Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Brainstorming] Rogue Stompy / Steal Stompy

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

[Brainstorming] Rogue Stompy / Steal Stompy

With Oko banned, this idea seems more feasible now - a Stompy deck based around those two cards:

Opposition Agent
    Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire

Agent is good on its own while Varragoth might be decent as well - and it can even tutor up Agent on its own. The idea is the lock the opponent out from searching while drawing their best cards to beat them in addition to your own cards. Question is, where to go from there?

Maralen of the Mornsong is an obvious tutor target to set up the lock with Agent. Karakas can do shenanigans with both Malaren and Varragoth (to save it from suicide attacks while still tutoring up stuff).

Both core cards are rogues, so going into that direction might be worthy exploring as well. Cavern, and cards like Bitterblossom + equipment, Earwig Squad or even the new Nighthawk Scavenger. Fill up potential free slots with utility creatures like Murderous Rider and Plague Engineer. Running Bitterblossom would also open up the combo with Contamination - whether it's a one-off tutor target or better supported with Ophiomancer (no rogue, though) in addition to Bitterblossom to use it as some kind of pseudo-Bloodmoon.

Another direction could be going for more search jamming in combination with cards like Wishclaw and that 1 mana tutor that searches for both players to abuse Agent more.

The rogue idea with a bunch of lifegain cards (Rider, Scavenger, equipment) to compensate for the various sources of life loss sounds the most interesting to me. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Barook; 02-16-2021 at 04:45 AM.

Re: [Brainstorming] Rogue Stompy / Steal Stompy

I think that this could be an interesting take over other Mono B builds we've seen.
    As you said the main point is to understand what other cards should complete the deck outside the core of Cotv/Agent/Sire/Engineer in 4x (+ trini?)+1 maralen
    Bitterblossom+equip can be interesting, at the same time without Astrolabe Contamination can be viable again...

With repeatable top deck tutors i would be very tempted to play 1 Entreat the Dead. It makes vaggaroth a bomb by itself.

I second the rogue tribal option. Does Earwig squad work with opposition agent?

Oona’s Blackguard
    Stinkdrinker Banneret
    Are decent lords

Earwig Squad
    Nighthawk Scavenger
    Cloak and Dagger
    Bitterblossom
    Noggin whack
    Utility

Audacious Thief
    Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
    Blackbloom Rogue
    On tribe smoothing/CA

Notion thief
    Anowon, the ruin thief
    Thieving Skydiver
    True Name Nemesis
    Cold-eye selfie
    Ghostly pilferer
    Soaring Thought-Thief
    Robber of the Rich
    Brazen Borrower
    Powerful splashes.

Merfolk and turbo muxus have shown that cavern in stompy can be quite strong.

Cloak and Dagger seems particularly good as a way to protect your combo pieces that works well with sol lands. T1 sol land cloak, they ponder, cavern agent should be gg vs basically most fair decks.

Even without the shroud being relevant it’s still 2 colourless mana for 2 power which ain’t the worst. Really good with cold eye selkie too or the other “discount bin dark confidants”

Mar 2007

Earwig Squad doesn't work with Agent (I even initially listed it as combo) since you're the one doing the searching. Agent only triggers if your opponent does the search. Varragoth is different since it forces target player to search, hence the combo working.

Cloak and Dagger really sounds interesting. T1 C&D into T2 uncounterable Agent via Cavern is potentially backbreaking for certain decks. An untargetable Varragoth for repeated tutoring doesn't sound too shabby, either. Shroud doesn't go well with an equipment plan, though.

Edit: Scavenger + C&T seems pretty strong as well. It becomes at least a 3/3 lifelinking evasive beater, probably much higher, depending on the opponent. Being untouchable seems like a major upgrade to it.

The attaching doesn’t target, so I believe multiple cloaks should be able to attach to the same new rogue. Other equipment will not be good though correct.

Because of how good cavern + cloak is with a lock piece I would be VERY tempted to splash notion thief and anowon off of 4 cavern 4 Darkwater Catacombs. These old filter lands are not well know but very helpful for allied 2 colour stompy decks. With it 2UB is not too hard, but I won’t splash anything more U intensive than that.

Re:edit 1BB is a bit hard to play in stompy without urborg, which you can’t play with agent... if you can make the mana work it looks strong.

The more I think about it, the stronger the cavern plus cloak plan seems. Blackboom rogue could be an uncounterable 7/3 shroud menace, in your land slots!!!

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    The more I think about it, the stronger the cavern plus cloak plan seems. Blackboom rogue could be an uncounterable 7/3 shroud menace, in your land slots!!!
    Good finds!

