Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SCD] Thran Turbine

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: [SCD] Thran Turbine

I think this deck desperately wants a companion.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Sep 2011

Re: [SCD] Thran Turbine

Unfortunately companion is sorcery speed, so Turbine's upkeep mana cannot pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I wouldn't even touch Turbine unless I was willing to absorb the variance of 4x Geier Reach Sanitarium, and yes, that's legendary. At least you can go turn 1 Geier, cast Turbine -> Turn 2 begin fixing hand with Geier off Turbine mana. I still don't think this is good enough for competitive play, but it's probably as close as you can get to mitigating such variance.
    Why bother with Geier Reach when there are more competitive-viable cards that allow similar opening sequences:

Urza's Saga -> Retrofitter Foundry
    You would miss out on the 1st Construct (unless you have some other way to generate mana), but otherwise Saga casts Turbine, then Turbine pays for 1 Construct and pays for Retrofitter activations every turn, freeing up the rest of your mana and hand to play normal Magic. The advantage here is that Saga + Retrofitter is already Legacy viable, you don't have to jump through extra hoops to justify those cards.

Other abilities you could activate with colorless mana on upkeep:
    Sai, Master Thopterist
    Urza, Lord High Artificer
    Walking Ballista

Too bad there is no reason to ever play the above cards together with an artifact.

Perhaps the bigger issue is this deck is already tight enough and doesn't have room for Sol Rings when it could use that space on "2U: Mind Twist + draw 7" or "2: Counter every Brainstorm and Dark Ritual"

Thread Information