Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: [DMU] Dominaria United: Reunited and it Feels So Good!

Re: [DMU] Dominaria United: Reunited and it Feels So Good!

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Well, didn't expect these at common:

Oh hey. Cool.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

May 2015
    PDX

Saga fetches Gerrard's 1 mana Ugin's Nexus. It almost let's modern cheat in an Eater of Day's.

This does represent a hard[ish] lock with 13/13 emmy and Karakas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Saga fetches Gerrard's 1 mana Ugin's Nexus. It almost let's modern cheat in an Eater of Day's.

This does represent a hard[ish] lock with 13/13 emmy and Karakas.
    Sundial of the Infinite should have only cost one mana!

(but also in case anyone didn't get the joke: Skipping your turns is not the same as giving your opponents Extra Turns)

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post

This guy on the other hand is some serious value.
    How extra do you have to be to sidesaddle a water horse, underwater, when you are a fish
    Like are you even riding anything at that point or is your butt just touching its back while you swim at the same speed
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    How extra do you have to be to sidesaddle a water horse, underwater, when you are a fish
    Like are you even riding anything at that point or is your butt just touching its back while you swim at the same speed
    All about asserting dominance and intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    [Defiler of Instinct]

Would Moon Stompy want this?
    Doesn't seem like it does much that Moon Stompy wants. 4/4 for 4 doesn't close the game out all that fast, it doesn't lock down the opponent, and the cost reduction isn't a big deal for a deck that plays few red permanents. Spending 4 mana for a cost reducer seem unlikely to make sense unless that cost reducer gets used 4 or more times, so I think it wants to be combined with something recyclable like Grinning Ignus or a potent card engine like Harnfel, Horn of Bounty.

It's a well-known fact that water horses are extremely dense and not very buoyant, and thus cannot swim. They can, however, charge or leap along the seafloor.

Merfolk, by contrast, are excellent swimmers, but struggle to stick to the seafloor because they are so buoyant. So, when they need to charge along the depths, they ride horses. Side-saddle, because their legs are fused into a single tail, and thus can't dangle along the horse's two flanks.
    "I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think they will sing to me." -T.S. Eliot

RIP Ari

Legacy UGB River Rock primer Click here to comment

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

This guy on the other hand is some serious value.
    This card needs to be played.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    It's a well-known fact that water horses are extremely dense and not very buoyant, and thus cannot swim. They can, however, charge or leap along the seafloor.

Merfolk, by contrast, are excellent swimmers, but struggle to stick to the seafloor because they are so buoyant. So, when they need to charge along the depths, they ride horses. Side-saddle, because their legs are fused into a single tail, and thus can't dangle along the horse's two flanks.
    "Hi Ho Silver, away!"

...horse gallops off while the merfolk stays in place, slowly floating upwards...

majestic
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Prediction that Merfolk will become viable again, and the single biggest card pushing this will be Emperor Mihail. Not for the card itself, although it does seem like a good card, but for finally forcing Fish players to just run fucking Brainstorm + fetches already

The other lord is also still really good tho
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post

So what I'm hearing here isn't that the merfolk is riding the horse, the horse is riding the merfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Prediction that Merfolk will become viable again, and the single biggest card pushing this will be Emperor Mihail. Not for the card itself, although it does seem like a good card, but for finally forcing Fish players to just run fucking Brainstorm + fetches already

The other lord is also still really good tho
    BS+Fetches is not a good plan if you can never find anything but more fishes.
    Also, Chalice is the only reason the deck was even remotely playable.
    Mana Severance might have become viable now however.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

BS+Fetches is not a good plan if you can never find anything but more fishes.
    Also, Chalice is the only reason the deck was even remotely playable.
    Mana Severance might have become viable now however.
    BS + Fetches is pretty much always a good plan when you're running a mix of anything and anything.

Also I'm pretty sure that the only times when Merfolk was remotely playable (like 10+ years ago,) it was definitely not running Chalice. Not maindeck anyway.

BS + Fetches is pretty much always a good plan when you're running a mix of anything and anything.

Also I'm pretty sure that the only times when Merfolk was remotely playable (like 10+ years ago,) it was definitely not running Chalice. Not maindeck anyway.
    You can't run a deck which can't generate any value and needs like 3+ dudes which all die to bolt without Chalice these days.
    10 years ago everything was playable and Chalice wasn't nearly as good as it is now.

Merfolk could make a comeback as okish aggro deck which has a reasonable combo matchup and can take off games from decks which fold to Chalice.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

I agree with this. Any deck that has a card that has potential to be a lousy card at any stage of the game needs bs and fetch. Nothing else beats that

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

It's probably just because I got like 8 hrs of sleep over the last 2 nights but I cannot stop laughing at this
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

You can't run a deck which can't generate any value and needs like 3+ dudes which all die to bolt without Chalice these days.
    10 years ago everything was playable and Chalice wasn't nearly as good as it is now.

Merfolk could make a comeback as okish aggro deck which has a reasonable combo matchup and can take off games from decks which fold to Chalice.
    Why?

The main reason to run Chalice is to have a form of disruption that matters especially against unfair decks. Chalice is usually the starting point of deck construction, which you then follow up on with "Okay now how do I support/enable Chalice"

Merfolk already has answers to combo, especially with the new Lord, who also really wants you to make a one drop before he comes down turn 2, and also Merfolk doesn't run Sol Lands due to the double blue requirements so. There's really not a great reason to force Chalice into Merfolk over better cards.

Why?

The main reason to run Chalice is to have a form of disruption that matters especially against unfair decks. Chalice is usually the starting point of deck construction, which you then follow up on with "Okay now how do I support/enable Chalice"

Merfolk already has answers to combo, especially with the new Lord, who also really wants you to make a one drop before he comes down turn 2, and also Merfolk doesn't run Sol Lands due to the double blue requirements so. There's really not a great reason to force Chalice into Merfolk over better cards.
    Chalice is more important for shielding your dudes from getting bolted, sworded or pushed.
    With Cavern and Vial you can support Chalice.
    It's also a free win vs Delver.
    Given that most lists have dropped Curse Catcher and Daze, the answers to combo are also limited and can be played around by an experienced combo player.
    Both FoW and saccing your board to not lose also hurt because your clock scales exponentially as every dude is a lord.

Does something like Rona's Vortex have a place in Legacy?

Rona's Vortex

Instant

Kicker

Return target creature or planeswalker you don’t control to its owner’s hand. If this spell was kicked, put that permanent on the bottom of its owner’s library instead.
    Seems like it can buy some time early, and then work as removal later.

There isn't a lot of Grixis being played since white removal is better. Competes with Fatal Push, Murderous Cut, Snuff Out, and Sudden Edict. Has the added bonus of destroying Planeswalkers but that's not super relevant in the current metagame. Hoses Marit Lage. Can possibly delay a Murktide for 1 mana. On the balance, I doubt this sees play.

In younger formats, it could compete with Bloodchief's Thirst which sees a decent amount of play.

Thread Information