Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    After some googling I found this:

I guess it was on the basic sheet which would be still weird as they were borderless.
    Lol, imagine opening a pack that's only value is going to be the basic labs and getting Steamflogger Boss instead

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    That would probably require 2 separate sheets for every rarity which they can't be bothered with.
    They would also manage to screw it up somehow, I'm rather sure.
    How confident are you that they won't screw up the acorns either?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    How confident are you that they won't screw up the acorns either?
    Seems they already have with Water Gun Balloon Game. Ten bucks says if nobody on Twitter had said anything it would have gone to print like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Uuuuugh.

These are increasingly poor design decisions. (Not surprising, given the acelerated release schedule.)
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Seems they already have with Water Gun Balloon Game. Ten bucks says if nobody on Twitter had said anything it would have gone to print like that.
    How unsurprising.

They couldn't have chosen a less overlookable feature and still managed to fuck it up.

People will still buy it in droves.
    Modern consumer culture is awful.

Edit:

(Editor's Note: In a previous version of this article, this card's holofoil stamp was displayed with the oval shape security stamp when it should have been an acorn security stamp. This card has an acorn stamp with the same format legality as other acorn-stamped cards in this article.)
    I'll give them a week to screw it up for real.

The difference between a goofy design and a really cool, creative design is often just in the “skin” (Look At Me, I’m The DCI vs Meddling Mage). Previous Un-sets have strayed really close to designs with reasonable fantasy-world flavor and super intuitive yet creative mechanics (Three-Headed Goblin, Animate Library). Hearthstone has shown that a lot of fantasy gamers are open to game flavor that doesn’t take itself too seriously. I kinda dig the design space they’re exploring here, but the business about some of the cards being legal and others not is weird.
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 12-02-2021 at 02:21 AM.

So basically the future of Magic is Commander, Historic "where we test random bullshit," and "Modern Horizons the format." Color me interested.

On the particular aspect of Steamflogger Boss, it has been stated numerous times when Unstable came out that this card had its own separate sheet.

On all the rest, I just don't see what all the bitching is about.

Some black-border cards won't be "tournament-legal in eternal formats", and a nut holo will be a sign they aren't. So what ? When legality is defined by banlists, how does that change anything ? And who the fuck does that actually affect in any relevant way ?

Players that don't play in tournaments ? They don't care about tournament legality.

Players that play in Modern or more recent tournaments ? Like a Commander set, no Unfinity card is legal in these so acorn or not doesn't change anything.

Players that play in Legacy or Vintage tournaments ? Yeah, think of all these unaware, innocent new players entering a legacy or vintage tournament who will get burned trying to play an acorn card in a sanctioned tournament ! Dang, and they knew about silver-border being forbidden, and they knew about the format banlist, but only somehow filtered it by non-acorn cards and got caught trying to play a manual dexterity or an art-matters card ! So much for the Legacy and Vintage tournament scenes being the entry point for MtG.

Just stop the useless bitching and do something productive with your lives instead. And for those of you who weren't bitching, thank you for demonstrating there still are some sane people on the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdr View Post
    140x Relentless Rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bleiweiss
    I wish that Wizards would have just gone ahead and done away with the Reserved List entirely. It is nothing but a blight on the game and one that long outlived its purpose. [...] I am wholeheartedly in favor of getting rid of the Reserved List and reprinting higher-dollar staple cards from EDH and Legacy. Pete Hoefling the owner of StarCityGames.com agrees with my point of view as well.
    - Ben Bleiweiss, SCG General Manager, Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerLewis View Post
    On the particular aspect of Steamflogger Boss, it has been stated numerous times when Unstable came out that this card had its own separate sheet.
    Ok so they can make cards in one set with two different borderes? They'd just have to make sure it divides by the quantity of a sheet but not really because it turns out you can make a sheet of just one card and still distrib...
    Just stop the useless bitching and do something productive with your lives instead.
    Lol you almost had me there!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Are we not talking about this?

The majority, but not all, of the cards that can sticker or care about stickers are eternal playable (usable in Commander, Legacy, and Vintage).
    What are the chances something is pushed a little too hard and now we're a sticker format?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

He also said that none of the sticker cards are pushed.

But also stickers can be tracked by paper and you can get your sticker sheets at random using your phone which means:

None of the cards are playable, and even if they were their effects are incredibly random, and even if they weren't it's just ability-counters by another name.

...and we needed this shit in eternal constructed formats because...?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    He also said that none of the sticker cards are pushed.
    Like Nexus of Fate that did not see any constructed play whatsoever, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    Like Nexus of Fate that did not see any constructed play whatsoever, right?
    Right, the card they pushed to sell boxes was played.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    ...and we needed this shit in eternal constructed formats because...?
    IDK, why do you need any new cards? If you want to freeze the game in Amber may I suggest Cube? Or one of those nostalgia chasing X-school formats?

May 2015
    PDX

Looking forward to 12-PostIt as a new archetype.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Looking forward to 12-PostIt as a new archetype.
    ... that's a great name tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Nic Stick

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    IDK, why do you need any new cards? If you want to freeze the game in Amber may I suggest Cube? Or one of those nostalgia chasing X-school formats?
    This is a stupid argument, of course not every change is good, and plenty are in fact going to be stupid and bad.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    This is a stupid argument, of course not every change is good, and plenty are in fact going to be stupid and bad.
    That has nothing to do with what I, or the poster I quoted, said.

Thread Information