Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

  1. #1
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,351

    Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ond-2021-11-29

    There's alot to dig in here, but the basic gist is:


  2. #2
    Hymn-Slinging Mod
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    3,303

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Here are the examples, so far, that I think we have been shown to be Eternal legal cards:

    Not this one actually, see the post further below:


    But these two are:

    Last edited by H; 11-29-2021 at 03:31 PM.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  3. #3
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,351

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    How does Saw in Half interact with something like Death's Shadow? Do you get two */* tokens?

  4. #4
    Hymn-Slinging Mod
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    3,303

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    How does Saw in Half interact with something like Death's Shadow? Do you get two */* tokens?
    I'm not exactly sure, but it might only consider what the values are when the spell resolves?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  5. #5
    Hymn-Slinging Mod
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    3,303

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Apparently (and not shockingly) they made a mistake, the Water Gun Balloon card is not Eternal Legal:
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  6. #6

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Death's Shadow isn't actually */*, so won't need clarification. Anything that is */* has an ability that sets the power and toughness, and both the tokens would have the same ability, which I think would override the halving.

    And I was going to say about pink...

  7. #7
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,546

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Wheels can't fall off if they were never on
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  8. #8
    Hymn-Slinging Mod
    H's Avatar
    Join Date

    Sep 2008
    Location

    The U-easy-anna
    Posts

    3,303

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    Death's Shadow isn't actually */*, so won't need clarification. Anything that is */* has an ability that sets the power and toughness, and both the tokens would have the same ability, which I think would override the halving.
    You might be right there, those cases have always confused me, honestly.

    Quote Originally Posted by PJim View Post
    And I was going to say about pink...
    Yeah, I should have seen that off the bat, but my brain saw "token" and immediately stopped reading.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

  9. #9
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,351

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    I was too irritated by the Teddy creature type to notice the pink. Besides, who normally gives a shit about the color of a token?

  10. #10
    Site Contributor
    thecrav's Avatar
    Join Date

    Dec 2010
    Location

    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts

    1,097

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    What a shit show. Without reading the text on the card, the difference between legal and not legal is a 1/4" symbol at the bottom of the card that we'd previously been conditioned to ignore (and which has, many times, not been present when intended).

    Not legal vs legal vs legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

  11. #11
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,351

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by thecrav View Post
    What a shit show. Without reading the text on the card, the difference between legal and not legal is a 1/4" symbol at the bottom of the card that we'd previously been conditioned to ignore (and which has, many times, not been present when intended).
    Agreed. And it also ignores the elephant in the room - people don't want other people to play illegal cards - even in casual formats. Silver-boarded cards may be black-bordered now, but people will still tell you to fuck off if you try to play them.

  12. #12

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Oh nice, I've been wondering when the weekly middle finger from WotC was coming.

    Can't wait for the u-turn after people beat each other up at commander rounds over this.

  13. #13

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Oh nice, I've been wondering when the weekly middle finger from WotC was coming.

    Can't wait for the u-turn after people beat each other up at commander rounds over this.
    No, they'll just say "rule 0" and just handwave format management as usual.

  14. #14

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    No, they'll just say "rule 0" and just handwave format management as usual.
    "Everyone who plays acorn cards gets it in the nuts"?

    Community management never works out in the long run.
    However wizzards can't keep from fucking it up either.
    What a clown world.

  15. #15

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    I don't see why they can't put silver border and black border in the same pack.
    Like they already did

  16. #16

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I don't see why they can't put silver border and black border in the same pack.
    Like they already did
    That would probably require 2 separate sheets for every rarity which they can't be bothered with.
    They would also manage to screw it up somehow, I'm rather sure.

  17. #17

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    That would probably require 2 separate sheets for every rarity which they can't be bothered with.
    They would also manage to screw it up somehow, I'm rather sure.
    Counterpoint: does it?
    Are you telling me it's not possible to put black and silver borders on the same sheet?
    And before you answer remember Steamflogger Boss

  18. #18

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Counterpoint: does it?
    Are you telling me it's not possible to put black and silver borders on the same sheet?
    And before you answer remember Steamflogger Boss
    Was he on the same sheet though?

    Technically, it should be obviously possible but wizards being wizards.....

    There were also cases of misprints in the past where the cards where just blank with a black border.

    Who knows?

    Still doesn't change the fact that it's stupid as hell.

    Probably easy as hell to manipulate the little safety emblem thingies.

  19. #19

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Well boss was the only black bordered card in the set so it had to be on SOME sheet....

  20. #20

    Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Well boss was the only black bordered card in the set so it had to be on SOME sheet....
    After some googling I found this:

    Steamflogger boss has 1/121 chance to replace the land in an unstable booster. So the odds for getting that, and having it be foil is whatever the chance for foil is * 1/121 I'd belive it's somewhere between 1/1000 or 1/500.
    I guess it was on the basic sheet which would be still weird as they were borderless.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)