Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jelly, Eggs and Bacon

Re: Jelly, Eggs and Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Interesting vid. Thanks for posting. I like Bryant's idea of Pattern of Rebirth. Forgot about that card. It has high synergy with the Nic Fit-Hulk plan.

I also agree with boarding in Veil + Carpet against blue control (boarding out card-disadvantage acceleration), boarding in Thoughtseize against combo, and using Assassin's Trophy instead of Wilt.

Actually, why doesn't the sideboard contain utility creatures when the combo engine uses creature tutors? Wouldn't it help if you could tutor for some answers?
    Agree on everything. I'm in love with nic fitesque combo decks, i've tried many by myself in the past years

May 2015
    Germany

Interesting vid. Thanks for posting. I like Bryant's idea of Pattern of Rebirth. Forgot about that card. It has high synergy with the Nic Fit-Hulk plan.

I also agree with boarding in Veil + Carpet against blue control (boarding out card-disadvantage acceleration), boarding in Thoughtseize against combo, and using Assassin's Trophy instead of Wilt.

Actually, why doesn't the sideboard contain utility creatures when the combo engine uses creature tutors? Wouldn't it help if you could tutor for some answers?

Edit: When I tested it, I didn't follow any SB guide. I boarded differently than your guide suggests. Bringing in Carpet + Veil together against blue decks was important, otherwise I'd be bottlenecked on green mana to cast Veil on the combo turn.
    Pattern of Rebirth was on my maybeboard list when I was first drafting the deck, but in my opinion it has one major flaw: It is vulnerable to creature removal, which means that the combo turn can be stopped by counter, graveyard hate, and creature removal (and other specific hate cards). With the current "tutor plan" we would at least dodge the creature removal in most cases. Is this fact worth the additional effort of ramping to 7+ mana ... I do not know. However, one thing that always comes to my mind when thinking about "cheating" Hulk into play is the fact, that there are better creatures (Griselbrand)to cheat into play, aka the "being the worse xy deck" argument. Most of the current "cheat into play" strategies are fully explored, for exmaple in Reanimtor, Show and Tell, Mono Red Sneak Attack, and so on. On top of that, and this is really not a strong argument but a factor for me, Pattern of Rebirth does not play well into the Aeve, Progenitor Ooze plan/lines, but this is exactly what fascinated me about the brew: It has 2 different lines to victory that use a similar setup (mana+tutors). By going full Hulk we could definitly drop Aeve and maybe be a better Hulk deck in general.

Regarding utility creatures, I was toying around with Xantid Swarm, Allosaurus Shepherd and Foundation Breaker, but I was not convinced by the idea of having this tutorable creature suite. Even more so since we want to use the tutors to get Hulk or Aeve, and most cards we want to use these sideboard cards against block our tutors anyway. I could oversee some amazing (green) creatures here, but I wanted to start with the "solid" answers for now.
    Do you have further suggestions for such creatures?

The sibeboard guide is a mess which is why I have not included it into the primer yet. I guess this happens when you only theorize about a deck and not actually play it that often. The main idea behind the "sparse" boarding was the assumption that the deck needed all the pieces to function, but after reading your report and answers and watching Bryant's video I was definitly proven wrong, but I was happy to learn a lot :)

Edit: I cannot write understandable sentences

I'm charmed by the possibily of playing a nic-fitesque combo, and i was thinking something different, slower but more consistent?
    Green Sun's Zenith Is really cool when you can use it in both ways, to fix problems or to find the combo piece.

Titania+Sakeeper is also a combo you can grab with Hulk
    I don't see the point of playing pattern of rebirth above NO if all we are searching for are green creatures (and we still need a sac outlet) and if we are not planning on emrakul as alt-wincon

Last edited by Memories of the Time; 01-21-2022 at 07:42 AM.

Sep 2011

I tested out a few games with a similar version (without red, for more stable mana).

