Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf Howl)

Re: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf H

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It's going to be "frogtouch" and it will turn creatures delt damage by it into frogs.
    Don't forget "froglink".

"Frogreach" is actually frogmanship.
    Not to confuse with pond-shadow.

The most powerful creature is going to be called "Croaker Choker" which kills all frogs but the only good one just like Halo Hunter in the old days.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf H

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Have any other cards been given creature type reach besides dragonreach? This is the only one I found

Ha, no, I don't think so.

It's more of an in-joke with a bunch of guys I used to play with. We went on some tangent one day about Horsemanship and how it was essentially flying but with a silly name, and it was suggested that the ability to block creatures with horsemanship would require an equally silly name, which we decided was "horsereach".

It's really funny to me that even though I forgot this was just a joke with some guys from my last job, everyone seems to have immediately grokked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    The most powerful creature is going to be called "Croaker Choker" which kills all frogs but the only good one just like Halo Hunter in the old days.
    The other Elder Millennials among us would appreciate it if we could keyword this ability into just "frogstomp" tyvm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    The other Elder Millennials among us would appreciate it if we could keyword this ability into just "frogstomp" tyvm
    I would go for "Frogmentize".

For the kidz theze dayz, boosters contain codes for "frogchamp" emotes for arena.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I would go for "Frogmentize".

For the kidz theze dayz, boosters contain codes for "frogchamp" emotes for arena.
    Me: I play Platinum Angel
    Opponent: during my turn, cast Croaking Counterpart targeting your Platz
    Me: that wasn't very froggers of you

I look forward to Frogatog.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

This thing looks great. Fetchable with Recruiter and great synergy with Vial. You can even reset it later with a Blink effect to pump your team even more. The lifelink should come in as pretty handy, especially in racing situation and/or with equipment. It might even be playable in white Stompy decks, as those can easily afford to pump it multiple times and then recover life lost to Ancient Tombs.

The only downside I see is that it's a dead draw if Plague Engineer is already set on Humans.

Edit: It's also really stupid in multiples. Let's say you can Vial on two of those with 2 counters each, you have two 7/5 lifelinkers that also give your entire team a permanent +4/+4. This is nuts.

You can ephemerate it

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The ETB "multikicker" creatures are a cycle. The black one seems kinda underwhelming compared to the white one.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

The ETB "multikicker" creatures are a cycle. The black one seems kinda underwhelming compared to the white one.
    Like at least they realized a 2/3 stat line for 2 mana with deathtouch and late game shenanigans ruins the limited experience and made it mythic.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

The black one does lend itself to being pretty explosive though, you get 2 Zombies for each time you pay. You can cheat the card in and still pay the cost, so it could generate lethal for an opponent at 20 off of 8BBBB, add 1B if you have to cast the guy. The amount of mana is besides the point, though I don't think twelve is exactly a monumental hurdle for a dedicated deck; I suppose the real question is if it could/should be played over a more traditional combo win like Tendrils or whatever the cool UB combo decks are playing.

Personally I like the White one but that's just me enjoying decks that turn White hatebears sideways like the little kid I am

The black one does lend itself to being pretty explosive though, you get 2 Zombies for each time you pay. You can cheat the card in and still pay the cost, so it could generate lethal for an opponent at 20 off of 8BBBB, add 1B if you have to cast the guy. The amount of mana is besides the point, though I don't think twelve is exactly a monumental hurdle for a dedicated deck; I suppose the real question is if it could/should be played over a more traditional combo win like Tendrils or whatever the cool UB combo decks are playing.

Personally I like the White one but that's just me enjoying decks that turn White hatebears sideways like the little kid I am
    The zombies don't have haste so what's the point of comparing this to Tendrils.
    Since they die at the end of combat, you can't just make a few and win over multiple turns like Empty the Warrens.

This guy seems more like mana sink for Cabal Coffers style ramp decks.
    Still seems pretty meh.

Can't wait for the underwhelming red Adversary since red gets shafted in pretty much every cycle.
    Inb4 the green one is not a frog.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Yes they are not hasty Zombies, I don't really subscribe to the idea of one-card combos so you'd either be looking at a way to EOT the guy or give your tokens haste. Maybe it is indeed a bigger pain in the dick than just casting 9 spells and then casting Tendrils or ETW, I'm not sure.

