Thread: True-to-paper Eternal format Inbound

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

True-to-paper Eternal format Inbound

Behold, and rejoice in the beholding

https://youtu.be/quXFaSKfLYo

Nobody exactly knows what format it'll be though they keep throwing around the "Pioneer" word quite a bit.

I had no interest in logging in so long as their company line around such a format was "we have no current plans...." but this honestly puts me in a pretty good mood. I've enjoyed Arena for the most part and if they stay true to their word in keeping all digital cards, rebalances, and effects out of this new format then I welcome it and will gladly return to the game.

I suppose I should start taking a hard look at what's good in Pioneer? I actually have precious few non-Brawl decks, so I'm chock-full of 1-ofs. I'm already scared for my wildcards. There are also no Kithkin in Pioneer, sadge :'(

Anyway, you're all much smarter than I am, what do you think about this incoming format?
    Last edited by TsumiBand; 03-23-2022 at 04:31 PM. Reason: I guess all instances of "word" autocorrected to "weird" because FML, so I fixed that
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Re: True-to-paper Eternal format Inbound

I still have no clue what this new format will entail, it seems obvious it's going to be a standard only sets format, big question is with what set will this start, what's the ban list, etc but, in preparation for this I have essentially stopped crafting and I'm now just stockpiling wildcards. Which is kind of the opposite of what wotc wants people to do but hey, their actions have unintended outcomes.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    I still have no clue what this new format will entail, it seems obvious it's going to be a standard only sets format, big question is with what set will this start, what's the ban list, etc but, in preparation for this I have essentially stopped crafting and I'm now just stockpiling wildcards. Which is kind of the opposite of what wotc wants people to do but hey, their actions have unintended outcomes.
    I've been largely playing the same couple of Historic Brawl decks since I started playing Arena so this is mostly what I've been doing the whole time v0v

I was always going to treat this the same way I treat all f2p games - see if it's a real game or just a series of flashing lights with a slot for my credit card, build just a handful of things to my satisfaction, grind that pile until something must change (the meta stomps me, I get bored, they finally print my beloved Kithkin, etc)

Optional next step is to actually spend real money on the game but that would require it being exceptionally good, and Arena has to really win me back if I'm gonna drop money on it. A good "just like paper" experience could be a good first step but if they fuck it up I'll just keep not logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    ... A good "just like paper" experience could be a good first step but if they fuck it up I'll just keep not logging in.
    I'm actually not that fussed if it's close to paper or not, since I don't play paper it's not surprising. But I ended-up finding that, to keep with the continuous changes caused by the influx of releases, you were either in a situation where you had to pay $s or spend your entire day grinding. otherwise, by the time you accumulate enough wildcards and spent them, there's been another release, another influx of cards, and you are back to square one. Just an horrendous grind.

I used to play a lot of Heartstone F2P and it was not even remotely half as bad as arena. The big difference obviously being the fact that you did not need 20 rares just for the mana base alone.

In short, I would look for a more stable format, something that did not have alchemy and special sets would suit me just fine. I just really cannot see it happening. Reading on reddit, etc the young kids that prob make 90% of the player base want things to be 'fresh' or 'shaken up' every week or so.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Here you go!
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/explorer

I'm holding back judgment for a bit to see how this format feels. I'm initially optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Here you go!
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/formats/explorer

I'm holding back judgment for a bit to see how this format feels. I'm initially optimistic.
    First hot take:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...orer-potential

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

As long as I can play some Tier 4 White Weenie bullshit and only update it once in a while when new tech comes out and not because some 0head digital rebalancing took place, that's essentially all I'm here for. Fucking sick.

Now somebody hook me up with one of those dark web hitman websites so I can pay some 15 year old incel that looks like Glenn Close to kick MaRo in the dick for acting like nobody wanted this

As long as I can play some Tier 4 White Weenie bullshit and only update it once in a while when new tech comes out and not because some 0head digital rebalancing took place, that's essentially all I'm here for. Fucking sick.

