Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Are we really all that likely to run totally out of storage lands? There's at least 16 of them off the top of my head plus things like the Mana Batteries

Feb 2014

Last edited by dte; 08-23-2022 at 01:15 PM.

Feb 2014

1 dte (TO) mana vault, shivan gorge, hallowed ground, treasure map GT 189
    Me, playing in between two of the popular strategies: hurting myself (not enough), and late GT. Turn 14, I untap vault at 8 HP, with 0 treasures. Then I gain 1 treasure every 4 turns, and I need 40 of them, then 20 turns pinging.

2 Asthereal City of Brass, Dreadship Reef, Aura Flux, Teferi's Imp GT c. 45
    6-0, Imp aggro is serious aggro!

3 alphastryk Land Cap, Mage-Ring Network, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Epic Struggle GT 189* --> overestimated, more in the 130s?
    6-0, you are too fast.

4 Dooey Roiling Vortex, Rainbow Vale, Rainbow Vale, One with Nothing GT 22
    2-2. If anyone move, they lose.

5 FourDogsinaHorseSuit Mercadian Bazaar, Aura Thief, Through The Breach, Arc Blade GT 54
    6-0. You can even destroy hallowed grounds! And arc blade is pretty strong

6 jfb1337 Leechridden swamp, Subteranian Hangar, Phyrexian Arena, Nefarious Lich GT 48
    0-6. The mirror of self hurt and pingerlands!
    But you lose immediately if I ping you once. Here it bites me that I chose shivan gorge.

7 Reeplcheep Detection Tower, Dreadship Reef, Copy Enchantment, Covetous Urge GT NA
    0-6. I actually play my hand too fast.

8 FTW Fountain of Cho, Sustaining Spirit, Green Scarab, Empyrial Armor GT 447
    6-0. If I tap vault, you can deal me 8 damages faster than I deal you 20.

9 RoosterCocoa Rainbow Vale, Rainbow Vale, Flailing Soldier, Ivory Mask GT 11
    2-2. First one that moves loses (me by my own vault, you because if I get valley I do not need vault), so we stare.

10 Raketenudo Depths of Desire, Mnemonic Wall, Bolas's Citadel, Sand Silos GT 190
    6-0. Me getting below 10 makes you much faster!

11 Wrath of Pie Forbidden Orchard, Flailing Soldier, Archangel's Light, Blinkmoth Infusion GT 11
    2-2. Stare again.

12 Symbi Land Cap, Dreadship Reef, Blessed Wine, Bond of Agony GT 44
    6-0. Blessed wine is a very strong card here!

13 Silkster Timberland Ruins, Timberland Ruins, Heartless Summoning, Flailing Ogre GT 14
    2-2, staring contest with the flaying dudes.

14 BirdsOfParadise Flailing Soldier, Lotus Petal, Phage the Untouchable, Phage the Untouchable GT 11
    2-2, staring contest again

Edit: 38, I WW vs Silkster at 1 life. 38 is below the banning threshold :/
    Last edited by dte; 08-16-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Didn't you receive my updated submission that replaced Phyrexian arena for Dawn of the dead?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    Didn't you receive my updated submission that replaced Phyrexian arena for Dawn of the dead?
    I did, my apologies!
    I updated my post.

7 Reeplcheep Detection Tower, Dreadship Reef, Copy Enchantment, Covetous Urge GT NA
    I wanted to design a deck that couldn’t beat a goldfish. I started with the OG word of command but then realized that drew to floating white. I will lose unless you have a threat you can’t answer that you can’t cast before t6.

You play out your hand too fast. LL 6-0

You can play your threat before urge. LL 6-0

3 alphastryk Land Cap, Mage-Ring Network, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Epic Struggle GT 189* --> overestimated, more in the 130s?
    Combos unfortunately keep a card in hand past t5. DD 2-2

As soon as you cast roiling vortex you give me the mana to cast copy enchantment and win. To prevent that you cast one with nothing for the draw. Should have ran ornithopter. DD 2-2

5 FourDogsinaHorseSuit Mercadian Bazaar, Aura Thief, Through The Breach, Arc Blade GT 54
    You can suspend arc blade under urge. LL 6-0

