Thread: Hatching Blessings

Hatching Blessings

The idea is to gain card advantage through Hatching Plans and Treacherous Blessing. There are cards that can sacrifice those permanents. There are other permanents that can be sacrificed for little loss if neither of those are on the battlefield.

4 Hatching Plans
    4 Treacherous Blessing

4 Rite of Oblivion
    4 Perilous Research
    4 Abjure

4 Force of Will

3 Faerie Seer
    4 Devoted Grafkeeper
    2 Malevolent Hermit
    3 Lingering Souls
    1 Reservoir Kraken

4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Tundra
    2 Scrubland
    3 Marsh Flats
    1 Plains
    2 Island
    1 Swamp

This deck could go into red for Crack the Earth, but I don't know as it is worth it. It could also go down to 2 colors.

Here are some other cards that could be included:
    Baleful Strix
    Gutterbones
    Master of Death
    Dennick, Pious Apprentice
    Faithbound Judge
    Katilda, Dawnhart Martyr
    Chaplain of Alms
    Sarcomancy
    Burglar Rat
    Charming Prince
    Citizen’s Crowbar
    Mortarpod

Are there any things I am overlooking that should be considered for the deck?

Also, I am not sure which other lands should be included. I want to be sure to have the three colors, but I feel like I could get more out of the manabase than the current set of cards.

Thanks!

Re: Hatching Blessings

Blast Zone
    Nesting Grounds

They might not be good enough, but fitting enablers into your land base can be powerful.

Smokestack
    Vraska, Golgari Queen
    Doom Foretold

These are the enablers that are the closest to legacy playable by themselves.

May 2015
    Germany

There is also Induced Amnesia.
    With Amnesia you could maybe pivot away from black.

I do like Crack the Earth but I do not know if it is good enough (in this deck and in general).

Also, I was thinking that with cards like Reverent Silence you can trigger multiple of your enchantments at once.
    For example, T2 Hatching Plans, T3 Induced Amnesia -> exile hand and if you draw Reverent Silence you can cast it for its alternate casting cost to draw many cards.

Regarding the Disturb part of the deck and the creatures in general, they look kind of weak to me and you might want to reconsider those in my opinion.

In the end, at least Hatching Plans compares strongly with Standstill which is easier to build around so the synergies and plays have to be really convincing, especially in a Narset, Parter of Veils meta, but I am curious what a tuned deck could look like.

The ordeal cycle from original yheros block had enchantments with triggers when you sacrificed them

May 2015
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by eatbasics View Post
    There is also Induced Amnesia.
    With Amnesia you could maybe pivot away from black.

I do like Crack the Earth but I do not know if it is good enough (in this deck and in general).

Also, I was thinking that with cards like Reverent Silence you can trigger multiple of your enchantments at once.
    For example, T2 Hatching Plans, T3 Induced Amnesia -> exile hand and if you draw Reverent Silence you can cast it for its alternate casting cost to draw many cards.

Regarding the Disturb part of the deck and the creatures in general, they look kind of weak to me and you might want to reconsider those in my opinion.

In the end, at least Hatching Plans compares strongly with Standstill which is easier to build around so the synergies and plays have to be really convincing, especially in a Narset, Parter of Veils meta, but I am curious what a tuned deck could look like.
    After a good night of sleep I would like to add some more input:

In my opinion, Witching Well would be better than Faerie Seer.
    Maybe a "sub-theme" of artifacts could be used to for example with Moonsnare Prototype, but I am not convinced that this is a good direction.

Mystic Remora? Just throwing it out there, getting some value in drawing cards or "stopping" the opponent from playing non-creature spells and then sacrificing it for value could be ok.

Snapcaster Mage could be interesting with Abjure, Perilous Research or even Crack the Earth and in a pinch recycle the sacrifice spells for value.
    However, I admit that 2U counter target spell, 2UU draw 2 cards and 1UR each opponent sacrifices a permanent are not very strong effects, but maybe Snapcaster is viable if we look at it as an recycler for the sacrifice effects to trigger Hatching Plans etc. again or to flashback something like Brainstorm that should be somewhere in the deck when playing blue actually.

I hope I was able to trigger some thoughts

May 2015
    PDX

4x Ancient Tomb
    4x Saga
    4x Strand
    3x Seat of the Synod
    3x Tundra
    2x Island
    1x Homeward Path
    1x Rishadan Port
    1x Sorrow's Path

4x Gilded Drake

2x Karn
    2x Teferi 3cmc

4x Hatching Plans
    4x Touch the Spirit Realm

2x Expedition Map
    1x Soul-Guide Lantern
    1x Despotic Scepter

4x Abjure
    4x Hard Evidence
    4x Political Trickery
    4x Plow
    1x Sevinne's

No SB b/c the deck was made to be as nonsensical as Vladimir Putin. It's got all the flavor from despotism, to "hard" evidence, political "trickery", hatching half-baked plans, and even sorrow.

While I doubt you have the resolve to play a deck which wants to win by donating Sorrow's Path and tapping it every turn with Rish Port, donating Seat of the Synod and buying it back with Teferi or Touch the Spirit Realm, donating Seat of the Synod when you have a Karn passive online, donating Saga on 2 to opponents without 1 drop artifacts...there are some lessons:
    1- Saga and Despotic Scepter are your friend.
    2- Hard Evidence is the best cantrip for Abjure and you know it.
    3- Do Gilded Drake things with Touch the Spirit Realm

Thanks for the replies and ideas! Sorry for not replying sooner, but I have had a busy week.

