Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Unfinity - black-bordered Un-Set, partially Eternal-legal

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I kind of doubt it, on the stream today, MaRo said something to the effect of that card ending up with the Acorn because it did "crazy things in Legacy" or something like that.
    If WotC actually gave a single shit about Legacy, they would have updated the ban list a long time ago.

Besides, Maro is absolutely clueless about Legacy, so any comment about it from him has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    If WotC actually gave a single shit about Legacy, they would have updated the ban list a long time ago.

Besides, Maro is absolutely clueless about Legacy, so any comment about it from him has to be taken with a grain of salt.
    IDK, t1: Urza tower, t2, crack my fetch, tap tower for 3 to pay for it and have 2 mana left over seems like the kind of thing that shouldn't be in any format.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

I mean, I agree and I agree. Just saying what he said. But, it doesn't seem far-fetched to me that they originally had the card down to be Eternal-legal, did some tiny amount of testing (or theory crafting) and just decided it was "too good."

The fact that they even bothered to look at it though, I guess is a minorly good sign. But as minor as could be, really.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Whoshim View Post
    Is Magar of the Magic Strings the first to make a face-down card on the battlefield not a 2/2, or am I forgetting a card or cards?
    There's Illusionary Mask which got changed a bunch of times. I'm not sure whether you want to count it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There's Illusionary Mask which got changed a bunch of times. I'm not sure whether you want to count it or not.
    I am guessing they changed the online version's 0/1 creature to 2/2 in the oracle text to keep things in line with other face down cards. However, now that this new card makes face down 3/3s, should Illusionary Mask be changed to making 0/1 face down creatures?

I am guessing they changed the online version's 0/1 creature to 2/2 in the oracle text to keep things in line with other face down cards. However, now that this new card makes face down 3/3s, should Illusionary Mask be changed to making 0/1 face down creatures?
    I doubt it. The rules already allow for face down X/Ys they just default to 2/2 and if there's one thing mask doesn't need it's more text

This seems like it has potential in storm decks:

Pair o' Dice Lost

Instant

Roll two six-sided dice. Return any number of cards with total mana value X or less from your graveyard to your hand, where X is the total of those results. Exile Pair o’ Dice Lost.
    Even a minimum roll of 2 could pull multiple mana rocks and Infernal Tutor, and ~97% of the time it rolls 3 or higher and can also return a 1 cost ritual.

Edit: It also doesn't target, so it can retrieve cards that entered the GY after it was put on the stack. In practice, it's probably a bad Ill-Gotten Gains, but it does have some potential advantages over that.

I'm kind of shocked that the two cards that might see Legacy play from Unfinity aren't really being discussed here:

Comet stands a very good chance to go infinite with any sort of card that manipulates die rolls. The Goblin is guaranteed minimum 4 mana generation given deck construction rules (Bring 10, get 3 at random), can be up to six, and combos extrordinarily well with blink and vial.

Maybe I'm misreading the goblin, but it looks pretty weak to me, basically a Priest of Urabrask? It only counts the one sticker that you put with that instance of the ability, so no combo with blink... And I don't know much about the sticker sheets - are there actually stickers with all 6 vowels? Or even enough sheets with stickers that have 4 or more? And you need a new name sticker with enough vowels for each of these Goblin that you play...

Quote Originally Posted by snugar_i View Post
    Maybe I'm misreading the goblin, but it looks pretty weak to me, basically a Priest of Urabrask? It only counts the one sticker that you put with that instance of the ability, so no combo with blink... And I don't know much about the sticker sheets - are there actually stickers with all 6 vowels? Or even enough sheets with stickers that have 4 or more? And you need a new name sticker with enough vowels for each of these Goblin that you play...
    https://twitter.com/xJCloud/status/1...qJ4n5dPkzmmEEw
    This tweet says that unlike priest this guy has a 70% chance of 5 mana which is +2. 30% of +3 and 6 mana.
    So a 2/2 Seething Song.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    https://twitter.com/xJCloud/status/1...qJ4n5dPkzmmEEw
    This tweet says that unlike priest this guy has a 70% chance of 5 mana which is +2. 30% of +3 and 6 mana.
    So a 2/2 Seething Song.
    It's a 2/2 Seething Song that can be Vialed into Muxus or something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

Comet stands a very good chance to go infinite with any sort of card that manipulates die rolls.
    [EDIT: This is incorrect because rolling a 6 gives +1, but rolling 4 or 5 give -2. So the chance has to be less than 1/3 rather than less than 1/2.]
    The chance not to get 6 with no Barbarian Class is 5/6, with one, it's 25/36, with two, it's 125/216, and with three it's 625/1296 (which is barely under 50%).

I guess you could try putting it into a deck with Delina, Wild Mage and Pixie Guide, but I don't think the dice manipulation that's available is strong enough to make it legacy viable.

[EDIT: I misread the card, and you have to roll 6 2/3 rather than 1/2 of the time, so it takes 6 of the boosters, rather than 3 to have a non-zero chance of going infinite.

0: 5/6
    1: 25/36
    2: 125/216
    3: 625/1296 (just under 1/2)
    4: 3125/7776
    5: 15625/46656 (this is just a hair over 1/3, so the expectation to go infinite is still 0.)
    6:78125/279936

The chance to go infinite is different from the chance to do 20 damage in a turn, but I'm a bit too lazy to work it through right now.
    ]
    Last edited by rufus; 09-29-2022 at 06:11 AM.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

This should be a +4/+4 for most creatures? Does Infect need another pump like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Does this work:
    Slight Malfunction

Sorcery

Choose one —

* Destroy target artifact.

* Roll a six-side die. When you do, Slight Malfunction deals 1 damage to each of up to X target creatures, where X is the result.
    The die roll to determine the number of targets is during resolution resolution, but targets have to be selected before that.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Does this work:

The number of targets is determined during resolution, but targets have to be selected before that.
    There are a few of these kind of templates recently.
    As far as I understand the dice result triggers the 2nd part as independent trigger and not as spell.
    The "when you do" is the key wording creating the new trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

This should be a +4/+4 for most creatures? Does Infect need another pump like this?
    Now the Phyrexian type update finally does something :-)
    Glistener Elf: Creature — Phyrexian Elf Warrior = +4/+4
    Blighted Agent: Creature — Phyrexian Human Rogue = +4/+4
    Inkmoth Nexus: Land Artifact Creature — Phyrexian Blinkmoth = +5/+5

Is there any way to make a Changeling not be a Brushwagg (while still retaining the other creature types)?

Is there any way to make a Changeling not be a Brushwagg (while still retaining the other creature types)?
    Yes:
    There's cards that give a creature changeling
    Werewolf Pack Leader has an ability which makes it not a human.
    Artificial Evolution can make that instead say "not a Brushwagg"
    So when you make the Pack Leader every type, cast evolution to change its ability, then activate that ability to make it not a brushwagg. Tada.

Thanks! That is a lot of hoops to jump through, but it is nice to know that the potential exists.

Is there a single document that goes over the rules for stickers, attractions and other rules stuff they introduced with this set somewhere, or are we supposed to piece it together from a bunch of articles?

Thread Information