Thread: Tell me I'm crazy (and save me some time)

Hybrid View

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Tell me I'm crazy (and save me some time)

I played my very first games of Modern last night. I took Enchantress to a small Monday Night Modern tourney in my corner of the world. It was fun and the local meta was pretty aggro.
    Back in the day I brought Rabid Wombat to smash the local meta (to mixed results). I'm talking 15 years back when Goblins was tier 1.
    Any chance I can port a basic Wombat list to Modern standards?
    I'm looking at something simple like:

4 Secluded Steppe
    16 Plains

4 Eternal Dragon

4 Abeyance
    4 Swords To Plowshares
    4 Wing Shards
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Renewed Faith
    3 Decree of Justice
    3 Rune of Protection: Red
    3 Gilded Light
    4 Runed Halo
    4 Angelsong

The obvious card DQs are Chant and Decree (Swords turning into Path, Abeyance turning into Silence, Eternal Dragon turning into that MH2 Dragon).
    We now have Planeswalkers to add wincons, which is pretty cool. I like the idea of cycling with Abandoned Sarcophagus (probably dumb). I have no idea how Modern works anyway and I may assuming that the format is Legacy for kids with helmets...
    But is there even a chance that a modern (pun intended) version of this deck is worth any brain power?
    Spoiler alert, I have the deck sleeved up in my mind so I'll probably build something to play next week so I can act smarter than everyone else
    Thanks for any input.

Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Re: Tell me I'm crazy (and save me some time)

You need to be able to beat burn, Lurrus recursion, DRC value, 4/4s with counter backup, Murktide, Ragavan, Urza's Saga etc. etc. Modern is quite fast with resilient decks.
    I really hope you can at least brew a tier 2 deck, I would love to sleeve up mono white. And if it's not Quinn, it might as well be Wombat.

Urza's Saga might be good here. And it would be interesting to go without planeswalkers in order to dodge Force of Negation.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I wasn't able to go to Modern Monday because of a Covid scare. I did sleeve up a deck and was fairly confident I would have played it.

4x Bandage
    4x Path to Exile
    4x Silence
    4x Angelsong
    3x Gilded Light
    4x Renewed Faith
    4x Wing Shards
    1x Starnheim Unleashed
    2x Wrath of God
    2x Doomskar
    4x Solitude
    3x Timeless Dragon
    1x Pristine Angel

1x Field of Ruin
    3x Ghost Quarter
    16x Plains

I wish I had Doomskar 15 years ago. Banking a wrath is pretty sweet. I also like Starnheim Unleashed; it's no Decree of Justice but late game it will make a bunch of Angels. Also thinking about changing the ratio of Field of Ruin and Ghost Quarter.
    I don't have a definite sideboard. I was just going to bring the standard stuff like Rest in Peace and Ghostly Prison and Cast Out. Also trying to make Shining Shoal work. Oh the memories...
    I am also debating trying the escape Elspeth. With the graveyard hate, this may not quite work.
    There's always next week.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I made it to Monday Modern this week, ready to disrespect this format with extreme prejudice. I went with the list in the previous post and totally forgot to bring my Enchantress deck, which has my graveyard SB hate. Oops.
    First round was against a dude playing Murktide. I commenced to exile all of his threats and failed to come up with a wincon of my own. Out of the 20 land in the deck, I drew about 16 of that over the course of game 1. Game two was a bit of the same. Highlights include my opponent trying to counter Wing Shards (twice) with storm triggers on the stack. He also bounced a creature of his own with Brazen Borrower (which I didn't catch) at a key moment which swung the game in his favor. Needless to say, in typical Wombat style the game went to turns and I couldn't stop lethal on turn 3.
    Game two was against Through the Breach/ Emrakul. Game one he breached Emrakul turn 5. Game two had him pulling Emerakul around turn 6, which I was able to Wing Shards. I rebuilt and (surprise, surprise) we went to time. I was able to play a Starnhiem Unleashed for 3 angels and won on turn 2.
    Third round I got the bye. Record of 1-1-1 was acceptable.
    All's said, my mission was successful. People were confused. No one knew what the f Bandage is. Curse words were spoken after creatures were repeatedly destroyed. Games went to time.
    But I'll be going back to Enchantress next week.