6 jfb1337 Leechridden swamp, Subteranian Hangar, Phyrexian Arena, Nefarious Lich GT 48
    You play lich, I copy it exile dead and we stare. DD 2-2

Another combo unfortunately. I steal spirit but I can’t do anything with it. DD 2-2

2 permanent mana sources is too strong. DD 2-2

10 Raketenudo Depths of Desire, Mnemonic Wall, Bolas's Citadel, Sand Silos GT 190
    You have a slow threat you can’t answer. DD 2-2

11 Wrath of Pie Forbidden Orchard, Flailing Soldier, Archangel's Light, Blinkmoth Infusion GT 11
    Doesn’t this lose to the target deck?
    My mana advantage bites me again. WW 0-6

Another combo. DD 2-2

13 Silkster Timberland Ruins, Timberland Ruins, Heartless Summoning, Flailing Ogre GT 14
    2 permanent mana sources is too strong. DD 2-2

14 BirdsOfParadise Flailing Soldier, Lotus Petal, Phage the Untouchable, Phage the Untouchable GT 11
    Hilariously phage is covetous urge proof. 2 permanent mana sources is too strong again. DD 2-2

I would rather ban all non basics for unambiguity. Is urborg, tomb of yawgmoth a mana source or a spell? No wins but a ton of draws. The flailing creatures were very strong into depletion lands.

6L 18D 2W for 36/78
    Wop is given a round loss?

Feb 2014

No ambiguity between mana source, spell, etc. : any card can be banned. Land or not. It is more about not banning all 4 cards of a deck. I just propose that we try?

And WoP's deck is legal, he is maybe even the winner of the round?

6 jfb1337 Leechridden swamp, Subterranean Hangar, Dawn of the dead, Nefarious Lich GT 48
    Going for a ping+self-damage strat, that's incredibly fragile to a single point of damage or life gain. two points of damage or life gain.

Once you're able to hold up a shivan gorge activation, I can't win. LL 6-0.

Two hits from imp means I can't win. LL 6-0.

Neither of us interact, and I'm faster. WW 0-6.

If you play vortex, I ping you once you're at 2. If I play my stuff to start pinging you, you play vortex and kill immediately me due to my lich. DD 2-2.

One hit from arc blade and I can't win. LL 6-0.

You can take one of my things and I can't win, but neither can you. DD 2-2.

If I play my stuff, you can use 7 mana to get in one hit and kill me; so I don't play my stuff and you win. LL 6-0.

- When I'm OTD, you play the soldier T1. I get the vale but can't kill it, as my lands enter tapped. T2 you attack for 2, I can shrink it but you can grow it. After taking 2 I can't win. I do eventually kill the soilder so you can't win either.
    - When I'm OTP:
    -- If I play hangar first, you play the soldier T1, and as above I can't kill it and take 2.
    -- If I play leechridden swamp first, you play a land T1, then T2 I play the hangar, you play soldier, then I have 2 mana available with vale+swamp. T3 you attack, I can shrink it while you grow it, and I take 1. I also put 1 counter on the hangar. Then when i untap I have 3 mana and can kill the soildier, and as Silkster points out I can still win from there.
    Thus, WD 1-4.

You only need to deal 10 damage to win, making you're GT around 80-90, but I'm still too fast. WW 0-6.

If you play the soldier, I can eventually kill it while keeping the 1/1, then win with that; whereas if you never play it then I win the normal way while holding up enough mana to kill it. WW 0-6.

You play blessed wine, but as Silkster points out I can still win through that. WW 6-0.

You're slow enough to get out your ogre that I always have enough mana to kill it. WW 0-6.

You can always get at least one hit in with soldier before I can kill it, leaving me unable to win. DD 2-2.

Total: 8L, 7D, 11W = 31 points

Edit: I actually beat WoP both OTP and OTD.
    Edit 2: Silkster points out that my deck is actually less fragile than I thought.
    Last edited by jfb1337; 08-16-2022 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    No ambiguity between mana source, spell, etc. : any card can be banned. Land or not. It is more about not banning all 4 cards of a deck. I just propose that we try?

And WoP's deck is legal, he is maybe even the winner of the round?
    You are the TO so I’ll defer to you.

