Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battleforge

Sep 2011

Re: Battleforge

Quote Originally Posted by jhhdk View Post
    I am sure there is a good reason for not considering Kor Duelist like the card is not good enough on its own, but it seems that axe and jitte are REALLY good with double strike, so I'd like to hear your reasoning for not trying it.
    Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Umezawa's Jitte, Shadowspear and Nettlecyst have Equip cost 2. In particular, Axe needs 2 more mana for EACH copy created!!

The main exploit of this deck is gaining massive tempo by paying Equip 0 instead of Equip 2. That is what makes 4x Axe so good. Axe is not playable with Equip 2, but is amazing with Equip 0! Puresteel Paladin and Fervent Champion enable Equip 0. Nettlecyst's Living Weapon is also like having Equip 0 on Cranial Plating. These cards allow play patterns making big threats for little mana.

Kor Duelist does not enable those play patterns. You lose a lot of tempo paying 2 to Equip Axe #1 and then another 4 to equip the 2 copies (and if you don't, you didn't really profit off the double strike trigger). That's a lot of mana to get the payoff! At that point Axe looks bad. You're better off sequencing T1 Kor Duelist T2 Bonesplitter (which still sees no Legacy play). Duelist's double strike can have a big payoff but it's slow on tempo, and this deck is trying to cheat on tempo.

Esper Sentinel needs full equip costs but it can at least gain back tempo by increasing the tax. If you pay 2 to equip Axe, opponent's tax goes from 1 to 3! So you either make back the tempo (opponent slows down and wastes more mana) or win free cards.

Therefore, Duelist seems worse than the other threats (Champion, Puresteel, Nettlecyst, Saga, Esper). If you run a build with more creatures (Ragavan or Mother), maybe Duelist fights for those extra spots. But Monke is such good tempo... Monke probably wins.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Ah man, I wish I could explain things as clearly as you.
    The different language etc ... you know and of course ... insight in the mechanics.
    Anyway, well said, well explained. :)

Jul 2005
    Belgium

I think it might be an improvement if we replaced 1 or 2 Plows with Dispatch

Considering how quickly the deck can reach Metalcraft - often no later than T2 - ideally you just want that first removal spell to be Plow. The 2nd to 4th plow is probably better off as a Dispatch.
    For that reason I'd like to try out at least 1 dispatch.
    That still gives you a 75% chance the first you'll get is a plow.
    Dispatching a Murktide feels a lot better than plowing it.

Sep 2011

Yeah, seems good. Yesterday I tested a couple matches vs GW Depths. Giving opponent 20 life is not ideal.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Metalcraft is usually so quickly reached - T1 regularly - that it just makes sense to replace all plows with Dispatch.
    We could make the ReanimatorT1 argument but besides that T1 in that specific matchup it seems to me that dispatch is the better choice.

Sep 2011

The reason for Plow isn't Reanimator but disruption. Metalcraft is easy vs a Goldfish, but the more cards we have that depend on artifact count the easier it is for an opponent to shut down the deck by attacking artifacts.

Mox Opal can already be a liability when opponent does T1 Wasteland on Ancient Den (lose 2 white sources). We don't want them to be able to turn off all our removal too. Cards like Meltdown and Force of Vigor come in G2 and G3.

I might start with 2 Dispatch 2 Plow for now.

Path to Exile is still a card.
    While having to give your opponent a basic might suck, it's still better than losing or having to win the game twice.

Jul 2005
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Path to Exile is still a card.
    While having to give your opponent a basic might suck, it's still better than losing or having to win the game twice.
    Good suggestion.
    2 Path, 2 dispatch for starters ?

Thread Information