Thread: Tools N' Titans

Threaded View

Tools N' Titans

Hey guys! IMHO, this deck is really cool. Have only played it a few times but I will be getting some games in day after tomorrow and will post the results.

This is a take on the old Vintage deck Tools n' Tubbies which used Goblin Welder, beefy artifact creatures and artifact soft lock disruption to smash your opponent. I wanna say that deck was pretty much the top Vintage deck back in 2000 but many of it's cards aren't legal in Legacy. MH2 has brought a bunch of juicy goodies.

The goal is to essentially gain tempo by taxing your opponent with cards like Trinisphere, Tangle Wire and Lodestone Golem and then smashing them to death with Nettlecyst germs, Constructs, Golems, etc.. The Welder goblins are here to circumvent the mana costs of spells by swapping these artifacts in an out of the graveyard. There is a ton of neat tricks and synergies. So far from goldfishing it feels incredibly disruptive and fast. My Nettlecyst germs can get really huge by turn 4. It just cranks out huge dudes. Often I've got 14/14 germs and constructs and multiples of them at once with a live Trinisphere and/or Tangle Wire in play. I did play it online on Untap.in I won 1 game and the second game my opponent scooped by turn 3. I'm not sure what he was playing but I think it was Death & Taxes (I didn't get to see much of his deck but I saw some Vials).

Here's my current list, I've been working on it for the better part of a month:

[EDIT]: Updated the deck. 7/21/21
    Tools N' Titans: 60 cards

Welders: 9
    4x Goblin Welder
    4x Goblin Engineer
    1x Daretti, Scrap Savant

Tools: 11
    2x Servo Schematic
    2x The Underworld Cookbook
    1x Ichor Wellspring
    1x Retrofitter Foundry
    1x Pithing Needle
    4x Faithless Looting

Titans: 11 (counting Urza's Saga. Don't forget Servo token swarms and occasional Welder jabs)
    4x Lodestone Golem
    4x Nettlecyst

Lock / Disruption: 11 (counting Lodestone)
    4x Tangle Wire
    3x Trinisphere

Mana: 25
    4x Mox Opal
    3x Urza's Saga
    4x Ancient Tomb
    4x City of Traitors
    4x Great Furnace
    6x Mountain

EDIT: Updated sideboard
    Sideboard: 15
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Hex Parasite
    1x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Winter Orb
    2x Orcish Vandal
    3x Stingscourger
    1x Defense Grid
    1x Pyrite Spellbomb
    2x Smokestack
    1x O-Naginata
    1x Black Vise

The shell I'm using is based on my old Welder Stax deck. That deck is actually really good! With all of the research I put into that deck I feel like I've really hammered out what works and what doesn't as far as lock / tempo / disruption cards are concerned. This deck imho, looks much stronger. Why lock em out and drag on the game when you can just smash their face and get it over with?

Here's some card explanations:

Welders: These guys are pretty obvious. Cheat threats into play by swapping artifact lock pieces and fatties in and out of the graveyard. The deck actually works fine without them so if they get countered it's no big deal. They do speed up the deck considerably and assuming they get countered or removed then there's that many less removal spells and counters I have to deal with when plopping down Trinisphere, Golems and Nettlecysts. One of my favorite tactics is to swap dead Tangle Wires in and out of the graveyard thus resetting their counters. Also drawing cards off of Ichor Wellspring and creating tons of tokens with Servo Schematic.

The Underworld Cookbook. There are a ton of tricks with this card. First of all it can activate my Mox Opals turn one by using it's ability and creating a food. In the same vein it gives me extra permanents to tap to Tangle Wire. It turns all of my late game dead cards like extra un-needed lands into artifact foods which pumps my constructs and germs and the foods can later be used to gain life in a pinch. The best part however is it's synergy with Welders. It not only pitches juicy artifacts to the yard, it creates an artifact token for me to sac to the Welder to get them into play. It can also be searched out with Urza's Saga. Love this card!

Servo Schematic is super good here too. First of all it single handedly activates my Mox Opals. It also gives me extra permanents to tap to Tangle Wire. It pumps my Nettlecyst germs and constructs and best of all it creates tons of servo tokens when swapped in and out of the yard with Welders pumping my germs and constructs even more.

Ichor Wellspring is pretty much self explanatory here. It's my draw engine with Welders and pumps my dudes and taps to Tangle Wire.

Retrofitter Foundry has a ton of utility in this deck. I don't even need to explain all of the cool synergies it has. And of course can be tutored up with Saga. I really like that I can equip my flying thopters with Nettlecyst!

Sojourner's Companion is literally what this deck needed. When I was building Welder Stax I was looking for a fatty that I could just pitch to the yard from my hand so that it could be Welded out. This guy does that but also finds me an artifact land which retroactively fixes my mana, gives me artifacts to sac to Welders, pumps my dudes.

The rest of the deck I'm sure you guys can figure out. Faithless Looting digs and pitches stuff to the yard for Welders. Tangle Wires and Trinisphere to choke opponent's mana. Lodestone to do the same but also for slapping my opponent for 5. Nettlecyst for smashing face. Note that Nettlecyst does give you two permanents which is also good with Tangle Wire.

Questions, comments, thoughts?
    Last edited by Laser Brains; 07-22-2021 at 02:35 AM.
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

Thread Information