Maybe I am missing something:

T1 WoP orchard, soldier.
    T1 Goldfish, Forest
    T2 Wop declares soldier as an attacker. Goldfish uses soldiers ability. If wop doesn’t use the soldier’s ability, goldfish block the 1/1 with 1/1 spirit. If WoP does use the ability, goldfish blocks the 2/2 with 2 1/1s
    Leyline ooof

Jfb should use my above logic to beat WoP even OTD

Feb 2014

WoP wins because veldt untap only other turn, and that he can wait that it is needed to boost soldier (ie after block).
    The sample deck can chose not to reveal leyline.
    I agree this one wasn't obvious at all ;)

1 dte (TO) mana vault, shivan gorge, hallowed ground, treasure map GT 189, WW (see below*)
    2 Asthereal City of Brass, Dreadship Reef, Aura Flux, Teferi's Imp GT c. 45, WW
    3 alphastryk Land Cap, Mage-Ring Network, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Epic Struggle GT 189* --> overestimated, more in the 130s? WW
    If cast Vortex, I lose. But I can kill your Ogre. DD
    5 FourDogsinaHorseSuit Mercadian Bazaar, Aura Thief, Through The Breach, Arc Blade GT 54, WW
    6 jfb1337 Leechridden swamp, Subterranean Hangar, Dawn of the dead, Nefarious Lich GT 48, WW
    7 Reeplcheep Detection Tower, Dreadship Reef, Copy Enchantment, Covetous Urge GT NA,
    I saw the lands and assumed this was WW for me, but on closer inspection... This is quite the masterpiece! I had a deck that similarly couldn't beat a goldfish, but one of the cards could also be used defensively, so it got too many draws. DD
    I can get the Ogre from your graveyard or from your hand, and you can never make 3 mana to kill it. WW
    8 FTW Fountain of Cho, Sustaining Spirit, Green Scarab, Empyrial Armor GT 447 WW
    I had Green Scarab in my gauntlet too. I didn't have Empyrial Armor + Sustaining Spirit though.
    I thought this was illegal at first glance, but the two Vale's kind of cancel each other out, I guess? Ah, but only because Veldt is slow to untap. Very interesting. I think your Ogre is more aggressive, but I can play defense with the two Vales. DD
    10 Raketenudo Depths of Desire, Mnemonic Wall, Bolas's Citadel, Sand Silos GT 190, WW
    My 2/2 Soldier doesn't race your 2/2 Ogre + 1/1 Spirit, but your Ogre would die if it attacks, and then my two 1/1 Spirits can't get in. DD
    12 Symbi Land Cap, Dreadship Reef, Blessed Wine, Bond of Agony GT 44 WW
    13 Silkster Timberland Ruins, Timberland Ruins, Heartless Summoning, Flailing Ogre GT 14, me!
    14 BirdsOfParadise Flailing Soldier, Lotus Petal, Phage the Untouchable, Phage the Untouchable GT 11 DD because I can hold the Soldier to block.

18 W, 8 D = 62 points

My vote is to ban all the cards that are winning. If that gets outvoted, my vote is to protect only the 16 storage lands.

*So I thought you were playing more lands and just auto won, but then I went through the decks again to admire them and noticed the insanity that you came up with. (Beautiful, by the way!) Then I thought it was an easy DD, then I wondered if forcing you tap your Mana Vault might get you since your mana is so tight, then I wondered if I might actually win, and I think I do. (I'm relying on your 8 life calculation.) On the draw:

T1: Gorge, Vault, Map, Scry, 1 counter
    T2: Scry, 2 counters
    T3: Scry, transform Map. (it's at this point that you have the option of making a 2/2 that flails. If you do, I only need to take one turn off my game plan to kill it, so I would win at 7 life. So no Ogre for now.)
    T4: Use one treasure to cast Hallowed Ground. (With Treasure Cove still in play, Ogre would only delay me for one turn, effectively doing 1 damage.)
    T5: Float , sac treasures to bounce Cove, replay Map. Now is your best window to cast Ogre.
    T6: Scry, 1 counter. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T7: Scry, 2 counters. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T8. Scry, transform. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T9: Use Gorge and Cove to kill Ogre. This delays my game plan by one, so I take 1 extra damage from Mana Vault, for a total of 7 extra damage.
    Last edited by silkster; 08-17-2022 at 12:37 AM.