Anyway I've been more excited about the GW Glimpse with Flashback and the White multikicker guy, just seems like that Black multikicker guy makes a ton of Zombies and I'd be surprised if it had absolutely no home in a deck.

Yes they are not hasty Zombies, I don't really subscribe to the idea of one-card combos so you'd either be looking at a way to EOT the guy or give your tokens haste. Maybe it is indeed a bigger pain in the dick than just casting 9 spells and then casting Tendrils or ETW, I'm not sure.

Anyway I've been more excited about the GW Glimpse with Flashback and the White multikicker guy, just seems like that Black multikicker guy makes a ton of Zombies and I'd be surprised if it had absolutely no home in a deck.
    It's 3 mana per activation, this card occupies the space between 2/3 deathtouch for 2 and an awful Gravet Titan for 5.
    It's ok when you vial it in and pay 3, but vial sucks in a world of Ending/Ragavan.

Wow, this is even worse than what I've expected for the red one.
    At least the blue card in a cycle is not by far the best for a change.

This guy seems fairly decent for an uncommon.
    Not legacy material but still pretty nice.

Good attempt but they could have made it look a bit more like Nic Cage for the Face/Off reference.

May 2015
    PDX

At least the blue card in a cycle is not by far the best for a change.
    Dreadnought disagrees. That's a 2 mana play that forces a Delver user to discard a card or discard their Delver; reasonable floor. We won't actually play this, but the card is above average.

Edit: in a game that goes long, this card also allows a Stasis to be reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Dreadnought disagrees. That's a 2 mana play that forces a Delver user to discard a card or discard their Delver; reasonable floor. We won't actually play this, but the card is above average.

Edit: in a game that goes long, this card also allows a Stasis to be reset.
    Care to elaborate on any of that?
    As far as I understand phasing doesn't change if something is transformed or not.
    4 mana for a Vision Charm with legs doesn't seem that good either.

May 2015
    PDX

Care to elaborate on any of that?
    As far as I understand phasing doesn't change if something is transformed or not.
    4 mana for a Vision Charm with legs doesn't seem that good either.
    B/c it has flash you can wait for your opponent's turn wherein they lose their untap step. At any point after this you can phase out your own Stasis, such that you will begin your turn in an already-happening untap step (i.e. you can't skip something that is already happening), so you phase-in Stasis -> untap your lands -> pay for Stasis -> opponent still lives under Stasis. A good player would deny their opponent's untap step and then cast this card in the opponent's upkeep to phase out the Stasis before the opponent was able to proceed to the draw step.

On the Dreadnought side, this is a 2/1 flash, so as a floor the card Delver has to either die in combat or discard a card from hand (be it Daze or Bolt) - so it's a guaranteed 2 mana discard spell. Now the ultimate mode of cheating in - or better yet countering a removal spell targeting a 12/12 - requires higher land counts...so again Dreadstill and definitely not for Stiflenought. As a Standstill deck it has flash, so we can cast it, untap -> Standstill or respond to an EoT Standstill crack by dumping a 2/1 into play. Not good enough in 2021 for us, but a very synergistic floor nonetheless.

B/c it has flash you can wait for your opponent's turn wherein they lose their untap step. At any point after this you can phase out your own Stasis, such that you will begin your turn in an already-happening untap step (i.e. you can't skip something that is already happening), so you phase-in Stasis -> untap your lands -> pay for Stasis -> opponent still lives under Stasis.
    Sure, if you manage to get 4 mana somehow during Stasis.
    Note that if you phase out permanents opponents control, they don't phase back in, since phasing happens in the untap step.

On the Dreadnought side, this is a 2/1 flash, so as a floor the card Delver has to either die in combat or discard a card from hand (be it Daze or Bolt) - so it's a guaranteed 2 mana discard spell. Now the ultimate mode of cheating in - or better yet countering a removal spell targeting a 12/12 - requires higher land counts...so again Dreadstill and definitely not for Stiflenought. As a Standstill deck it has flash, so we can cast it, untap -> Standstill or respond to an EoT Standstill crack by dumping a 2/1 into play. Not good enough in 2021 for us, but a very synergistic floor nonetheless.
    Using it to trade with Delver seems very very meh.
    4 mana for only being cute doesn't really cut it anymore.
    Is Dreadstill even a thing anymore?

May 2015
    PDX

Sure, if you manage to get 4 mana somehow during Stasis.
    Note that if you phase out permanents opponents control, they don't phase back in, since phasing happens in the untap step.

