Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf Howl)

Re: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf H

This is not replacing glimpse anytime soon, but seems pretty awesome with estrids invocation. Cast in response to the upkeep trigger and it is already a draw 2 with FB, then something like a legions landing is another draw 2.

Re: Innistrad Midnight Hunt: Wolf's is back baby. Its good again. Awoouu! (werewolf H

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    [Rite of Harmony]

This is not replacing glimpse anytime soon, but seems pretty awesome with estrids invocation. Cast in response to the upkeep trigger and it is already a draw 2 with FB, then something like a legions landing is another draw 2.
    It's a powerful effect, but cards that rely on multiple other things to happen in order to do something good have 'win-more' energy. Beck // Call doesn't see much play.

It seems like something that people will at least try in Jeskai Ascendancy combo since it works works with creatures that aren't cast like tokens and reanimation, and it can be flashed back after getting cycled or cast.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Idk if Elves is a real deck anymore, maybe it is; there's something appealing about being able to Flashback your Glimpses, you get such arbitrary mana from that deck and you don't have trouble generating splash colors, I don't think it's totally out of reach to generate and later if you need or want to flash one back. Maybe an experienced Elves player can tell us how often they'd needed to find their second Glimpse to win, and if they'd be willing to pay 2 now and 4 later to effectively have their second Glimpse when they draw the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

The Flip curse is spoiled. I was looking forward to something like this.

“Curse of Leeches"
    {2}{B}
    Enchantment — Aura Curse
    Enchant player
    As this card transforms into “Curse of Leeches”, attach it to a player.
    At the beginning of enchanted player’s upkeep, that player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    Daybound (If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.)
    "Bloodsucking Darkness"
    Creature — Leech Horror
    Lifelink
    Nightbound (If a player casts at least two spells during their own turn, it becomes day next turn.)
    4/4

Curses really needs a back up wincon in case you draw a cruel reality naturally. The other options have significant issues
    • curse of fool’s wisdom is both uncastable and doesn’t answer much outside of brainstorm and sylvan library.
    • Torment of scarabs is wrecked by the punisher mechanic
    • the red ones are both low impact and uncastable.
    • Curse of Thirst is both expensive and doesn’t stabilize at all
    • the commander ones all require creatures attacking the opponent

Pros:
    • Most importantly, it is easily castable so it at least does something when you draw it.
    • Flip mechanic means curse of misfortunes can get multiples out of your deck if it is nighttime.
    • The lifegain stabilizes well on the back side.
    • The back side having 4 toughness means it blocks well and avoids bolt.
    • 4 lifelink is the best at racing of any curse so far.
    • Saga, foundry, sudden edict and Hagra’s mauling make it pretty easy to flip to nighttime without losing tempo.
    • Chalice and Trinisphere punish opponents trying to flip it back to day time.
    • More wincons that can beat a Gaddock Teeg is nice.
    • The deck is very weak to court of cunning, so a tutorable attacker is nice.

Cons:
    • Front side is very low impact.

I think there is an argument to run 2 of these over fools wisdom + something else. It means curse of misfortunes will always pump out threats, and you have less completely dead draws. The flip side is that the drain effect may be so shitty and it is so hard to flip that it’s not worth casting even if you can.

That's some serious value if you can vial it in.
    Might be a bit too wonky.

She seems super strong if you can keep her alive
    Bonus points for taking Uro for an extra round.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Dawnguard is interesting, but it's really hard to say how good it's going to be. If you can Vial it in on a turn where no spells were cast, you can get some value out of it, and then blinking it gives some extra value. However, those a quite a few hoops to jump through to not even get anything if you're unlucky.

Creatures that die while they're under your control when reanimated by Gisa go to the opponent's GY, right?

As for the Leeches Curse, how does Daybound/Nightbound work again? Am I understanding it right that if such a card ETBs, it sets up the day/night cycle, but if you cast the Curse during night, it instantly becomes the 4/4 lifelinker?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Curse of Shaken Faith 1R
    Enchantment - Aura Curse
    Enchant player
    Whenever enchanted player casts a spell other than the first spell they cast each turn or copies a spell, Curse of Shaken Faith deals 2 damage to them.

One sided Pillar that misses the first spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    As for the Leeches Curse, how does Daybound/Nightbound work again? Am I understanding it right that if such a card ETBs, it sets up the day/night cycle, but if you cast the Curse during night, it instantly becomes the 4/4 lifelinker?
    My understanding is that the first one will set up the cycle. If you cast during the night it will be a curse on the stack (which means you have to target for veil?!?) but it will enter as a 4/4 lifelinker. More importantly, in your deck it’s name is leech’s curse but on the battlefield it is the leech, so at night I assume you can get 1 4/4 out every turn. Curse of misfortunes will not see two “bloodsucking darkness” as “curses with the same name”. During the day you can’t get anymore but they aren’t legendary at least.

I don’t know what happens when the game tries to attach a creature to an opponent. I assume nothing. (Edit: it appears I am right, CR 303.4h)

Dawnguard is interesting, but it's really hard to say how good it's going to be. If you can Vial it in on a turn where no spells were cast, you can get some value out of it, and then blinking it gives some extra value. However, those a quite a few hoops to jump through to not even get anything if you're unlucky.
    Is it though?
    You vial it in on your turn and cast nothing: day->night
    In case your opponent can't remove it, they can only cast 1 spell or night->day and you can again cast nothing since you got a vial.
    Also you can cast 2 spells (easy if you get one from Dawnguard) and search again.
    However, this plan only works with vial.
    Without it you probably want something else which interacts with day/night to make it worth it.

Creatures that die while they're under your control when reanimated by Gisa go to the opponent's GY, right?
    Yes. She only cares about creatures under your opponent's control.

Seems so, but here we are again with Licid level rulings.

Mar 2007

Probably one of the cooler mana rocks.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Probably one of the cooler mana rocks.
    It looks like the map device from Path of Exile, heh.

I almost wish they weren't hard-coding all this "if day becomes night" stuff just so they could do more flexible time stuff in the future - like, why can't it just trigger on "when the time of day changes" or something more generic - and it takes up a ton of space on the card to boot. Nevertheless I am still quite interested in this set's mechanic.

Not spectacular but the ward ability is pretty strong.
    Do decks that want to fill the GY play enough spot removal for this to shoot you in your own foot?

This seems very very meh.

that's the shittiest version of meddling mage i've ever seen

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    that's the shittiest version of meddling mage i've ever seen
    Naw, I got you bro: Elite Spellbinder

I would actually rate this white local enchant card as better than Spell Pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    I think this card is good.

Mar 2007

Curse of Silence might be alright as a SB card against certain decks that try to resolve one key spell, like e.g. S&T. Seems still pretty underwhelming, though.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I think this card is good.
    Deathgorge Scavenger disagrees.

Curse of Silence might be alright as a SB card against certain decks that try to resolve one key spell, like e.g. S&T. Seems still pretty underwhelming, though.
    I'd love to see an Uro deck refuse to cast its Uro. Pay 5 for it, also I'll draw one with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    If it wanted to be on my radar it should have gone face.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Naw, I got you bro: Elite Spellbinder

I would actually rate this white local enchant card as better than Spell Pierce.
    I agree on both counts.

This is probably as close to "White Duress" as we will ever get, for better or worse. A disruptive turn 1 play that turns into a card when it's no longer useful seems good for decks that want to apply early-to-mid game pressure but can't play Thoughtseize.

May 2015
    PDX

Remember when people thought they were so smart for casting Dday and putting Cavern or Shelldock Emmy in their pile....ya, that sh*t costs more.

Thread Information