Dooey Roiling Vortex, Rainbow Vale, Rainbow Vale, One with Nothing GT 22
    Was going for a deck that wins by small edge rather than by being slow. If any deck can do 1 damage to me before turn 22 with the assistance of 2 additional mana, they will win.

Whoever blinks first loses DD 2-2 0+2=2

Aura Flux kills my vortex and I eventually die to imp. LL 0-6 2+6=8

Two extra mana doesn't speed up your clock enough to beat me, I kill you with vortex. WW 6-0 8+0=8

It me 8+0=8

If I play vortex I lose, 2 additional mana lets you deal a damage to me before I kill you. If I don't play vortex, I lose to Arc Blade eventually. LL 0-6 8+6=14

6 jfb1337 Leechridden swamp, Subterranean Hangar, Dawn of the dead, Nefarious Lich GT 48
    If I move first, you wait until you are at 1 and I'm at 2. Then you dump your hand, deal 1, and I lose in my upkeep, so I can't move first. If you move first, I play vortex and you lose to lich trigger. So we stare at each other. DD 2-2 14+2=16

As you said, my meme card killed me :( shouldn't have tried to be funny. DD 2-2 16+2=18

If I play vortex, a well-timed sustaining spirit keep you alive at 1 and I die to my own vortex. If I don't, you can kill me the slow way on turn 447. LL 0-6 18+6=24

If I play vortex, I lose because you can deal me 1 damage. If you play soldier, you lose, because I will have 3 mana to kill it even it you try to save it. So we stare at each other. DD 2-2 24+2=26

Two extra mana doesn't speed up your clock enough to win before vortex kills you WW 60 26+0=26

An interesting one. If I ever cast vortex, I have no mana, and you can kill me with an unimpeded 2/2 (you can cast off vale without giving me a 1/1, and giving back one vale doesn't let me kill the soldier). So I can't win. But can I stop you from winning? If you are on the play, you give me a 1/1 to make your 2/2. I play 1st vale. I can get a point in. You untap with orchard. I don't think you can attack, by blocking with my 1/1 and spending both vales, I can kill the soldier, even if you tap orchard again. I can't attack either, or play vortex. So I think we stare at each other. When you are on the draw, I get a land out first, so if you ever tap out, I can kill soldier and be left with a 1/1. So you never tap out. I think we stare at each other DD 2-2 26+2=28

You can beat vortex by gaining 1 life at any point, and doing nothing else. LL 0-6 28+6=34

If I ever play vortex, you can cast ogre without summoning, and deal me one damage, so I can't win. Can you win? If I do nothing, you can make a 2/2 ogre, which I can kill, but lose my mana in the process. So we stare at each other DD 2-2 34+2=36

If I play vortex first, soldier kills me. If you play soldier first, I can kill it, but not get vortex out. We stare at each other. DD 2-2 36+2=38

My vote for bans would be to ban nothing to start, and allow the changing target deck to lead to shifting strategies.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Results for round 1 (I've recalculated my GT over and over again and I keep getting 189, can somebody help me see what I might have missed?):

1. dte (TO): mana vault, shivan gorge, hallowed ground, treasure map GT 189
    We cannot interact with each other. If we are both GT189, WL 3-3.
    If I miscalculated, I WW 6-0

2. Asthereal:City of Brass, Dreadship Reef, Aura Flux, Teferi's Imp GT 45
    I cannot interact with you and your Imp is far too fast for me. LL 0-6

3. alphastryk: Land Cap, Mage-Ring Network, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Epic Struggle GT 189* --> overestimated, more in the 130s?
    me

4. Dooey: Roiling Vortex, Rainbow Vale, Rainbow Vale, One with Nothing GT 22
    I cannot interact with you and your Roiling Vortex is far too fast for me. LL 0-6

5. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: Mercadian Bazaar, Aura Thief, Through The Breach, Arc Blade GT 54
    Your Arc Blade is too fast for me and can kill my Prisms and I can't beat Aura Thief. LL 0-6

