Thread: BG Witherbloom Depths

BG Witherbloom Depths

Hi everyone,
    I barely get to play much nowadays, but I just learned about the chain of smog and witherbloom apprentice combo. Being that it's in B/G I thought it would go great in a deck with dark depths since that combo is also traditionally based in the same colors. The fact that they both use creatures as part of their respective combos also helps for cards like worldly tutor, once upon a time, adventurous impulse, and the newer track down - this being 2 mana can be detrimental to the deck in terms of speed, but I love the ability to keep cards on top that aren't lands or creatures; if only it was 1 mana...
    I don't like GSZ only because I can't tutor out a hexmage, but I tried mirri's guile. Card selection is key, but if the top 3 cards are not what you need and you can't crack a fetch or crop rotate to shuffle, you can easily lose to bad top dexk.
    Other support I have included is 4 thoughtseizes and 4 duress minimum. I don't like iok because it doesn't hit jtms, fow, karns, omnipotence, sneak attack, etc.
    I don't have a lot of room for removal, I would like to fit in at least 3 fatal push, but I usually have to cut them while trying out different lists. I always include at least 3 assassin's trophy, they are a great catch all to any spot removal and they can target a wasteland that I can force them to crack and target my depths before comboing off and they won't get a land in turn as it's ceased to exist while trophy is still on the stack.

I don't have a solid list to present as I'm constantly trying out different cards and numbers, but I am open to suggestions of independent cards and/or full lists.
    If anyone wants to help me brainstorm, I would surely appreciate it.

In testing, I'm finding it difficult to find support cards that are cohesive for both strategies. I really like the delirium effect of traverse the ulvenwald, but it's really difficult to get that active in the first few turns. Some variants I've tried out are more control based while others are more combo centric. I can't seem to settle on a consistent list in either extreme or anywhere in the middle...

Lastly - UNBAN DEATHRITE SHAMAN!!!

Sep 2011

Re: BG Witherbloom Depths

Living Wish and Once Upon A Time both seem like good cards here, finding any combo piece.

I guess the problem is it would be a slower version of GB Turbo Depths. That deck can already kill on Turn 2-3, so how much do you get out of running random Witherbloom Apprentice and Chain of Smog in the deck. Depths is already Tier 1. The Witherbloom cards would make the Depths strategy worse.

Thread Information