Thread: Arena Economy

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Arena Economy

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...omy-2022-03-17

My take-away is that they are listening to the community concerns and have no intentions of improving the game.

'You want to be able to dust cards for rares and mythics necessary to play at competitive levels? How about we charge you $50 for 12 rare and 4 mythic wildcards instead?'

I'm following along with Pleasant Kenobi and not spending any money on Arena for as long as it feels like I'm getting ripped off.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: Arena Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

My take-away is that they are listening to the community concerns and have no intentions of improving the game.

'You want to be able to dust cards for rares and mythics necessary to play at competitive levels? How about we charge you $50 for 12 rare and 4 mythic wildcards instead?'

I'm following along with Pleasant Kenobi and not spending any money on Arena for as long as it feels like I'm getting ripped off.
    I don't think voting with dollars works with the f2p business model unless you're one of the 2% of 2% of players actually keeping the game afloat. I mean, by all means don't spend the money, I haven't even logged in for many months, just I don't think most consumers have a voice unless they're major whales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

You're right, but I'm not staging a protest thinking I could affect WotC's decision-making. I feel like I'm getting ripped off, so no more buying virtual packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post

12 rares don't get you anywhere near building a deck.

Having said that, mono-white in standard has got 42 rares and 3 mythic. Costs 271 tix, 182 tabletop, under that principle would cost around 200usd in arena so, still miles cheaper than MTGO and marginally more than paper, and you would be left with a lot of mythics to spare. What this means is that arena is going the way of MTGO, not the other way around. They are heading into more monetization, not less.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...p-and-thoughts

TL;DR:
    Sadly, based on Wizards' comments and the overall tone of the stream, it doesn't seem like Wizards plans on making Arena meaningfully cheaper in general. Whenever a question came up about changes that would make the game less expensive for the average player (like trading lower-rarity wildcards for higher-rarity wildcards, codes in paper packs that give away Arena cards, or increasing the drop rate of wildcards), the answer was always some version of "This is possible but not something we're considering." Add in another release of Alchemy that is primarily made of rares and mythics, and the message is clear: Wizards is happy with the current cost of playing Arena. While Wizards might shift things around within the current economy, there seems to be very little hope of big changes that would actually make the game more accessible to players.

Thread Information