Thread: Clock 'Em

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Clock 'Em

I'm sure this has been attempted before, and it's probably a horrible idea, but is there any MTGO deck that only has the clock as a win con? So not a decking win con or a control lock win con, but just a win con where you create too many triggers that your opponent has to play through that they just don't have enough time to win 2 games in 25 minutes? My initial thought is Tabernacle plus tax effects but I need more cards that force my opponent to take game actions that they can't just auto-yield to. Cards like Energy Flux would be quite good in the sideboard but aren't reliable enough to maindeck. Propaganda effects to slow down combat combined with mana denial or other forms of protection would probably be needed because you still need to survive through the turns your opponent does complete. It also seems like there could be a control shell where you create trigger effects for your opponent and have those triggers trigger other triggers so you have a compounding situation. I really don't know. I only play Legacy online so I don't really know of cards outside the legacy card pool that are known for eating up clock time.

So, any thoughts?

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

Re: Clock 'Em

i've never played legacy on MTGO, but i do remember a sweet STAX deck that only had one true win condition...
    "Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai - Legendary Land {T}: Add {C}.
    When Gods’ Eye, Gate to the Reikai is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, create a 1/1 colorless Spirit creature token."

Sep 2011

The most reliable way would be hacking the client to replace their deck with 4 Horsemen.

Barring that, probably old school Geddon Stax just because of how slow the deck is at doing anything and also how much it taxes the opponent:
    Smokestack
    Tangle Wire
    Ghostly Prison
    The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Trinisphere
    Armageddon
    Wasteland
    Kor Haven

Just remove the 2 actual wincons in the deck with 2 joke stall cards and you're in business. Make sure those joke cards have a lot of complicated text to make the opponent waste time reading.

Restarting the game also seems tech. Karn Liberated is not a typo.

You could also make them name cards with Vexing Arcanix (and then stop the draw with Narset, Parter of Veils or something). Naming cards is even slower than clicking through triggers or paying costs.

Taxing effects that force you to select cards in other zones is also time-consuming. Relic of Progenitus? Web of Inertia?

May 2015
    PDX

All I heard was put Shared Fate in your 4 Horsemen deck.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Relic + Web of Inertia is a great combo! Clock + actually offers some protection.

Rishadan port is a top tier time waster.

Anything that makes people flip coins is also good.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The deck you’re talking about is 4 horsemen
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Ya'll being too glib!

Ok, how about Mana Web? Every time you tap a land you need to resolve a trigger, then when you tap a land in response you need to resolve another trigger, then another, then another, then another. Obvious combo with Winter Orb.

Smothering Tithe?

Thread Information