Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

Re: Streets of New Capenna: High-way or dead end?

So they're going to change the rules right?
    Because if they don't, then this doesn't really work.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

So how does this work? It isn't a planeswalker (thus not being attackable anymore), but they can still uptick and have their static abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    So how does this work? It isn't a planeswalker (thus not being attackable anymore), but they can still uptick and have their static abilities?
    Also, when they block a creature, they would not lose loyalty counters, I think. So, against decks with low amounts of creature removal spells, this makes some pretty strong defenders (the planeswalker can even block to save other planeswalkers).

Yes. Also damage won't reduce its loyalty because thats for planeswalkers.

What you'll have is a 0/0 creature with +1/+1 for each counter (so it's loyalty) on it.
    I haven't have my morning coffee so someone else will have to say if it dies to dressdown.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Yes. Also damage won't reduce its loyalty because thats for planeswalkers.

What you'll have is a 0/0 creature with +1/+1 for each counter (so it's loyalty) on it.
    I haven't have my morning coffee so someone else will have to say if it dies to dressdown.
    Haha this is a tough one. I would guess that "is no longer a PW" would count as an ability which would be lost -> equip falls off PW is a PW again, no longer a creature.

I don't think that's right, Luxio doesn't grant any abilities, it just modifies the attached permanent.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I disagree. No control deck plays beast within, but Path to Exile and boseiju, who endures and Assassin’s Trophy are reasonable control cards for modern at least. 2 temporary mana vs 1 permanent mana is a wash, imo.

Combo can play swan song because they are winning quickly making the swan irrelevant. Control will have to answer the token eventually, making it quite bad. Control is already planning on giving the opponent lots of time until the opponent runs out of gas. If you hit anything more expensive than 1 mana this is the same tempo loss as duress.
    Agreed, this is a huge upgrade from Swan Song or Spell Pierce in control. With Swan Song, the 2/2 was problematic because it replaces one problem with another that you still need to answer (and in matchups you really want a negate you probably want to board out creature removal). Giving your opponent temporary mana in a game you intend to make as long as possible doesn't mater at all. This will see play.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Agreed, this is a huge upgrade from Swan Song or Spell Pierce in control. With Swan Song, the 2/2 was problematic because it replaces one problem with another that you still need to answer (and in matchups you really want a negate you probably want to board out creature removal). Giving your opponent temporary mana in a game you intend to make as long as possible doesn't mater at all. This will see play.
    Fun card to protect my Karn with, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007

I've just realized that the equip PW ability is cheap enough to be used in conjunction with Karakas to reset your used Planeswalkers, e.g. Teferi or Narset.

Is this better than tendrils or children of korlis in Tin Fins?

Queza, Augur of Agonies
    1WUB
    Creature - Cephalid Advisor
    Whenever you draw a card, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

Is this better than tendrils or children of korlis in Tin Fins?

Queza, Augur of Agonies
    1WUB
    Creature - Cephalid Advisor
    Whenever you draw a card, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    I don't think so, Children is great because it looks backwards at all the life you already lost, so you can draw your way to it with Griselbrand.

Storm also looks backwards for Tendrils, same idea.

Mar 2007

Cunning Receiver
    Creature - Human Citizen
    When Cunning Receiver enters the battlefield choose a nonland permanent.

Abilities of the permanent chosen can't be activated.

Cunning Receiver has all the activated abilities of the chosen permanent, except for loyalty abilities. You can spend mana as if it was of any color to activate these abilities.
    2/3
    This one looks pretty strong. Not sure which abilities are worth stealing in Legacy, but even just as a beefier Revoker that pitches to Force, it should pretty damn good.

This one looks pretty strong. Not sure which abilities are worth stealing in Legacy, but even just as a beefier Revoker that pitches to Force, it should pretty damn good.
    Yo dawg, you can recruiter a vial so you can vial in a vial!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

What blows out 5c humans? I guess if they play out an Engineered Explosives and don;t have the mana to pop it right away you can rob them. Does anybody play Pernicious Deed unironically?
    Maybe in some Stoneforge Mystic mirror match you rob them of being able to put in Kaldra then cheat the one you had in hand. Lots of useful cases, not all easily known. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Well, it's only that one permanent, not everything that shares the name with it so it's not so strong vs duplicates.
    Still feels like a strong card but maybe more for modern.

On an other note, does legacy need a big middle finger?

This seems also like a very strong alternative to strix.

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Well, it's only that one permanent, not everything that shares the name with it so it's not so strong vs duplicates.
    Still feels like a strong card but maybe more for modern.
    The card you want to choose also has to be on the battlefield, so you can't block specific cards beforehand. Definitely not a replacement of revoker and I doubt it's playable at all in Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    This seems also like a very strong alternative to strix.

5 different mana values are kinda iffy with all the GY hate around. Sure, lands are a freebie, but then you still need 4 others. Without, it's just a Strix that doesn't draw immediately and without deathtouch.

Mar 2007

Commander leak that caused several buyouts.

The gist is that you reanimate some nonlegendary creature from your GY under you opponent's control and goad it (= can't attack you) before exiling it at the beginning of the next end step. Why Hellcarver Demon and Eater of Days are bought out is beyond me, considering you can just use Leveler for a pretty much guaranteed kill.

Commander leak that caused several buyouts.

The gist is that you reanimate some nonlegendary creature from your GY under you opponent's control and goad it (= can't attack you) before exiling it at the beginning of the next end step. Why Hellcarver Demon and Eater of Days are bought out is beyond me, considering you can just use Leveler for a pretty much guaranteed kill.
    Sounds like an awful game plan, even for commander.

This on the other hand seems like pretty good value.

May 2015
    PDX

This on the other hand seems like pretty good value.
    I mean it's cool that it returns 36 power of Dreadnoughts back to play, but Sevinne's outclassed this.

Thread Information