//Green Tutors: 12
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Natural Order

//Creatures: 20
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    1 Carrion Feeder
    1 Cauldron Familiar
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Fauna Shaman
    1 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Body Double
    1 Reveillark
    1 Protean Hulk
    1 Progenitus

//Spells: 10
    4 Culling the Weak
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize

//Lands: 19
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Prismatic Vista
    2 Bayou
    3 Forest
    3 Swamp
    1 Phyrexian Tower
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Endurance
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Reclamation Sage
    1 Questing Beast
    1 Aeve, Progenitor Ooze
    3 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Carpet of Flowers
    2 Thoughtseize
    1 City of Solitude

Allosaurus Shepherd was really good at ensuring most of your key spells aren't disrupted by blue counters or Chalice. Redundant copies make easy sacrifice fodder.

Depending on the matchup you can board out the Hulk combo into a grindier deck, or you can board in Aeve and Thoughtseizes to go even harder on combo.

The only thing is the Hulk combo feels actively worse than what the rest of the deck can do. I won more games off Progenitus and Titania. So is this just a worse version of Elves or NOFit? Or maybe you want a more compact Hulk combo like Breakfast.

Edit: Titania -> return green fetch -> Dryad Arbor -> flashback Therapy (without passing priority) is a great way to make 3 5/3s out of nowhere while disrupting the opponent
    Last edited by FTW; 01-21-2022 at 02:40 PM.

May 2015
    Germany

Thank you @FTW for creating a new thread, as you picked up correctly, this is not the direction I want to go with Jelly, Eggs and Bacon. However, this does not mean that I am not curious to explore in that direction :)
    I am not sure if the name is intented to be ironical since Jelly, Eggs and Bacon is such a weird name, but I think it is funny nonetheless

Edit: I found an interessting hulk package that might replace the current one.
    Body Double + Vesperlark + Heart-Piercer Manticore + x Carrion Feeder

1.) Get Body Double and Carrion Feeder from Hulk trigger to get another Hulk trigger.
    2.) Get Vesperlark and up to 3 more Carrion Feeder to loop Body Double infinitely and grow all Carrion Feeders.
    3.) Let Body Double enter as Hulk to get Heart-Piercer Manticore for the win.

The benifit of this package compared to the current one is, that it is resistant to one or more spot removals, whereas the other package had to rely on Body Snatcher.
    The Snatcher has some more applications of course, but could be cut when using the Manticore package to make room for a card that contributes more towards consistancy.
    It also plays similar to the current package when drawing one or more combo pieces. Even with 2 of 3 of the non-Feeder cards in hand you could theoretically win by discarding them to LED for example, with the exception of Body Double + Reveillark in hand.
    Last edited by eatbasics; 01-22-2022 at 06:57 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by eatbasics View Post
    Eggs and Bacon is such a weird name, but I think it is funny nonetheless
    I was just thinking about your Eggs and Bacon name (no more Jelly without Ooze) and then about Lumberjack Breakfasts. Lumberjack Breakfasts contain multiple meats (multiple creature combos in the deck). The deck even had Orcish Lumberjack and Cephalid Breakfast (Cephalid Illusionist+Nomads en-Kor combo), so building off the Lumberjack Breakfast theme was too good to pass up. I'm an older player and enjoyed those old breakfast-themed combos (Trix, Fruity Pebbles, Coco Puffs, Cheeri0s).

That looks good. You could do the same thing with a Reveillark chain too

Hulk -> Body Double (Hulk) + Carrion Feeder -> Lark + Carrion Feeder #2 -> return Body Double (Lark) + Feeder/anything -> loop Body Double (Lark) for 2 100/100 Carrion Feeders -> return Body Double (Hulk) -> Manticore

You can only get 2 Carrion Feeders instead of 3, but that still protects you at all points from spot removal on Carrion Feeder breaking the combo. Vesperlark lets you get a 3rd Carrion Feeder, but it also can't return other pieces from the graveyard (only itself).

