Thread: Throes of Chaos - Valki

Throes of Chaos - Valki

Hey! If you play Throes of Chaos and cascade into Valki, god of lies, can you play his flip side? And if so, why / why not?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Throes of Chaos - Valki

Not any more, they changed the rules for Cascade:

702.85a Cascade is a triggered ability that functions only while the spell with cascade is on the stack. “Cascade” means “When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card whose mana value is less than this spell’s mana value. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost if the resulting spell’s mana value is less than this spell’s mana value. Then put all cards exiled this way that weren’t cast on the bottom of your library in a random order.”
    I bolded and underlines the important part. You can only cast the spell if it's less that the mana value when you reveal it and when you cast it. When you reveal Valki it will be less (2 is less than 4), but when you try to cast the other side, it won't be (7 is more than 4), so you can't do it.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Re: Throes of Chaos - Valki

H is right, they updated the rules for Cascade to close this loophole.

Other similarly worded effects, like Bring to Light do still work, you can cast Bring to Light for 2 colors, find Valki and cast Tibalt.
    Specifically Cascade does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information