Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SCD] Thran Turbine

Sep 2011

Re: [SCD] Thran Turbine

Verdict being uncounterable is much better than banking mana on Doomskar. Verdict's uncounterable clause has saved me in many many games over different UWx control decks. When you need a board wipe, you need it to resolve.

For 4 Timeless I think you need 6-7 fetchable Plains, so it was just a matter of Plains count. I've never felt comfortable supporting 4 Timeless outside of monowhite. Even with 3 Timeless & 5 Plains, sometimes you run out of Plains and can only hardcast.

You could try out Moonsnare and Thran Turbines. Currency Converter's card selection smooths some variance.

Sep 2011

I tested this out going greedier with Sol Rings (4 Jewel + 1 Turbine) and Saga (4 Saga & +1 Retrofitter).

//Lands: 22
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Prismatic Vista
    2 Tundra
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Plateau
    1 Karakas
    1 Otawara, Soaring City
    4 Urza's Saga
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

//Spells: 15
    4 Force of Will
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Prismatic Ending
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Lorien Revealed

//Artifacts: 11
    4 The Enigma Jewel
    3 Currency Converter
    1 Retrofitter Foundry
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Thran Turbine
    1 Immovable Rod

//Enchantments: 7
    4 Standstill
    3 Shark Typhoon

//Creatures: 3
    3 Timeless Dragon

//Planeswalkers: 2
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler

I found the deck clunkier. The mana and draws were less stable. I flooded on Saga & Sol Rings too often instead of drawing more reliable cards. I preferred the previous build.

Thran Turbine was dead or awkward in many situations where Jewel would have been better. The timing restriction is a big difference. I had both Jewel & Turbine in play very early one game (turn 2?), and the only times it really mattered were for making big Sharks. But I had to make Shark on upkeep twice (tapping out before draw step) instead of making Shark after opponent's attack step, so that was pretty bad. Otherwise Jewel was enough. The Turbine trigger went ignored many times. To make use of Turbine, I slammed Sagas early instead of developing lands, and then when I got Sagas Wasted I just had an unused Turbine and impaired mana development = very impaired early game development that lost or almost lost games.

Retrofitter was unimpressive in the few games I played. The 1/1 bodies were slow & unreliable chump blockers, and too slow if I needed to block flying (what the 2/2 rogues can't already do better). Maybe it would shine in other scenarios, but it never did much for me.

You could quad hammer on Sol Ring, Converter, Saga etc. That's one direction. It would be more consistent at doing the 1 thing more often, but it seems less good at playing Magic overall. You're really shoehorned into 1 game plan and if that plan is ineffective then you don't have much else to do. Whereas if you don't force the combos as hard, you can still abuse the interactions sometimes but also play a reasonable fair Magic game. It might come down to playstyle. I think the quad hammer is overkill and kills the decision trees and play patterns. The other build was already good enough at using Sol Ring, without being completely dependent on certain sequences of cards.

Ok thanks for doing some testing. You are probably right to keep it as a minimal package.

Thread Information