Mar 2009
    Zurich

Amazing haha!
    What cards underperformed? Were the Solitudes necessary? They are card disadvantage, after all.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

I must have hardcast Solitude about 75% of the time. I treated the card as a creature foremost and pitch spell secondary.
    I don't know what it says about a deck that uses Solitude as a wincon...
    That said, I don't think it's a 4-of but I think it has a place in the deck.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

It's been a while and I needed something different from the Lotus Breach deck I've been bringing to Monday Modern. I was inspired by a Standard deck I played against on Arena that features The Restoration of Eiganjo and Reckoner Bankbuster. To my dismay, I discovered that I only own 1 Restoration.
    I threw this deck together:

2 Timeless Dragon

4 Bandage
    2 Silence
    3 Path to Exile
    4 Due Respect
    4 Renewed Faith
    4 Wing Shards
    3 Wrath of God
    1 Starnheim Unleashed
    1 Doomskar
    1 Farewell
    2 Touch the Spirit Realm
    1 The Restoration of Eiganjo
    1 Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis
    1 The Wandering Emperor
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    4 Reckoner Bankbuster

11 Plains
    1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    3 Field of Ruin
    3 Urza's Saga

SB

1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    4 Curtain of Light
    2 Aura of Silence
    4 Angelsong
    1 Hallowed Moonlight
    2 Silence
    1 Realm-Cloaked Giant

The first round was against a Death's shadow brew. He dropped a Lilly game one and I realized that I had no instant/sorcery speed PW kills. Oops. Anyway, thanks to the cantrips I was able to have plenty of cards to pitch to her +1 and I eventually killed her. Then he played another one. In the end I fought through Lilly #2 and a Death's shadow and beat him game one. Game two he sided in Bloodghast and went a little wide. I got rid of all his threats and beat him down with a couple Angels from Starnheim.
    Round two was against an Asmo-Food deck I am all to familiar with. Game one was relatively quick as he built up his artifact tokens and took infinite turns with Time Sieve. I didn't have too many answers in the SB, and game two ended with a rather large Construct clobbering me.
    Round three was against UR Delver/Murktide. Game one went long (as this deck is meant to do) as I removed his threats and he went down to three cards in his library before he ripped a couple Lightning bolts FTW. Game two went to turns after about 10 minutes. much like the first game, I took away his dudes and on turn 2 I had out an Angel token and zombie dragon after Elspeth helped bolster my life total. He was down to 8 life on turn 3 when he played Murktide to seal our fate. Game went to turns which brought back warm feelings of Wombat in 2006 going to time every round, and getting shit in the win column.
    Thoughts:
    Restoration looks like a good card in theory. I don't know how it works here because the one time I actually got to cast it, it got countered.
    Urza's Saga; I don't know about this. The issue us that is goes away. I needs my lands! I only used it to create a construct two or three times and that was usually to chump something. I also rarely had out more that two other artifacts to make the constructs a threat, anyway.
    Reckoner Bankbuster; I love this card. The draw is fantastic and when you can poop out a treasure and a creature, that is a decent effect on the board state. However, I don't know if it's a 4 of. I also need to get more creatures to crew the damn thing. Probably another Wandering Emperor.
    Touch of the Spirit Realm is probably going. Even though it's satisfying to touch my opponents creatures in inappropriate ways.
    I need some kind of PW removal, cut a Wrath of God, and when I get more Restorations I'll put some Seal of Cleansing in the SB. Maybe main considering my meta.
    Wing Shards again shines and may be one of my all-time favorites. Storm is so f'n good.
    Due Respect did some serious work, hosing dashing Ragavans left and right and drawing cards.
    Silence doesn't need to be main board.
    I also completely forgot about Solitude! Not sure where that fits...
    Another strength of the deck is that's it's pretty resilient to SB hate. I faced Blood Moon which took out Sagas, but that wasn't a huge deal. I also saw Leyline of the Void which made me rethink some things, but wasn't the kick in the balls my opponent thought it would be (that was round 1 that I won 2-0).
    Anyway, looking forward to play this next time. This deck made my day after coming down from the high of playing Naya Stompy at a Legacy tourney the day before.
    Thanks for reading.
    Suggestions welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    I played my very first games of Modern last night. I took Enchantress to a small Monday Night Modern tourney in my corner of the world. It was fun and the local meta was pretty aggro.
    Back in the day I brought Rabid Wombat to smash the local meta (to mixed results). I'm talking 15 years back when Goblins was tier 1.
    Any chance I can port a basic Wombat list to Modern standards?
    I'm looking at something simple like:

