Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Commander legends: Battle for baldur's gate

Re: Commander legends: Battle for baldur's gate

New stifle just dropped!
    A 2/2 for G? Damn that's so good with dre....wait it does WHAT to the artifact!?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Random card from the precons - any good cheap target for it?

Endless Evil 2U
    Enchantment — Aura
    Enchant creature you control
    At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of enchanted creature, except the token is 1/1.
    When enchanted creature dies, if that creature was a Horror, return Endless Evil to its owner's hand.
    Wharf Infiltrator is less all-in, cheaper, and pitches to FoW. Basically the same endpoint. If you want to copy ETBs, that's not a horror thing; save mana and use Mirror Mockery or that rebound blink card for .

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Random card from the precons - any good cheap target for it?

Endless Evil 2U
    Enchantment — Aura
    Enchant creature you control
    At the beginning of your upkeep, create a token that's a copy of enchanted creature, except the token is 1/1.
    When enchanted creature dies, if that creature was a Horror, return Endless Evil to its owner's hand.
    Looking through Horrors, nothing jumps out
    Mostly just EDH cute interactions.

Chasm Skulker will all get big and make many squids, I guess
    Hell's Caretaker gives you the token of itself to sacrifice to reanimate anything over and over
    An army of cute lil' Phyrexian Obliterator isn't the worst
    You can Spellskite over and over if that's of interest to you

That's what I found as a once through. May have missed some.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post

New stifle just dropped!
    A 2/2 for G? Damn that's so good with dre....wait it does WHAT to the artifact!?
    Missing lands, creatures, and planeswalkers is pretty bad. Mana abilities can’t be responded to. For stuff that sacs itself like baubles this isn’t much better than a stifle. For stuff that produces value over time like saga, chalice, or vial this isn’t much better than a reclamation sage.

The big wins are artifact or enchantment creatures with etbs. This seems great against Baleful strix, Doomwake Giant, kappa Cannoneer, Thought Monitor, and Batterskull. It would be a weird meta where all those cards are common though.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Missing lands, creatures, and planeswalkers is pretty bad. Mana abilities can’t be responded to. For stuff that sacs itself like baubles this isn’t much better than a stifle. For stuff that produces value over time like saga or vial this isn’t much better than a reclamation sage.

The big wins are artifact or enchantment creatures with etbs. This seems great against Baleful strix, Doomwake Giant, kappa Cannoneer, Thought Monitor, and Batterskull. It would be a weird meta where all those cards are common though.
    The printing of green Boseju largely erased the need to run a card like this. Your main target would be Counterbalance b/c you can dump this into play off a Cavern...that you wished for with Map...that you wished for with Saga. This is made, first and foremost, to beat a card that should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The printing of green Boseju largely erased the need to run a card like this. Your main target would be Counterbalance b/c you can dump this into play off a Cavern...that you wished for with Map...that you wished for with Saga. This is made, first and foremost, to beat a card that should be banned.
    Counterbalance being bannable is a terrible take. It is way easier to run some stupid card advantage engine and a pile of forces. Any card that hates on storm and xerox but not nic fit and red stompy is healthy for the format.

If you want dedicated counterbalance hate, force of vigor, Krosan grip and abrupt decay are miles better, even before boseiju was printed.

Although the overall better card, boseiju is too late against thought monitor and doomwake, and it will usually be countered against kappa.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    If you want dedicated counterbalance hate, force of vigor, Krosan grip and abrupt decay are miles better, even before boseiju was printed.
    FoV is an amazing card, the best pure-green card in the format by a wide margin. It might even resolve and kill a Counterbalance, and you've got the ability to hit a second thing if you win the hearthstone flip.

While FoV is quite good, those other two are real stinkers. The reason you're going to lose with your "perfect" answer is that they rot in your hand until your opponent gives you a target...and that hand space they're stealing means you're down a card to pressure the Counterbalance user out of the game - these are trap cards. I vividly remember the old SDT/CB days where people played Decay and went on and on about how "I have a good matchup vs Counterbalance" - but funny enough, they all lost >50% of games vs miracles b/c they had hands flooded without any way to progress the game...and uh they all got savaged by ETA or Mentor 1-shots.

The difference with FoV is that you've got the ability to regain that lost tempo (from rotting away hand space without targets), and that's key to understanding why FoV is so much better. Boseju takes it to the next level however b/c the that card in hand doesn't have to sit there, you can make mana off it, which means you can cast bigger things, which generate more pressure...and if CB came down later you've got a land in play pushing you ever closer to 7 mana - a cmc Counterbalance will never flip off the top of deck no matter how much manipulation they have. Boseju kinda killed the play space of the Ooze b/c of this.
    ---
    It's definitely nice the Brown Ouphe was power-adjusted back into the playable card pool, but all the anti-Daze mechanics of foretell result in a 2/2 that has no targets vs Delver (and even if you rolled RUG Klothys is indestructible and Library is probably dropped b/c of huge weakness to Ending). So we've got to compare random anti-Daze 2/2 to the anti-Daze implications of having another land (Boseju). Next we compare it to shatterbears and ignore the color requirement; we note that DnT won't drop Cathar Commando so they can lose the ability to kill Torpor, Goblins won't drop Cratermaker so they can lose the ability to kill Torpor/Emrakul/Karn, and GSZ is a sorcery which kills the trigger. The Saga -> Map -> Cavern -> Ooze to kill your Counterbalance is kinda the last stone to turn over, and Boseju again comes out on top. Assement completed.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Wharf Infiltrator is less all-in, cheaper, and pitches to FoW. Basically the same endpoint. If you want to copy ETBs, that's not a horror thing; save mana and use Mirror Mockery or that rebound blink card for .
    This card though skips the attack phase - and I think this works best if you ignore the horror clause? It can enchant any creature . . .

I was thinking more stuff like:

Baleful Strix/Ice-Fang - extra card draw and jam the field with flying deathtouch
    Charming Prince - Scry, life gain or flicker reach turn?
    Epochrasite - I think all the copies enter with the +1/+1 counters?
    Meddling Mage - keep naming cards . . .
    Phantom Nomad - I think the copies can't die from combat damage?
    Gnat Miser - eventually opponent has a hand size of 0?

I'm sure there are other fun stuff . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Problem then is that it's just another enchantment that lets you 2 for 1 yourself. Any deck with removal will punish you and any deck that can't remove this will be busy resolving Doomsday and just winning the game. Magic Christmas Land where this runs amok seems like a game where any 3 mana permanent could be substituted and it'd work exactly the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information