Pelakka Predation // Pelakka Caverns sees play in Curse Stompy, so I can definitely see Blackbloom Rogue doing some work here, too. Maybe even run both cards for more consistency?

I think you play 4 rogue 0 predation. My expensive cards immediately recoup the lost tempo if they resolve, but in this more aggro deck you’d rather just have another threat.

Draft list:

4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Darkwater Catacombs
    3 Underground Sea
    1 Swamp

4 Blackbloom Rogue
    4 Chrome Mox

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Cloak and Dagger
    4 Oona‘s Blackguard
    2 Stinkdrinker Bandit
    2 Nighthawk Scavenger
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Vaggaroth, Bloodsky Sire
    4 Notion Thief
    4 Anowon, the ruin thief
    1 Entreat the Dead

Notes:

Lower curve and many useful 2 drops: cut some of the fast mana.
    Packed a bunch of lords into the deck rather than running more comboes since the deck has no selection.
    Maxed out on the most devestating lockpieces regardless of curve.

Mar 2007

I'm not sold on Darkwater Catacombs - lands that can't produce mana on their own makes you more susceptible to mana denial.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a Mono-B build that might run Dark Ritual in addition to Chrome Mox.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I'm not sold on Darkwater Catacombs - lands that can't produce mana on their own makes you more susceptible to mana denial.

Personally, I'm leaning towards a Mono-B build that might run Dark Ritual in addition to Chrome Mox.
    The idea is that in stompy the downsides are irrelevant. You aren’t casting cards on 1 mana anyways & you have so many colourless sources you will never have to convert relevant colours into blue when you don’t want to.

It’s a similar idea to dimir signet in tezzerator. I think t2/t3 protected notion thief is something no other deck can do and sounds incredibly powerful. I had some success with it in the past trying to make yorion curses work.

It’s bad in doubles if you have no chrome mox, but urborg, tomb of Yawgmoth is even worse there. You could replace it with more duals but that makes your double sol land hands worse. Mono B with dark ritual lets you run 3 ball, more scavenger or bitterblossom but you lose the best lord and disruption.

Sep 2011

It may not be necessary to splash blue at all. The mana is smoother in monoblack.

Other useful monoblack Rogues that haven't been listed yet

//Black:
    Nezumi Shortfang
    Tinybones, Trinket Thief
    Faerie Macabre
    Gonti, Lord of Luxury
    Rankle, Master of Pranks

For the blue splash, 1-of Zareth San, the Trickster could be very powerful. Ninjitsu Rogue that can steal any permanent type: Karn, Batterskull, Jace, Griselbrand... good if you're already playing discard and mill effects.

Tinybones could be a good draw engine next to other discard rogues like Oona's Blackguard, Rankle and Nezumi. Nezumi can activate on the opponent's turn to trigger a 2nd draw.

Earwig Squad seems very strong in the SB vs decks like Doomsday and TES, or even UWx control decks with few win conditions.

Also if you're playing Varragoth and Opposition Agent, the deck should really have 1 Maralen of the Mornsong for the possible tutorable lock.

Edit:
    Monoblack Shared Fate.dec

//Lands: 20
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    8 Snow-Covered Swamp
    1 Castle Locthwain

//Artifacts: 11
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Cloak and Dagger

//Rogues: 28
    4 Oona's Blackguard
    2 Stinkdrinker Bandit
    2 Nezumi Shortfang
    1 Tinybones, Trinket Thief
    1 Bitterblossom
    4 Blackbloom Rogue
    4 Opposition Agent
    4 Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
    3 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
    3 Rankle, Master of Pranks

//Lol: 1
    1 Maralen of the Mornsong

//Draft Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Earwig Squad
    3 Plague Engineer
    2 Soul Shatter

Another possibility is to run Contamination + Bitterblossom for ultimate prison.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-18-2021 at 04:14 PM.

Mar 2007

Rankle is an interesting removal engine with Bitterblossom. Blackguard also seems really good with Bitterblossom, but gets rekt by Plague Engineer.

With that many 4-drop, wouldn't running Dark Ritual be almost mandatory to run (even with the anti-synergy with Chalice @1)?

Tinybones would go well with Liliana of the Veil.

With that many legendary creatures, wouldn't Karakas become attractive as a 1-of/tutor target? Aside from saving Varragoth from lethal combat, it's also a CA engine with Gonti - fitting the steal theme is just an added bonus.

