Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Re: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Good news everyone! Halo is not a drug in spite of being marketed like one!

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Kids don't read, they watch videos.
    Too true. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

This is something I miss about '90s Magic...
    I was told that this may be just a nostalgia, but I think there's much more than just that.
    imho the old Magic formed a self-contained universe, and there was something really nice about taigas and tundras, undiscovered paradises, even crucibles of worlds. It seems like lot of mystery is lost ever since we're following a band of adolescent edgelords and edgeladies on their journey through more and more contrived worlds and adventures.
    Additionally, and this could be just my personal dislike, I seriously cannot stand some of the decisions behind the Magic's main poster persons. Whenever I see any illustration of Liliana, it seems like she's a projection from someone's dreams; a dark shadow accompanying the Virgin Mother, perfect accomplice in a crime, your buddy's older sister, a mistress-whore-destiny, an embodiment of all-consuming sexuality. ffs, at least make the marketing a bit less obvious.
    I also hate the very sound of "Jace".

That's kind of another overarching fuck-up in regards to Magic's decision to make Planeswalkers a card type, right...
    Sure as all fucks, not only the pws are glued into already baroque rules, and thus they stick like a sore thumb even after fifteen years, they also usurp every aspect of the game from lore through design to promo material. You cannot simply take a shit in your friendly local gaming store without Jace shoving himself into your face wearing his "man i'm so tough" dark-blue hoodie.
    Otoh I really like Garruk. I think that the first three or four cards were really cool, and so was Elspeth, although you can easily argue that she's also some kind of a sexual avatar.

And the new gen of pws suck even harder, they often got several absolutely op abilities, some of them static, don't forget to make the cards doublefaced, please.
    Magic feels like several games thrown together, and it lost 90 % of integrity/consistency. There are spell-creatures, creature-spells, an immense amount of never used unnecessary card types that nobody but goyf cares about, idiotic tinkering with main graphic design that just further fragments the game, etc.
    But I guess Magic: the Godfather will somehow save the franchise.

If I had to pick between a card game exposing my kid to either drug use or racial slurs? Think I'd rather find drugs under my kid's bed than like Gary Lauck's newsletter or whatever the shitty kids are reading these days
    Absolutely agree, in the US there are 100k bad-book-reading overdoses annually, you wouldn't want to be another mourning fahter, would ya?
    Just like St. Thomas Moore famously wrote: "Thou shallst abstain not from ale, not from ye stronge spirit that merely killeth ye mortal body of thine, but cleanse yourselve from all dissident thoughts, from every heretycal tome that leadeth thine immortal seoul into perdition and the fiery flames of Hell."

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    If I had to pick between a card game exposing my kid to either drug use or racial slurs? Think I'd rather find drugs under my kid's bed than like Gary Lauck's newsletter or whatever the shitty kids are reading these days
    So I'm with you about that: Racism is a blight, and it needs to be suppressed or destroyed. I'm not making a point about moral equivalence.

What bothers me is that they're freewheeling all over the place with their attempts to produce a sanitized product that still includes necromancy, demons, massacres, "race matters" mechanics, now drugs, etc. (N.B.: Noticeably absent from the list of cards banned for racism are Extinction and Virtue's Ruin, both of which are far worse than a number of the cards they banned). If they're going as deep as they're going to ban Stone-Throwing Devils (I still don't know whom it allegedly disparages: Palestinians? Quakers? Palestinian Quakers? Someone else?), at least they should be circumspect enough to know that marketing fake drugs from a fantasy world of cardboard rectangles to kids is a bad idea. But here we are.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    So I'm with you about that: Racism is a blight, and it needs to be suppressed or destroyed. I'm not making a point about moral equivalence.