May 2015
    Germany

That looks good. You could do the same thing with a Reveillark chain too

Hulk -> Body Double (Hulk) + Carrion Feeder -> Lark + Carrion Feeder #2 -> return Body Double (Lark) + Feeder/anything -> loop Body Double (Lark) for 2 100/100 Carrion Feeders -> return Body Double (Hulk) -> Manticore

You can only get 2 Carrion Feeders instead of 3, but that still protects you at all points from spot removal on Carrion Feeder breaking the combo. Vesperlark lets you get a 3rd Carrion Feeder, but it also can't return other pieces from the graveyard (only itself).
    Yes, Reveillark line gets 2x Carrion Feeder into play, but Vesperlark gets up to 4x Carrion Feeder into play, making it very unlikely to be blown out by spot removal. 2 spot removal however, is more likely. Anyway, the hulk package is not the major issue of the deck, but it is cool to make progress on that front as well

May I ask your opinion on Abundant Harvest again? I kind of like how it changes Traverse the Ulvenwald play patterns. If you have both in hand you can either use Harvest for getting lands if necessary or Traverse for lands if you have additional tutors and Harvest can then go and find a non-land card. I know that you also do not like Traverse, but the two make an interesting couple, which I included them in my "testing ..." list in the primer.

Edit: I am also reconsidering Necromancy as a 2-3 off

Yes, Reveillark line gets 2x Carrion Feeder into play, but Vesperlark gets up to 4x Carrion Feeder into play, making it very unlikely to be blown out by spot removal. 2 spot removal however, is more likely. Anyway, the hulk package is not the major issue of the deck, but it is cool to make progress on that front as well

May I ask your opinion on Abundant Harvest again? I kind of like how it changes Traverse the Ulvenwald play patterns. If you have both in hand you can either use Harvest for getting lands if necessary or Traverse for lands if you have additional tutors and Harvest can then go and find a non-land card. I know that you also do not like Traverse, but the two make an interesting couple, which I included them in my "testing ..." list in the primer.

Edit: I am also reconsidering Necromancy as a 2-3 off
    Isn't finding pieces of the hulk combo a major problem of Harvest in this deck?

Sep 2011

Yes, Reveillark line gets 2x Carrion Feeder into play, but Vesperlark gets up to 4x Carrion Feeder into play
    Just 3x Carrion Feeder, right? But yes, that is better protection against double removal.

It's bad. See Bryant Cook's comments on it too.

Abundant Harvest can't be relied on to find the card you need. It's more likely to get the wrong non-land card than what you need to go off. Instead of paying G to cycle into a random card, you could just have another random card in hand instead. Or something useful.

A hand with mana but 0 Pact 0 Traverse 1 Abundant Harvest (and no Ooze or Hulk) is a mulligan. If that card was any other tutor instead (Wishclaw Talisman, Diabolic Intent, Living Wish) it wouldn't be a mulligan because you could find the card you need consistently. Even a regular cantrip (Brainstorm, Ponder) could be OK there. Abundant Harvest does a bad job of fixing hands on its own.

The "combo" with Traverse is cute but would be even better if Abundant Harvest was any other tutor or cantrip.

Dec 2017
    Paris, France

If you're going to play bad cards (Body Double), consider Volrath's Shapeshifter to get more out of your first trigger. In the earliest versions of Flashless Hulk my usual line would look like Volrath's Shapeshifter, Grand Abolisher and any repeatable free sacrifice ability.

May 2015
    Germany

Just 3x Carrion Feeder, right? But yes, that is better protection against double removal.
    You have to get 1x Carrion Feeder together with Body Double on the initial Protean Hulk trigger, and on the Double one you can get 3 more Feeder with Vesperlark = 4x Feeder :)

It's bad. See Bryant Cook's comments on it too.