Sep 2011

Rankle is an interesting removal engine with Bitterblossom.
    Yeah Rankle has many useful interactions
    Rankle + Bitterblossom = board control
    Rankle + Tinybones = draw engine (each player discards, then you EOT draw; or each player draws & discards, then you EOT draw)
    Rankle + Nezumi/Oona = draw engine (each player draws, then make opponent discard)

Bitterblossom also combos well with Cloak, making a 3/1 flying shroud token for free.

Contamination lock is possible, either MD or out of the SB.

With that many 4-drop, wouldn't running Dark Ritual be almost mandatory to run (even with the anti-synergy with Chalice @1)?
    My list only has 6 4-drops. 31 of 40 nonland permanents are castable as early as turn 1 off Sol Land + Mox. 24 lands including Blackbloom, so hitting 4 mana should not be hard.

Reepl's version above has 2 more 4-drops and 23 lands with Blackbloom, still plenty of mana. Most stompy decks have 8-10 cards at 4+ mana. Curses runs Dark Ritual but also a much higher curve. There should be enough low cmc Rogues that Ritual isn't needed.

Instead of Dark Ritual, this deck might want 4 Thorn of Amethyst as a better turn 1 play off Sol Lands without Mox.

With that many legendary creatures, wouldn't Karakas become attractive as a 1-of/tutor target? Aside from saving Varragoth from lethal combat, it's also a CA engine with Gonti - fitting the steal theme is just an added bonus.
    1 Karakas seems good. I tried to cram in a lot of Swamps to support Castle, but without Castle it's much easier to find space for utility lands. The point of tension is that you probably don't want Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so that OP Agent properly screws their fetchlands, which makes it's hard to produce BB for non-Rogues.

In my opinion tiny bones doesn’t fit well in a tribal or stompy deck. You don’t have enough discard or selection to find it. Targeted discard is fine, but Untargeted discard is trash in stompy. It’s tempo negative, and you already are trying to make them have dead cards in hand. If you agent, then nenzumi, activate and they discard a fetch you probably lost.

Yah it can be a draw engine sometimes, but is it more reliable than glint sleeve which is self-contained, and an evasive clock with stuff like Blackguard?

I agree that we have so many 2 drops and 0 5 drops that we need less fast mana than other stompy decks.

Bitterblossom is so good with Oona it could be played. Contamination and lords are antithetical, you need to decide if this is a aggro deck with disruption or a prison deck.

The 1 of Zarath seems good. Borrower is on tribe removal but the double UU is really sketchy.

An alternative to cities is that we could play a few 1 drops like turbo muxus and rely on cavern to take advantage of them. This lets us play field of ruin (great combo with agent) and basics.

Mar 2007

An alternative to cities is that we could play a few 1 drops like turbo muxus and rely on cavern to take advantage of them. This lets us play field of ruin (great combo with agent) and basics.
    1-drop Rogues

Anti-synergy with Chalice @1 without Cavern aside, Thieves' Guild Enforcer would probably be the most interesting out of the bunch. It can be a 3/1 surprise blocker/pseudo-hasty attacker (when played EoT) with C&D and it would also help enable both Blackbloom Rogue and Nighthawk Scavenger. Combined with the discard from Oona's Blackguard, this should give use plenty of ways to feed the GY.

Edit: Since we're in the tribal theme, we might at least have a look at Pyre of Heroes. Dunno if it would be worth it here, though.

the a route of changeling outcasts can be a logic fit, if we are looking at one drops. ?
    consistent prowling stuff in with unblockable seems good

Sep 2011

Interesting. What does Turbo Muxus look like? I have a Goblins build that probably qualifies as Turbo Muxus, so I might know what you're talking about, but it would help to see another decklist and then compare that to how this Rogue deck could go.

Edit: Do you mean running 1-drops, Vial, Cavern but also Chrome Mox acceleration? Does it include Chalice or do you mean cutting Chalice for more aggro?

Sep 2011

Ah I see. Tomb + Mox acceleration with Chalice, no Vial, Cavern and some 1 drops. I had a similar one without Tomb, but with the full 8 Lackeys and Chalice in the SB. Tomb and MD Chalice is even more turbo, but less Muxus.

I don't think there are any 1 drops worth playing in Rogues.

The big difference with Goblins is Goblin Lackey is the most dangerous card in the deck, threatening to accelerate you by 4-10 mana, so it's worth playing the anti-synergy to have the possibility to turbo out Muxus. Actually, including the Muxus trigger, a single Lackey connection can yield something like 15 mana and a board state that threatens to win on turn 3. Rogues doesn't have anything on that power level on 1 mana. Why not play more Sol Lands and get to run Trinisphere or Thorn of Amethyst? If you can't be explosive, slow other decks down. That works for Soldier Stompy.

Thread Information