4 Secluded Steppe
    16 Plains

4 Eternal Dragon

4 Abeyance
    4 Swords To Plowshares
    4 Wing Shards
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Renewed Faith
    3 Decree of Justice
    3 Rune of Protection: Red
    3 Gilded Light
    4 Runed Halo
    4 Angelsong

The obvious card DQs are Chant and Decree (Swords turning into Path, Abeyance turning into, Eternal Dragon turning into that MH2 Dragon).
    We now have Planeswalkers to add wincons, which is pretty cool. I like the idea of cycling with Abandoned Sarcophagus (probably dumb). I have no idea how Modern works anyway and I may assuming that the format is Legacy for kids with helmets...
    But is there even a chance that a modern (pun intended) version of this deck is worth any brain power?
    Spoiler alert, I have the deck sleeved up in my mind so I'll probably build something to play next week so I can act smarter than everyone else
    Thanks for any input.

I'm afraid that a direct port of the deck may not be very effective in today's Modern meta.

Modern has evolved significantly since its inception, and the power level of the cards and decks available has increased substantially. The current meta is much faster and more aggressive than what you may be used to, with many decks looking to win the game by turn four or five.

Sep 2011

If you're still toying around with Modern Wombat, I would look at going up to

4 Timeless Dragon
    4 Solitude
    2-3 March of Otherworldly Light
    3-4 The One Ring

They're some of the best new monowhite control cards for either Legacy or Modern.

Timeless Dragon thins plains out of the deck like Flagstones (improving future draws) and then becomes a wincon, like your 4/4 angels.

Solitude/March give you the option for faster interaction against fast opponents (pitching some of the more conditional cards in hand), or later on you can just hardcast. This modality is very helpful for control to both stabilize early and also have late game action.

Then you need a card draw engine. The One Ring is strong. You may also like Staff of the Storyteller, which draws cards with tokens from Bankbuster, Saga, Timeless Dragon, Wandering Emperor, Elspeth...

There's still room to preserve the core of Wombat: Bandage, other cantrips, Wing Shards, Wrath/Doomskar

For example, based on your last build you could try something like this

//Lands: 22
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    2 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
    3 Field of Ruin
    11 Plains
    2 Emeria's Call

//Creatures: 12
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon
    4 Eagles of the North

//Spells: 18
    4 Bandage
    4 Due Respect
    4 Wing Shards
    2 Doomskar
    1 Farewell
    3 March of Otherworldly Light

//Artifacts: 4
    4 The One Ring

//Enchantments: 2
    2 Court of Grace

//Planeswalkers: 2
    2 The Wandering Emperor

//Sideboard:
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Hallowed Moonlight
    2 Celestial Purge
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Silence
    2 Cast Out
    1 Story Circle

Edit: Removed Staff. The One Ring is the best Modern-legal control draw engine, might as well play 4 copies.
    You could play Niveous Wisps instead of Bandage. Wisps actually stops Ragavan (the modern Goblin Lackey), while Bandage doesn't prevent enough damage. Wisps also stops bigger stuff like Murktide and Tarmogoyf. The downsize is Wisps does not cycle with 0 creatures in play, while Bandage does. Bandage can also prevent Bowmaster pings.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-07-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Cool, I'm glad someone else is thinking on this. Unfortunately, I've given up on Modern. Our weekly tourneys have become dominated by try-hards and I'm not feeling that vibe right now.
    Plus, Staff ain't legal in Modern.

Sep 2011

Too bad. Mono W control could actually be good in Modern.

The biggest thing holding back Mono W Control in Legacy is that the combo matchup is unwinnable. Otherwise mono W has great matchups against fair decks. Modern doesn't have the same power level of combo to worry about and has most of the white control tools.

You can skip Staff, no big deal. You still have draw engines via The One Ring, white Courts, etc.