Abundant Harvest can't be relied on to find the card you need. It's more likely to get the wrong non-land card than what you need to go off. Instead of paying G to cycle into a random card, you could just have another random card in hand instead. Or something useful.

A hand with mana but 0 Pact 0 Traverse 1 Abundant Harvest (and no Ooze or Hulk) is a mulligan. If that card was any other tutor instead (Wishclaw Talisman, Diabolic Intent, Living Wish) it wouldn't be a mulligan because you could find the card you need consistently. Even a regular cantrip (Brainstorm, Ponder) could be OK there. Abundant Harvest does a bad job of fixing hands on its own.

The "combo" with Traverse is cute but would be even better if Abundant Harvest was any other tutor or cantrip.
    Thanks for explaining that again!

Do you think that we need more than 8 tutors + 1 Hulk + 1 Aeve? I mean, even if you only consider 8 tutors + Hulk, it is a 70% chance to have at least 1 of them in your opening hand.
    With increasing the tutor count we could end up with more hands that have 2+ tutors which could very well also end in a mulligan, even thought it is still better than no tutors at all.
    I also see that every hand without Hulk or tutor should probably be a mulligan, even if it has Abundant Harvest in it, so we still have a theoretical 30% mulligan rate, which is not that exciting I guess.
    Just a quick mind experiment: If we have 2 lands and no tutors or Hulk in the starting hand, Harvest has a ~22% chance of finding business, which is not that great either I guess. (53 cards remain in deck - 12 lands -> 9 tutors / 41 non-land cards in deck = ~21.9%)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBacon View Post
    If you're going to play bad cards (Body Double), consider Volrath's Shapeshifter to get more out of your first trigger. In the earliest versions of Flashless Hulk my usual line would look like Volrath's Shapeshifter, Grand Abolisher and any repeatable free sacrifice ability.
    Thanks for the input! Volrath's Shapeshifter is definitely an interesting choice. May I ask how the whole Hulk package looked like?

Grand Abolisher is nice and I had it in the maybeboard for a long time (using Body Snatcher as enabler), but the opponent can still play around it by removing hulk from graveyard in response to the initial trigger (even with Shapeshifter). If the intention of Abolisher is to nullify spot removal, I think the current package with Heart-Piercer Manticore is doing fine. Also, I think putting more uncastable cards into the deck is probably worse than actual protection/disruption.

Sep 2011

Do you think that we need more than 8 tutors + 1 Hulk + 1 Aeve? I mean, even if you only consider 8 tutors + Hulk, it is a 70% chance to have at least 1 of them in your opening hand.
    Your deck, up to you. >30% mulligan rate doesn't seem great though.

Decks like ANT and TES may run 8 tutors, but they also have blue cantrips (Brainstorm and Ponder), so overall they have a much higher chance of being able to find the engine. Instead of more tutors you could run card selection. However Abundant Harvest is not really card selection, it's a random draw, not much better than Street Wraith. You could consider more tutors or a better card selection tool than Abundant Harvest.

With increasing the tutor count we could end up with more hands that have 2+ tutors which could very well also end in a mulligan, even thought it is still better than no tutors at all.
    Is 2 tutors a mulligan? I don't know that that's true. A 2 tutor hand is much better through discard or counter on your 1st tutor. You could also use 1 tutor to find a support spell (answer to hate, acceleration) instead of Hulk/Ooze. But if you have 0 tutors then you can't even try to go off.

May 2015
    Germany

Brief update:
    I am evaluating if Squandered Resources could be a possible addition to the deck.

• It can be played a priori to the combo turn
    • Shines with extra lands from Veteran Explorer upgrading the explorer from a Rite of Flame-ish mana gain to a more powerful ramp
    • Fixes green mana shortage (1 Forest = 2 green mana)
    • It is an additional card type for Traverse the Ulvenwald in Lion's Eye Diamond lines and adds lands to the graveyard if no fetchland was used previously

Sep 2011

Carpet of Flowers (SB) and Eladamri's Vineyard probably do that better.