Using it to trade with Delver seems very very meh.
    4 mana for only being cute doesn't really cut it anymore.
    Is Dreadstill even a thing anymore?
    That is correct on Stasis, though Equipoise [and Karn wish Sands of Time] will generally result in a cleaner deck.

The key to beating Delver is dictating when and how they trade. Where most legacy decks fail vs Daze is the vast expanse between cmc 1 and cmc 3. Their 1 drops are inherently tempo-negative [i.e. reactive] -> not enough 2 drops -> 2 drop gets Dazed, they get Wasted back to 1 mana -> failure to have a second 2 drop -> FoW your kill spell -> by the time they get to 3 mana, they're already in the losing to Bolt abyss, having fallen below 12 life. This is a very predictable sequence by which most legacy decks will lose to Delver decks. You would see this very same thing happening to "control" if Uro didn't gain 3 life, as their decks share this very same construction flaw.

The key to beating Delver (which is to say, making a real legacy deck) is having enough 2 drops that you don't just lose b/c all your hopes died when you got Dazed. The goal should something along these lines:
    -I don't care if Delver Daze's my 2 drop and Wastes me, I'm going to get back to 2 mana and keep hammering until Delver deck can't defend itself against a stream of cards it must trade with, or fall behind and lose deterministically.
    -You literally cannot interact with my 2 mana, and it gets me to 3 mana (i.e. it kills Daze for the rest of the game). An example of this would be special actions [suspend, foretell], Life from the Loam/recursive spell, landcycling, or pulling a Painter and derping out a 2 drop with a Sol land accelerating 1 to 3 mana. Alternatively your deck can be like Delver in the sense that it is proactive when on 1 mana. This is also an area where Saga has found some success, generating mana utilization without allowing Daze to interact.
    -I plays the Uro an' I gains the life an' each time I gains the life the Delver lose attack step, and it threaten ramp from 3 to 5 land if no Dazed. Much skill, very ape...

^This is responsible deck construction. It is the difference between successfully brewing competitively and making forgettable trash. You beat Delver by sticking them in a late game where they lose deterministically b/c you enacted a system whereby Daze, Bolt, and lands drawn from the top will only devastate Delver's chances of getting back into a game they've lost by every other metric.

So as far as the 2/1 flash for 2cmc goes it has a legacy-relevant, completely non-committal *floor*. It's just another bag of crap you light on fire and leave on Delver's doorstep as you ring the doorbell and walk away....but as far as the rest of the format goes, the card does something that *advances* your proactive plan in a meaningful way, and that's the key to a legacy-playable card. I trust this card implicitly to make Delver discard a card or lose their precious 3/2 flying. I also trust this card to mess up an opponent's overcommit to a removal spell [like say Prismatic Ending] in slower games. The main strike against this card is the mixture of Shark'nado existing, and that DRC may require 3 power to force said Delver deck to discard a card. It's actually very close to doing exactly what a Standstill deck requires...it just came a little to late to the printing press. The synergy there however is eternal, unlike cards with a legacy has-been timer [looking straight at stinkers like V. Clique].

Another problem with the card is the wotc decided to buff illegitimate game objects, with one of the worst rules updates on record: phasing no longer exiling tokens... Well done wotc, you nailed that one on the head, let's just buff Marit Lage and make ridiculous germ cards like Kaldra... They need to pull a 180 on this horrid misadventure.

Now I know what you're thinking: "trading 2 mana for a situation you have no control over happening seems bad." Here I'd direct you to every not-Dreadnought deck spamming Dress Down. The difference there again is that Dress Down played only as the solo-Accumulated Knowledge floor will always be less playable than being able to hold up interaction into EoT clock -> untap, slam Standstill...on a card that continues to get more and more powerful as games drag.

As far as Dreadstill goes, yes it is still a deck and it is still the most competitive way to play the card Standstill in strict UW and UR. In capable hands, you should expect this deck to gain money. A normal finish is 3-1 in paper and a mix of 3-2's and 4-1's online. As far as any tier 2 deck (higher power, higher variance) goes, these are numbers you should be posting in paper. Online leagues are combo-skewed so we would expect to see a tier 2 like Post underperform and a tier 2 like Shadow [or Stiflenought for that matter] overperform, for example. These variables should be taken into account when investing money in paper cards responsibly.

The phased out zone hasn't existed for over 10 years now.

Thread Information