Thread: Grixis Control Pile

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Grixis Control Pile

I've never been a control player, but dipped my toes in with Grixis Control in Legacy recently and enjoyed the experience thoroughly despite doing quite poorly in the event. With Hidetsugu Consumes All now being a card, I decided to take a stab at a Grixis Control Pile in Historic:

Non-Land (39)
    4 Expressive Iteration
    3 Hidetsugu Consumes All
    2 Bonecrusher Giant
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Kolaghan's Command
    2 Sprite Dragon
    2 Unholy Heat
    1 Prismari Command
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    1 Consider
    1 Spell Pierce
    1 Negate
    1 Brazen Borrower
    1 Shark Typhoon
    1 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager
    1 Spikefield Hazard
    1 Jwari Disruption
    1 Fatal Push
    1 Pillar of Flame
    1 Mazemind Tome
    1 Bloodchief's Thirst
    1 Narset, Parter of Veils
    1 The Royal Scions
    1 Kaito Shizuki
    1 Sweltering Suns
    1 Memory Deluge
    1 Drown in the Loch
    1 Valki, God of Lies
    1 Goblin Cratermaker

Lands (21)
    1 Otawara, Soaring City
    1 Den of the Bugbear
    1 Hive of the Eye Tyrant
    1 Blightstep Pathway
    2 Dragonskull Summit
    3 Blood Crypt
    1 Clearwater Pathway
    2 Drowned Catacomb
    3 Watery Grave
    1 Lavaglide Pathway
    2 Sulfur Falls
    3 Steam Vents

Once rankings reset, I took this from Silver 4 to Platinum 4 in a day (BO1), making minor tweaks as I got more wildcards. It feels like it has game against everything and I'm working to complete a sideboard to try it in BO3 as well.

Re: Grixis Control Pile

I've tried multiple variants of Grixis Control in Bo3 and always found it lacking. Most often than not, the wrong solutions were found, or the mana base totally screwed up things. But I've seen some people have success with it, I just never quite could figure if it was the 'hey, 6 matches and I'm mythic again' or the 'took this pile from silver to mythic'.

Edit : In Bo3 ranked, gold level, just played against 4 Grixis Control decks in row. It seems the algorithm is now matching Sligh decks against Grixis Control piles. I went 3-1, saw the same issues I had with Grixis, slow, wrong solutions at the wrong time, too much life loss to itself (thoughtseize, shocks,...) My loss was because I twice in a row became mana screwed and grixis could just snipe my one single creature on the board.

Another thing to consider, Robber of the Rich is quite deadly against 3+ colour decks because not only steals answers, but also exlies land which can totally screw these 3+ colour decks. If you're playing against it with grixis, it's a must kill on sight.
    Last edited by jmlima; 04-09-2022 at 06:17 AM.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Re: Grixis Control Pile

After I read your post, I got paired up against Red Sligh 3 games in a row.
    I've been pretty evenly matched against that deck. Big factors are 'play vs draw' as well as 'how quickly they play out a hand of 1-drops' and whether I can cast HCA on turn 3.

I cut a Sprite Dragon for Tome of the Infinite. I want to fit Stifle into the deck but am struggling with what I'd cut. I've stalled out at Plat4 with the deck. It's worst matchup that I've noticed so far are Mana Rock Piles With Huge Colorless Payoffs, regardless of the splash color.

The mana base hasn't been too huge of a problem. Occasionally I start off at 16 because of Shock -> Thoughtseize. And occasionally I have a hand with only check-lands, but that hasn't been problematic because, outside of discard, I rarely want to be playing anything turn 1 or 2.

Still working to craft a sideboard but have started to play BO3 occasionally.

Thread Information