Squandered Resources walks hard into losing to Force of Will. You get mana, but if you get disrupted there is no 2nd chance because you have no resources left. (spoiler: they got squandered)

Squandered Resources walks hard into losing to Force of Will. You get mana, but if you get disrupted there is no 2nd chance because you have no resources left.
    I second vineyard. Great card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2015
    Germany

Squandered Resources walks hard into losing to Force of Will. You get mana, but if you get disrupted there is no 2nd chance because you have no resources left. (spoiler: they got squandered)
    By "...probably do that better" you mean fixing green? If so, you are right.

The deck walks hard into losing to FoW anyway nah, but seriously, Squandered Resources is mainly interesting for me in combination with Explorer.
    T2 with 2 lands in play Squandered Resources would be mana neutral if you go off this turn, but if you add Explorer into the mix it actually adds +2 for every Explorer sacrificed in addition to the 2 mana from the lands.
    For example T2 Squandered Resources, Veteran Explorer, Cabal Therapy would result in 4 mana if you play all three cards in the same turn, making it "just" a Dark Ritual.
    In the long run, the "stored value/mana" of Squandered Resources increases, and in the above example, if you toss in Cull the Weak instead of Therapy we arrive at 8 mana if we play all cards the same turn, but 10+ mana if you wait one more turn.
    Also, there are these awkward hands with 2 or more tutors that could get multiple Explorers with Carrion Feeder in play, but they would only net 1 or 0 mana. With Squandered Resources this would change, turning them into Dark Ritual-ish mana gain.

This "tech" might open the deck up for 2-mana tutors such as Living Wish, because it has the potential to generate much more mana.

Sep 2011

By "...probably do that better" you mean fixing green? If so, you are right.
    And all the other things. Fixing green. General ramp. Stored value/mana. Vineyard gives you more mana overall and without convoluted combos.

From testing, the bottleneck is green mana. The deck already has easy black mana and few uses for it. Black is usually used for colorless costs because you don't need much black to go off. For example, Hulk + Carrion is often paid with BBBBBBGG (for 5GG + B). But the colorless doesn't have to be all black mana. You could make the same play with BGGGGGGG or anything in between. Traverse for Ooze can be paid with GGGGGG or BBBGGG or anything in between. There are uses for more green mana.

GG casts Living Wish for free. It helps hardcast SB Endurance or play around Daze. So many things.

Culling the Weak + Veteran Explorer = BBBBGG (if you get 2 Forests) or BBBBBG (if you get Forest + Swamp). That's not enough mana for either Hulk or Ooze. No win is possible with that mana. Pass the turn and wait. But with T1 Vineyard into T2 Culling Explorer, you would have BBBBGGGG! That's just enough mana to allow:
    Pact for Hulk & Carrion
    Pact for Ooze
    Traverse for Hulk
    Traverse for Ooze
    All 4 lines are possible on turn 2 with that mana!

Squandered Resources's synergy with Explorer is both less explosive and less long-turn stable mana. It's also terribad with Ooze+Pact lines.

May 2015
    Germany

And all the other things. Fixing green. General ramp. Stored value/mana. Vineyard gives you more mana overall and without convoluted combos.

From testing, the bottleneck is green mana. The deck already has easy black mana and few uses for it. Black is usually used for colorless costs because you don't need much black to go off. For example, Hulk + Carrion is often paid with BBBBBBGG (for 5GG + B). But the colorless doesn't have to be all black mana. You could make the same play with BGGGGGGG or anything in between. Traverse for Ooze can be paid with GGGGGG or BBBGGG or anything in between. There are uses for more green mana.

GG casts Living Wish for free. It helps hardcast SB Endurance or play around Daze. So many things.