What bothers me is that they're freewheeling all over the place with their attempts to produce a sanitized product that still includes necromancy, demons, massacres, "race matters" mechanics, now drugs, etc. (N.B.: Noticeably absent from the list of cards banned for racism are Extinction and Virtue's Ruin, both of which are far worse than a number of the cards they banned). If they're going as deep as they're going to ban Stone-Throwing Devils (I still don't know whom it allegedly disparages: Palestinians? Quakers? Palestinian Quakers? Someone else?), at least they should be circumspect enough to know that marketing fake drugs from a fantasy world of cardboard rectangles to kids is a bad idea. But here we are.
    Eyeblight Massacre and Tivadar's Crusade are totally fine as they don't depict something that minorities could be projected on ?

Also, remember that The Meathook Massacre and Phyrexians flaying people is a okay.

What bothers me that it these things fall into a a taboo area where it is perceived to be better to stay silent instead of making a point.
    A lot of fantasy deals with "real life" issues that are more or less thinly veiled behind some dragons and sorcery.
    However WotC always pulls a "it's fantasy nonsense" or "a wizard did it" bullshit.

These patterns also contribute to why most stories nowadays are shit.
    E.g. Urza was a complete shitbag and did horrendous things but was still better than the Phyrexians.
    There were many different perspectives on the story and all characters had their own motives and goals.
    Now we had the multiverse power ranges fight big bad because he-big-bad.
    Storywise Liliana would have been the only interesting character if she hadn't been just cliches and tiddies.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It's easy to move from "magic is eliminating racially motivated themes" to "magic is sanitizing itself", but the first is a specific goal and the latter is too broad to really carry any weight. I don't really subscribe to the idea that if we can't remove all taboo/contentiousness then we shouldn't remove any of it, and I don't think that's what is happening - I mean, obviously it isn't, we're having this thread about "why drugs ok but not Jihad"

Just saying the plot of the Netflix show "Arcane" (The League of Legends show) was heavily focused on an underworld drug and it aslo had some racism in it.

And yeah way more kids follow LoL than some Mtg Lore.

Not sure what my point is but you guys should watch Arcane, its really great!
    Last edited by HdH_Cthulhu; 03-21-2022 at 01:29 AM.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

[People know the LOLre]

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

My 21yo wants me to watch Arcane. I tried LoR and while it is probably a good game, my device couldn't handle the sound (or the app is poorly coded, either way) and I couldn't deal with the shitty audio. Plus, like, I just didn't see the value of adding Another F2P Distraction to the pile of shit in my life, so I didn't play for very long.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This one:

Seems way better than this one:

Just off the top of my head, Obsuca returning three-mana Teferi seems pretty decent. It can also kill an opposing Teferi. Not sure that is better than Prismatic Ending, but it's something to think about.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    —Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Seems like you would be able to do some silly things with esper charm 2.0, Aminatou, the fateshifter and Mystic Sanctuary

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

This one seems a good bit weaker that those first two.

Seems like a valid reanimation target.
    Not sure if better than Grizzly.

This also looks pretty ok and abusable.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Seems like a valid reanimation target.
    Not sure if better than Grizzly.
    Funny to Sneak Attack that in, but Emrakul is almost certainly better most of the time.

Another charm:

I could see this possibly in modern or legacy jund as a 1of. Both Act on Impulse and Soul Shatter are fringe playable in Ruby storm and Curses respectively. This is either card or an emergency gy wipe.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Not terrible, at least:

I think more spoilers start on the 7th.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Not terrible, at least:

I think more spoilers start on the 7th.
    Correct.
    And the whole set will be up on the 14th. Just a week of spoilers once we get past the drip.

I know it’s a meme, but Possible nic fit playable? 3 mana for 2 planeswalkers, one of which provides an immediate blocker and the other drains your opponent for 2

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Since it triggers on casting, the copy made can't be countered (expect for Stifle). Might be cool, but who knows? The opponents can just choose to eat the damage instead of discarding, right?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

An interesting take on Spell Pierce:

Not that many people are playing Spell Pierce right now.

Thread Information