Now somebody hook me up with one of those dark web hitman websites so I can pay some 15 year old incel that looks like Glenn Close to kick MaRo in the dick for acting like nobody wanted this
    Galida all day every day baby

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Galida all day every day baby
    ...Google says "Galida" is part of the translated name for Icingdeath Frost Tyrant, is that what you're trying to get me to build? Cuz I'll fucken do it

...Google says "Galida" is part of the translated name for Icingdeath Frost Tyrant, is that what you're trying to get me to build? Cuz I'll fucken do it
    Sorry it's Giada. The new Angel psudo lord/mana dork. I'm slammin' angels babee

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Sorry it's Giada. The new Angel psudo lord/mana dork. I'm slammin' angels babee
    Ohhhhh yeah looks like there's some buzz around her in Standard as well. Looks meaty.

There's probably a Soul Sisters deck in the format, which I love. And goddamn do people love to piss and moan about that style of deck on the Arena Reddit board, which I also love (the pissing and moaning, not Reddit). But in the absence of my preferred tribal jank I might just set sights on Angel beats.

Ohhhhh yeah looks like there's some buzz around her in Standard as well. Looks meaty.

There's probably a Soul Sisters deck in the format, which I love. And goddamn do people love to piss and moan about that style of deck on the Arena Reddit board, which I also love (the pissing and moaning, not Reddit). But in the absence of my preferred tribal jank I might just set sights on Angel beats.
    Soul Warden is a little unfair in historic because the format is designed to force you to play creatures, so I usually just scoop when my op goes t1 soul Warden and I don't have the immediate answer or some giant creatures.
    But soul Warden isn't historic legal and the versions that are like lunarch veteran are much more palatable.

The Giada play pattern of her plus some life gain and resplendent angel is nuts. Even her plus the 2/4 gain life equal to toughness is nuts. If pioneer gets a 1 mana angel the deck could go places. Historic has the one from MH1 and just going on turn three: attack for 2, vigilance, play a 3/5 for 3 and a 3/3 for 1, gain 3 is pretty solid. If you untap and play resplendent that's an extra gain 6, make an angel gain 8.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Soul Warden is a little unfair in historic because the format is designed to force you to play creatures, so I usually just scoop when my op goes t1 soul Warden and I don't have the immediate answer or some giant creatures.
    But soul Warden isn't historic legal and the versions that are like lunarch veteran are much more palatable.

The Giada play pattern of her plus some life gain and resplendent angel is nuts. Even her plus the 2/4 gain life equal to toughness is nuts. If pioneer gets a 1 mana angel the deck could go places. Historic has the one from MH1 and just going on turn three: attack for 2, vigilance, play a 3/5 for 3 and a 3/3 for 1, gain 3 is pretty solid. If you untap and play resplendent that's an extra gain 6, make an angel gain 8.
    Oh fuck I didn't realize no Soul Warden in Explorer. Maybe I should like actually look at the legal sets instead of like not doing that

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Anybody playing Explorer?

I initially planned to shun it, but haven't... And it's got me spending a few bucks in Arena again.
    Overall I've enjoyed the experience.

I initially planned to shun it, but haven't... And it's got me spending a few bucks in Arena again.
    I have, but since I merely moved my sligh deck from historic, to be honest, did not see any difference. But haven't even touched arena within the last month so need to go back and see if Explorer is moving.

BTW, everyone prob knows this but, in case someone does not, these are pretty good resources:

https://mtgazone.com/metagame/explorer/

https://mtgazone.com/explorer-metaga...t-june-8-2022/

Explorer is fine. I like that it exists to bridge the divide between arena and pioneer.
    But honestly the arena ecconomy being such dogshit is what keeps me away.
    i hit level 70 last week and haven't been assed to come back for HBG

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Now having the option to play with only cards that exist in paper (I realize I had this option with Standard, but... gross), I'm finding that I much prefer it to the other available options in Arena.

The meta game is fairly diverse. No strategy feels dominant or unbeatable. I'm currently enjoying Explorer on Arena very much

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    I've had doubts about arenas scalibility before, but lol of lols if I can finally play legacy on it

Thread Information