Culling the Weak + Veteran Explorer = BBBBGG (if you get 2 Forests) or BBBBBG (if you get Forest + Swamp). That's not enough mana for either Hulk or Ooze. No win is possible with that mana. Pass the turn and wait. But with T1 Vineyard into T2 Culling Explorer, you would have BBBBGGGG! That's just enough mana to allow:
    Pact for Hulk & Carrion
    Pact for Ooze
    Traverse for Hulk
    Traverse for Ooze
    All 4 lines are possible on turn 2 with that mana!

Squandered Resources's synergy with Explorer is both less explosive and less long-turn stable mana. It's also terribad with Ooze+Pact lines.
    I can see the benefits of Eladamri's Vineyard and it looks great on paper. I am still hesitant because of the downside of giving your opponent GG before you can do anything with the mana. Squandered Resources at least has an impact the turn it enters the battlefield, drawing Vineyard of the top feels a little bit clunky.
    Horror scenarios: Opponents using GG to cast Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath T1, put a land into play and Prismatic Ending the Vineyard or use GG to cast Show and Tell for the win.

May 2015
    Germany

Some updates to the list:

• Returned to the Cauldron Familiar hulk package because it is better with other recent changes to the list (see below).
    • I trimmed down to 1 Carrion Feeder and 1 Viscera Seer. Both sacrifice outlets were bad when drawn, even more so in multiples. At best it "just" ramps with Veteran Explorer or acts as sacrifice fodder, at worst it was a 1/1 for B.
    • Instead I added Village Rites which is great with Veteran Explorer, especially if you do not have Culling the Weak in hand, and adds velocity to the deck. Usually we want to keep the mana one-time Cabal Therapy sacrifice effect for the Hulk if possible. This was one reason to have Cauldron Familiar back in the deck instead of Heart-piercer Manticore because we can now cycle the small cat to the rites, but the big cat does not like that.
    • In this regard I added Dryad Arbor to increase sacrifice fodder that is fetch and tutor-able.
    • Removed Abundant Harvest. It was not bad, but not really great either.

May 2015
    Germany

For those of you who are still interested in the deck or want to contribute, I currently have 3 open points: 1. Hulk package considerations, 2. Decklist updates, 3. Sideboard discussion.

1. Hulk package considerations

So far I am happy with the "old" Cauldron Familiar package, but there is a thing that crossed my mind while looking at older Modern Bubble Hulk decklists.
    They used Eye Twitch with Thassa's Oracle in the same framework like Familiar, which is Body Double + Reveilark + Carrion Feeder.
    The combo is weak to the new scourge in the format, Hullbreacher decks, but is interesting since we would have to only add 2 cards to have an additional/alternative Hulk package to use, which is Thassa's Oracle + Cephalid Illusionist + Nomads en-Kor.

This would incorporate the non-graveyard reliant Hulk kill, while also mitigating drawing one of the cards from this package since the Eye Twitch kill is still online.

The downside is that we have more "dead" cards.

Still unsure if it is worth it since the deck is already pretty cramped.

2. Decklist updates

I love Village Rites in the deck, it helps with velocity and plays well with Veteran Explorer when you want to play it before the combo turn as pseudo protection to cards like Swords to Plowshare. Also, it is another instant sacrifice effect that you can use if you put Hulk into play with the help of Summoner's Pact but you do not have any mana left, so you have to sacrifice Hulk during your upkeep.

I trimmed Dark Ritual down from 4 to 3 while adding Thoughtseize up from 2 to 3. Ritual is one of the weakest mana cards in the deck with not much synergy. On the other hand, the deck seems to be living from disruptive hands in a decent portion of its games to buy time during the first turns or fight through countermagic. Therefore the discard increase.

Sideboard discussion

The sideboard is currently hot garbage and a chaotic mess ... Carpet of Flowers seems to be amazing, however, since you kind of force your opponent to grab more Islands with Veteran Explorer. All other cards are questionable ... Thus, I would be grateful if someone could give me some input on the sideboard :)

Thread Information