Thread: 8 Mulch

8 Mulch

I've seen lists floating around like this one. Is there a primer for this kind of deck here?
    I've been wondering what the shell for this kind of deck is?
    Which cards are core?
    Which cards are flex?
    I've seen a list that uses an Urza's saga package instead of dark depth's.
    It seems this deck has favorable matchups against most fair decks, but might struggle against different kinds of combo.

Spells (16)
    4 Crop Rotation
    4 Life from the Loam
    4 Mulch
    4 Winding Way
    Enchantments (8)
    4 Exploration
    4 Manabond
    Lands (36)
    1 Blast Zone
    1 Bojuka Bog
    2 Boseiju, Who Endures
    2 Dark Depths
    4 Field of the Dead
    1 Forest
    1 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    4 Maze of Ith
    1 Misty Rainfores
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Stomping Ground
    2 Taiga
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    4 Thespian's Stage
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Wasteland
    1 Windswept Heath
    1 Wooded Foothills
    2 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
    Sideboard (15)
    1 Blast Zone
    2 Boseiju, Who Endures
    2 Dark Depths
    1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    4 Surgical Extraction

Re: 8 Mulch

I think the elopunters did a podcast on this deck recently which should air soon. The deck is very simple though: mull to exploration or mana bond. Cast your 1 drop, cast your 2 drop, hope a bunch of zombies beats your opponent. Don’t use discard your mulch with mana bond.

The core cards are the 8 enchantments, field of the dead, and the 12 draw a bunch of lands spells.

The flex slots are crop rotation and it’s targets (depths/bog)

You can play saga and comune with spirits over the above crop rotation package. This makes the deck more resilient to counter spells but even more brainless.

The deck is the legacy version of modern titanshift. It is a bet the entire meta is fair, since it is 80% vs fair decks and 5% vs combo decks. Similarly, it has almost no play to it, either the opponent kills you by t3-t4 or you dump your hand and win. The combination of boseiju and blast zone means it can kill most hate through discard or counters. It’s also difficult to counter all 12 of their draw 4s.

Other than running a combo kill, the best plan is to answer their enchantments immediately and then clock them fast. Or a fast magus of the moon/sanctum prelate on 2.

Sep 2011

This is pretty much the old 43 Lands.dec with 4 more Mulch. You run down the clock and win the game with 12 lands in play, less than half your deck left, and 3 FoW in opponent's hand.

The old version hasn't seen much play in a while compared to newer tech like Gr Lands, but monogreen really gets a boost from Yavimaya and Boseiju along with the 8x Mulch.

Treasure Hunt was tried long ago as another Mulch effect, but it's too high variance and the blue splash weakens the mana.

The 1 Grove without Punishing Fire even in the SB is strange.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    The 1 Grove without Punishing Fire even in the SB is strange.
    The deck is a field of the dead deck first and foremost. It’s the next best dual after stomping ground and taiga

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Curious as to whether this deck could go places with added Depths and Stages. I've always though Lands looked like a blast but like there's some amount of stuff in it that would be better if it were just "smash the other guy."

Of course, that's coming from me, a guy with no idea what he's talking about re: Mox Diamond-having decks.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Sep 2011

43 Lands/8Mulch is a more controlling version of Lands. Against fair opponents, it has late game inevitability. It will eventually make a win condition. There's no rush to turn sideways. Early game, it just needs to put out a lot of lands and gain control. More Depths doesn't help that. The "durdly" lands like Maze, Tabernacle, Blast Zone, Boseiju, Port do help. Before you're ready to go off, Dark Depths is textless... it doesn't even produce mana, it's Legendary, and it tempts you into LDing yourself into removal (StP = -2 lands) instead of building up lands.

If you want more beat face, play the accelerated version (RG Lands with Mox Diamond) or GW Depths.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    The deck is a field of the dead deck first and foremost. It’s the next best dual after stomping ground and taiga
    I thought there would be some better nonfetchable dual just for Field. The cycling Mountain+Forest may not be terrible with Loam recursion?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    After watching the ThrabenU video, I think even Karplusan Forest is better than Grove. You don't want opponent at 21 in a deck that attacks with 20/20s.

Thread Information