Edit: To make this more competitive you'd need to shave back on some of the cute stuff and run more good cards, but that may be too "try hard" for your purpose.

Caw-Go 2023

//Lands: 23
    2 Urza's Saga
    4 Field of Ruin
    4 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Arid Mesa
    9 Plains
    2 Emeria's Call

//Creatures: 10
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon
    2 Eagles of the North

//Spells: 13
    1 Bandage
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Wing Shards
    2 Cosmic Intervention
    3 Doomskar

//Enchantments: 4
    4 Cast Out

//Artifacts: 6
    1 Expedition Map
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    4 The One Ring

//Planeswalkers: 4
    2 The Wandering Emperor
    2 Karn, The Great Creator

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Argentum Masticore
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Silence
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Celestial Purge
    1 Story Circle

The curve seems high. But at 1-2 mana there is a lot of action from pitch cards (Solitude, March), cycling (Dragon, Cast Out, Eagles), Foretell (Doomskar, Cosmic), or land abilities (Saga, Field, Eiganjo). Only 10 cards in the deck do nothing on 2 lands. Meanwhile there are 21 lands + 2 MDFC + 7 land tutors + 5 1-mana cyclers to help ramp up to 4.

Once at 4-5 mana, the big engines come online (The One Ring, Karn), all the modal cards can be cast at full value, and Masticore can pitch them to destroy most things. Meanwhile you will be drawing big action statistically more often than decks with lower curves (high % big-mana action + many ways to thin basic Plains) so the lategame should be favorable.

Saga can avoid putting you behind on lands by getting Expedition Map.

Karn can get multiple lategame engines:
    Coating -> pick away their lands
    Crucible -> loop Saga (creatures) or Field of Ruin (mana denial) or Mesa (ramp)
    Lattice -> lock
    Masticore -> kill stuff & attack

Cosmic Intervention has synergy with fetchlands, Field of Ruin, Saga, Map, Lantern, Solitude, engines dying, or making wraths 1-Sided. It's not as good here as in Legacy (Zuran Orb, Cataclysm) but still a great engine for mono white.

The deck still gets to run Bandage for meme value, with minimal downside. It's a 1-mana cycler that builds storm for Wing Shards and has high probability of digging into instant interaction while preventing 1 damage with the cycle. Due Respect might be the better card overall (Niveous Wisps has too many failcases where it can't cycle), but punking people with Bandage is still fun even after the days of Goblin Lackey are long done.

It may be optimal to go up to 4 Eagles + 4 Emeria's Call. They are both great tools for mono W control to have stable mana while also having pitch cards (Solitude, March) and not manaflooding lategame. There is a tradeoff though, because you need enough fetchable basic Plains in the deck. I think 9 is a good number. Maybe Flagstones is the cut. It functions as a 0-life fetch for Plains (legend rule), though it is worse in Modern without Legacy's Zuran Orb. Since Eagles also thins the deck, Eagles may be better.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-07-2023 at 06:39 PM.

Sep 2011

Updated list:

Now with more Bandage!

//Lands: 20
    2 Urza's Saga
    4 Field of Ruin
    10 Plains
    1 Arid Mesa
    2 Emeria's Call

//Creatures: 12
    4 Solitude
    4 Timeless Dragon
    4 Eagles of the North

//Artifacts: 6
    1 Soul-Guide Lantern
    1 Expedition Map
    4 The One Ring

//Planeswalker: 4
    1 Gideon of the Trials
    1 The Wandering Emperor
    2 Karn, the Great Creator

//Enchantments: 4
    4 Cast Out

//Spells: 14
    4 Bandage
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Wing Shards
    3 Doomskar

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Argentum Masticore
    1 Ratchet Bomb
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Silence
    2 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Celestial Purge
    1 Court of Grace

12 1 mana cycles
    5 2 mana cycles

14 cards that thin lands out of the deck to improve draws

9 answers for opposing The One Ring

5 mass creature removal + up to 15 spot removal; wishboard has 1 mass removal + 1 creature prison + 1 reusable spot removal

4 LD + 3 wishboard mana hate
    Last edited by FTW; 09-19-2023 at 11:50 PM.

Thread Information