I'm not sure what triggered the Putin inspired list from my post, but the Sorrow's Path nonsense is stuff that I love (my only precon commander deck purchase is Zedruu, and I put cards like Sorrow's Path in there, but that was back when they first came out, and I got rid of my cards sometime after that). I don't plan on trying that list out, but I appreciate the idea.

Narset is an issue, but that just is what it is. Most decks have to deal with her one way or another. I will try to make sure that there are enough tools available in the final list.

Induced Amnesia should work pretty well with the deck. I find it hard to pivot from black though, as Rite of Oblivion seems pretty strong. It is a better Prismatic Ending in a deck that is sacrificing permanents. Additionally, if I cut black, I lose Lingering Souls. Induced Amnesia has a lower floor than Treacherous Blessing, but a much higher ceiling, and it pitches to Force. I think I will run it over Treacherous Blessing.

Smokestack is a card I love. I will think about including it or Doom Foretold. Vraska is nice, but she goes into Green. If I cut White, I lose Rite of Oblivion again, though maybe it is okay. I will try to cook up a BUG list with her though. If I do, Reverent Silence would be a good addition.

The Ordeal cycle is all Auras, and I don't think any of their effects are really good enough to warrant using them. For their mana costs, there are Instants and Sorceries that do the same (of course, they cannot be sacrificed). However, I don't risk getting 2-for-1ed.

Witching Well over Faerie Seer is probably correct. The body on Faerie is not going to do a whole lot except get 1 chump block in.

The Disturb creatures seem good against counterspells. They can be returned as fliers, so they can help against Delver. They can also be sacrificed for less of a loss. I do think they are a weaker point of the deck, though. I wasn't sure what kind of win condition to put with the card draw engine. I would appreciate any and all ideas for that (even Sorrow's Path :D ).

Mystic Remora seems like a good addition.

I considered Brainstorm, but I ran the Faerie Seers to have a permanent to sacrifice. With the deck having eight cards that say "Draw 3" and four that say "Draw 2", I don't know if Brainstorm is necessary.

Thanks again for all of the ideas. I am going to try out some different color combinations based on your suggestions and posted some refined lists within the next few days.

May 2015
    PDX

Land - 20
    2x Otawara
    3x Saga
    3x Island
    1x Plains
    2x Tundra
    4x Strand
    3x Vista
    1x Karakas
    1x Wasteland

Creatures - 3
    3x Gilded Drake

Enchant - 7
    3X Touch the Spirit Realm
    4x Hatching Plans

Artifact - 4
    2x Expedition Map
    1x Despotic Scepter
    1x Soul-Guide Lantern

Spells - 26
    4x FoW
    2x FoN
    4x Brainstorm
    4x Plow
    4x Hard Evidence
    4x Plow
    4x Abjure

Try not to go so far out of your way to kill Narset. You already want Saga for Despotic access, so find. Otawara with Map off Saga.

Sep 2011

The concept looks fun!

Some considerations with filling out the deck:

1) Your engine will draw a lot of cards, but you also need to be able to do things with those cards fast enough to interact with fast opponents. Perilous Research + Hatching Plans draws an amazing 5 cards, but costs 4 mana and 2 turns of tempo. You also need to be able to use those extra cards with tempo to interact, i.e. 0-1 mana spells if you're tapping out to draw. 5-6 Forces is a good idea. So your core in blue is
    4 Hatching Plans
    4 Abjure
    4 Force of Will
    1-2 Force of Negation
    4 Witching Well

2) 2 colors is more stable than 3 colors. If you can cut a color, it helps against all the mana denial decks. If there's any way you can get a comparable effect in the 2 colors, the 3rd isn't worth it. If the 3rd color adds something unique and important, a splash (UWb) is more stable than 3 even colors (UWB). Lingering Souls is replaceable. If you really want Rite of Oblivion, it's unlikely you'll curve turn 1 U (fodder) turn 2 WB (Rite) without losing to Wasteland, so maybe black should be a splash with Rite as a 3-of?

3) You need to interact with opponent's board presence. Rite of Oblivion is good once it gets online, but it needs fodder first (1-2 mana) and is awkward to curve out vs mana denial, so I would not run this as the only removal. 1 cmc removal is important as long as things like DRC+Daze are common. Swords to Plowshares. Maybe Prismatic Ending too (although Rite of Oblivion should cover Prismatic's role). If the white count is high enough, you might even want Solitude (which converts extra cards to free value and can be sacrificed to instants).

4) You want a resilient win condition. 1/1 flyers and small disturb creatures are OK, but you could run something more compact like a planeswalker that creates tokens or Bitterblossom or Timeless Dragon (also mana fixing).

5) Sevinne's Reclamation returning Hatching Plans seems strong. 1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity could work with Saga + Map but might be overkill.

Edit: If you're running Despotic Scepter, you can Donate a 1-of Illusions of Grandeur.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-02-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I always liked the interaction between Hatching Plans and Pernicious Deed. It fits on curve and rewards you for doing a powerful effect you already want in your deck, something good on its own. Green provides you access to powerful control cards like Uro and Veil of Summer, too.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information