costume still isn't showing up in paper.
    Hide in Plain Sight+Worldly Tutor is not making results.

  13. #813
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=54259&d=603011&f=LE

    This list came up, and I find Malcolm super weird in a Orcish Bowmasters world. The bunch of one-ofs seems odd as well. Im dipping my toes in a Dreadnought build now and wanna start with UG or UW. What is the consensus so far?
    The Malcolm deck is atypical. It's a brew from a small weekly event of 13 players. See the other decks linked above. The other builds are doing better.

    The most successful build now is Bant (UWG). If you can only afford to build 2 colors, UW does better than UG.

    UW does better because than UG:
    -Doorkeeper Thrull is strong tech in a meta full of Bowmasters, Goblins, Grief scam, Initiative, The One Ring, and other ETB value
    -Removal is important to interact with enemy decks (Swords to Plowshares, Prismatic Ending). UG struggles with removal.
    Last edited by FTW; 04-14-2024 at 02:15 PM.

  14. #814

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Yeah that is a weird list. Malcolm doesnt make sense imo.

    As for your question. I am a big fan of playing 3-4 Uro alongside 4 Dreadnought. Uro supplements 4 Stifle, 4 Dress Down and 1 Slip Out the Back or Doorkeeper Thrull super well.

    So between UG and UW, I would go UG. But I actually think Bant (the list I posted above) is the strongest.

    As for UG, I would play…

    Simic Dressnought

    4 Wasteland
    4 Misty Rainforest
    3 Prismatic Vista
    3 Tropical Island
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Forest

    4 Stifle
    4 Dress Down
    4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    2 Endurance
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Subtlety

    4 Brainstorm
    4 Ponder
    4 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    2 Lorien Revealed
    1 Slip Out the Back
    1 Life from the Loam
    1 Force of Negation

    Sideboard:
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Pick Your Poison
    2 Collector Ouphe
    2 Veil of Summer
    2 Endurance
    3 Hydroblast
    I was thinking about something like this initally for UG:
    https://www.moxfield.com/decks/nhQSB24_p0m-X5l2Efcn-g

    Im building with what I have available for starters.

  15. #815

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Quote Originally Posted by johncarvalho View Post
    I was thinking about something like this initally for UG:
    https://www.moxfield.com/decks/nhQSB24_p0m-X5l2Efcn-g

    Im building with what I have available for starters.
    I like the list. It looks fun. Really like that youre experimenting with some brand new untested tech. Let me know how it ends up doing.

    4 mana seems like a lot for Vannifar but Legolas is very cheap and effective at protecting Nought and Uro, either of which can win a game on their own, so I hope it ends up being good.

  16. #816
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Interesting deck!

    If you prefer UG to UW, a few things:
    1) 3 Run Afoul or Pick Your Poison in the SB help with scary flyers (Marit Lage, Archon of Cruelty, Emrakul, Murktide). Otherwise UG struggles at killing things. Pick Your Poison also kills enchantments and artifacts, but doesn't answer Marit Lage at instant speed like Run Afoul. Marit Lage, Emrakul and Archon all race Dreadnought. You need answers.

    2) Endurance main is strong the the current meta, with UB Scaminator as the #1 deck and many decks on Murktide. Wouldn't hurt to have more Endurance main.

    3) SB needs removal for Chalice @ 1.
    Ouphe and Null Rod don't kill it. Pick Your Poison misses. So that's a reason to have your disenchant slot be something else (Force of Vigor, Seeds of Innocence, etc.) and play Run Afoul separately, instead of having Pick your Poison play both roles (misses Chalice & Marit Lage, both big problems)

    4) 4 Daze (picking up lands) doesn't play well with the Uros and 4 cmcs like Vannifar. May want to cut to 0-2 Daze. This has been tested before in other decks and vids. The problem is UG must race (no removal) but has most threats at turn 3, so losing land drops to Daze+Wasteland really sets you back. Daze works better in the decks with more early plays.

  17. #817

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    Thanks for the feedback, this was a 1st draft.

    Good points, I will take all that in consideration and keep tuning the list :)

    Pick your poison and FoV are something im looking into, as well as maybe some number of dismember.

  18. #818
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,803

    Re: [Primer] Six Shades of Dressnought aka Vaka-Nought

    They're small tuning things that wouldn't show up goldfishing but would affect how the deck plays against Tier 1 decks. Overall the deck idea looks good. Good luck!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)