Thread: Mono-Green Stompy

Hybrid View

Mono-Green Stompy

It's not particularly good, but it is fun, and it can be fairly explosive. It definitely catches people by surprise! (Note: this is 'stompy' in the classic sense, not the new-fangled Faerie Stompy-inspired sense.)

It's straightforward and easy to play: dump your hand and attack, attack, attack.

Creatures: 35

4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Hexdrinker
    4 Endurance
    3 Noble Hierarch
    3 Ignoble Hierarch
    3 Scryb Ranger
    3 Predator Ooze
    3 Allosaurus Shepherd
    3 Kitchen Finks
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Vigor
    1 Ulvenwald Tracker
    1 Tajuru Preserver
    1 Thrashing Brontodon

Spells: 8

4 Song of the Dryads
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Lands: 18

4 Gaea's Cradle
    14 Forest

Sideboard:

4 Weather the Storm
    3 Reclamation Sage
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Gaea's Blessing
    1 Bane of Progress

Like I said, it's not very good, and I don't think it ever will be. But how can it be better?
    Last edited by Goaswerfraiejen; 08-27-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Re: Mono-Green Stompy

Natural order and stax elements. I don’t recall the thread where I posted a list, but it was based around trinity green.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Natural order and stax elements. I don’t recall the thread where I posted a list, but it was based around trinity green.
    WeaponX, your Trinity Green deck from way back in, I wanna say 2014, is at MTG Salvation. That deck was really good and it inspired me to perfect it with a Winter Orb / Root Maze soft lock which I worked on for the better part of a year. My “Root Maze / Winter Orb” had flaws though. Your build was much better.

Your build ran Chalice + Trinisphere with Ancient Tomb and powered out Titania, Protector Of Argoth with a number of other fatties such as Thragtusk. If I’m remembering right Tangle Wire was there too. I could see an updated list of your build being hugely successful with all of the new cards. Especially Urza’s Saga.

Found the link. This deck was dirty!
    http://https://www.mtgsalvation.com/...green-for-2014
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

I agree that's a better deck (and also quite fun!), and that it merits a return. But:

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    this is 'stompy' in the classic sense, not the new-fangled Faerie Stompy-inspired sense.

Classic stompy was never particularly good, because it had virtually no mid- or late-game. It just exploited a very low mana curve to stomp face as quickly as it could. (Think: infect decks nowadays.)
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

I agree that's a better deck (and also quite fun!), and that it merits a return. But:

Classic stompy was never particularly good, because it had virtually no mid- or late-game. It just exploited a very low mana curve to stomp face as quickly as it could. (Think: infect decks nowadays.)
    That’s not how infect is nowadays, it is a tempo-combo deck.

Affinity and Madness have shown that pure aggro can work in legacy. But they both have insane ways of cheating on mana (led or affinity) and a way to reload (thoughtcast and anjes ravager).

Cradle is pretty awesome, but you might want a way to reload. Coco or tireless tracker?

But probably it’s better to just play elves with a bunch of lords instead of NO. Quirion ranger plus Yavimaya is greens best way to cheat on mana.

Sep 2011

Stompy was also about fast beatdown aggro. This is more midrange using creatures for mana ramp. None of the threats are that scary at the beginning, so you are building up mana towards a midrange threat.

At that point, why not run 3x Natural Order into a 1x Progenitus (backup targets = Carnage Tyrant, Archon of Valor's Reach)? It's an easy T3 payoff for your mana dork, and Allosaurus makes it uncounterable.

Another route could be to play more value creatures like Elvish Reclaimer and use a GSZ toolbox to get silver bullets like Questing Beast, Collector Ouphe, Scavenging Ooze, Tireless Tracker.

Unfortunately the NO strategy ends up being a worse version of Elves, and the Reclaimer GSZ toolbox strategy ends up being a worse version of Maverick/GW Depths.

Stepping back a bit, ask yourself what can Mono Green creatures offer that other decks can't do? That's what you should be trying to maximize here. (4x Steel Leaf Champion?)
    It's probably correct to run 4x Endurance maindeck (like you are) and multiple Choke in the SB.

I remember the old school mono green Stompy. That was back when “Stompy” didn’t mean Chalice + Ancient Tomb. That old build ran Rogue Elephants and Ogres.

I think with your build a Lord of some sort might not be bad. How good are the Hierarchs when you have 35 weenies? I feel like Steel Leaf Champion would be really good here. A 5/4 beater with evasion for only 3 mana seems tight!
    "WaaaauuugghhhaaaauuugghhhaauuugghhhaaauuugghhhW" -Chewbacca

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

I’m confused now. So you don’t want to try to improve a mono green deck?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

I’m confused now. So you don’t want to try to improve a mono green deck?
    Improvements that fit the theme. I'm not interested in green faerie stompy, even if that's a better deck, because that's fundamentally different from classic stompy.

RIP Ari

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

So you just want tribal elves with craterhoof behemoth then?
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Thread Information