Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Alternate title might be: Where the Streets Have Bad Names.

Release date is April 29th, I believe on both MTGO and paper at the same time (this is new and something they are trying).

Previews start today, March 3rd at 2:30 PST on Twitch/YouTube.

I'll see if I can catch some things that seem interesting/relevant.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Re: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Alternate title might be: Where the Streets Have Bad Names.
    If you have to have an alt title, then your first was streets behind.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

They should see if they can get Mike Skinner to fight Post Malone in a Standard feature match
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

You now have ten triomes.
    Congrats, bant.

Another f&^%^& new set? Dear lords, if I paid any attention to this crap I would be tired of it by now. This is really a game for students with loads of free time.

I could see the shard lands showing up in legacy decks with intensive colour requirements as a 1 of. Uro is very colour intensive for bant decks and the esper/grixis one could help those decks cast t2 hymn.

Or decks with specific land type effects.
    The Naya one could be better than taiga in GWr depths (because of flagstones)
    Replacing a Savannah would help bant/4c decks better support mystic sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    Another f&^%^& new set? Dear lords, if I paid any attention to this crap I would be tired of it by now. This is really a game for students with loads of free time.
    The set is coming out at a normal time. The problem is that they do spoilers for 8 weeks so it feels like it never ends.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

I hate that I see triomes and dismiss them for ETB tapped. Three fucking land types, cycling, no life payment, and yet my first impression is that they're EDH fodder (and maybe not even that, if your group is too competitive these lands are no better than any other cheap ETBT lands)

Any Kithkin spoiled yet? No? Fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I hate that I see triomes and dismiss them for ETB tapped. Three fucking land types, cycling, no life payment, and yet my first impression is that they're EDH fodder (and maybe not even that, if your group is too competitive these lands are no better than any other cheap ETBT lands)

Any Kithkin spoiled yet? No? Fuck
    You play one or so in your tricolor modern deck.

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    It's been four standard sets a year for like the past twenty years.
    One block if three and a core set

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Not sure whether to treat Art Deco lands as a visionary attempt to expand the imagination or a spectacularly Randian plot to explain who the fuck John Galt is, though I don't think anyone of value or caliber cared to find out in 1957 or since.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    I don't think anyone of value or caliber cared to find out in 1957 or since.
    I think Ron Paul knows about Galt

And I'm pleased with completing the triome cycle.

If you haven't seen the Atlus Shrugged trilogy the first one was a hilariously awful movie with incredibly wooden acting and dated special effects.
    Think Sorkin filming his model railroad but worse.
    I didn't watch the other two because why would i, but a friend dragged me to the first

Not sure whether to treat Art Deco lands as a visionary attempt to expand the imagination or a spectacularly Randian plot to explain who the fuck John Galt is, though I don't think anyone of value or caliber cared to find out in 1957 or since.
    It's Great Gatsby

Aug 2015
    The woods again

If you haven't seen the Atlus Shrugged trilogy the first one was a hilariously awful movie with incredibly wooden acting and dated special effects.
    Think Sorkin filming his model railroad but worse.
    I guess I'm going off track (heh heh), but I like a LOT of VERY questionable movies, and I couldn't make it through the first installment. Just . . . shots of trains doing train stuff. And all the heroes seem exactly like the villains only attractive-er. At one point I blurted out, "This feels like I'm watching what going to work feels like."
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

I guess I'm going off track (heh heh), but I like a LOT of VERY questionable movies, and I couldn't make it through the first installment. Just . . . shots of trains doing train stuff. And all the heroes seem exactly like the villains only attractive-er. At one point I blurted out, "This feels like I'm watching what going to work feels like."
    It's Atlas shrugged: the "heroes" ARE the villains of any other story.

why the fuck is there a fucking shinkansen on my Magic cards now?

I hate that I see triomes and dismiss them for ETB tapped. Three fucking land types, cycling, no life payment, and yet my first impression is that they're EDH fodder...
    tbf your impression is valid, those lands are not really good in anything they do. They cycle, sure, but for three mana, they fix the colors, but turn after you play them. Nice cards, but not strong enough.

Well, honestly they are not even nice, I don't like the aesthetics at all. Ziatora's Proving Ground looks like a close up of a microchip. Thankfully we will have a full-art version where a guy plays curling in an abandoned Walmart warehouse. And I don't even have an idea what's going on in few of the other illustrations.

Similarly, I don't even have an idea what's going on here storywise:

She was someone who fit right in but could be spotted instantly. Brown hair and piercing... and nobody would get the drop on her.
    Smart. And being smart led to compliments of the kitchen, a server plating fancy hors d'oeuvres in front of you. With a smile and nod, you adjusted your napkin and placing more than enough to cover for your soy latté, the reader entered into a bewildered confusion.

I feel like they're moving more and more into this techno/urban/XYZpunk territory, and it makes the game an absolute mess of ideas and aesthetics.
    It also feels like a pandering to an increasingly urbanised population "guys, an adventure isn't to be found in the jungles of some far distant tropical island, it is right here at your fingertips in the big boring noisy overcrowded stinky city, exactly like the one that you live in" hence this Return to Return to Human Anthill.

who the fuck John Galt, Ron Paul, Sorin, Gatsby is
    I needed to google 3/4 of those names.
    Interesting that the art did remind you of a book, because I got the absolute opposite feeling, some of the illustrations emit a weird nat soc vibe.

But they're fine for the EDH, I'll make proxies, only with some cool pictures.

MOD EDIT: Yeah, I am going to preemptively remove the term you used, which seems, at best, to be patronizing or possibly derogatory. Really no need for that.
    Last edited by H; 03-09-2022 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hack View Post
    ... and it makes the game an absolute mess of ideas and aesthetics.....
    There's a demon wearing pin stripe suit trousers.

Well, honestly they are not even nice, I don't like the aesthetics at all. Ziatora's Proving Ground looks like a close up of a microchip. Thankfully we will have a full-art version where a guy plays curling in an abandoned Walmart warehouse. And I don't even have an idea what's going on in few of the other illustrations.

I feel like they're moving more and more into this techno/urban/XYZpunk territory, and it makes the game an absolute mess of ideas and aesthetics.
    It also feels like a pandering to an increasingly urbanised population "guys, an adventure isn't to be found in the jungles of some far distant tropical island, it is right here at your fingertips in the big boring noisy overcrowded stinky city, exactly like the one that you live in" hence this Return to Return to Human Anthill.
    I got a lot of vibes similar to that ancient "Metropolis" movie but the essence is still pretty art deco.
    Anyone remember when plains had actual plains in them instead of just something white or islands were not just blue whatever?

In general, they have run out of creative ideas a long time a go so they are just stealing from everything else. Like Kaldheim was basically norse mythology with some name changes.
    It doesn't help that they can't create interesting characters or tell an interesting story.
    Then again, they have to shit out 4 sets a year together with some nostalgia product and more commander nonsense with like 3 cards that are accidentally broken in eternal.
    No wonder everything is so half baked.

The adara Express needed a friend

MOD EDIT: Yeah, I am going to preemptively remove the term you used, which seems, at best, to be patronizing or possibly derogatory. Really no need for that.
    It's a slur. It only has one use.

Thread Information