6. jfb1337: Leechridden swamp, Subterranean Hangar, Dawn of the dead, Nefarious Lich GT 48
    I cannot interact with you and your Leechridden Swamp is far too fast for me. LL 0-6

7. Reeplcheep: Detection Tower, Dreadship Reef, Copy Enchantment, Covetous Urge GT N/A
    Cool deck, essentially infinitely slow with narrow interaction. Your Covetous Urge can always take something I need away but you can't win without both Kaleidoscope and Epic Struggle. DD 2-2

8. FTW: Fountain of Cho, Sustaining Spirit, Green Scarab, Empyrial Armor GT 447
    And I thought my deck was slow! WW 6-0

9. RoosterCocoa: Rainbow Vale, Rainbow Vale, Flailing Soldier, Ivory Mask GT 11
    Very clever, if I ever play out my lands to make progress you play Soldier, which I can always kill for the win with your donated Rainbow Vale and my Mage-Ring Network. You can't sit back forever or I win. WW 6-0

10. Raketenudo: Depths of Desire, Mnemonic Wall, Bolas's Citadel, Sand Silos GT 190
    I'm just barely too fast for you. WW 6-0

11. Wrath of Pie: Forbidden Orchard, Flailing Soldier, Archangel's Light, Blinkmoth Infusion GT 11
    I don't see how you beat the target deck? They can choose to not put Leyline in play so that they get a Spirit from Orchard and leave up Veldt + Spirit to block and shrink your Soldier to force a draw.
    If your deck is legal, I can always get rid of your Soldier for the win. WW 6-0

12. Symbi: Land Cap, Dreadship Reef, Blessed Wine, Bond of Agony GT 44
    I cannot interact with you and your Bond of Agony is too fast for me. LL 0-6

13. Silkster: Timberland Ruins, Timberland Ruins, Heartless Summoning, Flailing Ogre GT 14
    I can always kill your Flailing Ogre, WW 6-0

14. BirdsOfParadise: Flailing Soldier, Lotus Petal, Phage the Untouchable, Phage the Untouchable GT 11
    I can always kill your Flailing Soldier, WW 6-0

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    *So I thought you were playing more lands and just auto won, but then I went through the decks again to admire them and noticed the insanity that you came up with. (Beautiful, by the way!) Then I thought it was an easy DD, then I wondered if forcing you tap your Mana Vault might get you since your mana is so tight, then I wondered if I might actually win, and I think I do. (I'm relying on your 8 life calculation.) On the draw:

T1: Gorge, Vault, Map, Scry, 1 counter
    T2: Scry, 2 counters
    T3: Scry, transform Map. (it's at this point that you have the option of making a 2/2 that flails. If you do, I only need to take one turn off my game plan to kill it, so I would win at 7 life. So no Ogre for now.)
    T4: Use one treasure to cast Hallowed Ground. (With Treasure Cove still in play, Ogre would only delay me for one turn, effectively doing 1 damage.)
    T5: Float , sac treasures to bounce Cove, replay Map. Now is your best window to cast Ogre.
    T6: Scry, 1 counter. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T7: Scry, 2 counters. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T8. Scry, transform. Take 2 from Ogre.
    T9: Use Gorge and Cove to kill Ogre. This delays my game plan by one, so I take 1 extra damage from Mana Vault, for a total of 7 extra damage.
    That seem correct. So I win both OTP and OTD at 1 life, netting 0 points. Being unable to cast ogre before T4 helps quite a lot here.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    11. Wrath of Pie: Forbidden Orchard, Flailing Soldier, Archangel's Light, Blinkmoth Infusion GT 11
    I don't see how you beat the target deck? They can choose to not put Leyline in play so that they get a Spirit from Orchard and leave up Veldt + Spirit to block and shrink your Soldier to force a draw.
    If your deck is legal, I can always get rid of your Soldier for the win. WW 6-0
    If target deck leaves up veldt+spirit, then when WoP attacks, target shrinks and blocks, then WoP grows after blockers are declared, leaving target with a new spirit. Then veldt doesn't untap, and WoP gets in a free attack.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    If target deck leaves up veldt+spirit, then when WoP attacks, target shrinks and blocks, then WoP grows after blockers are declared, leaving target with a new spirit. Then veldt doesn't untap, and WoP gets in a free attack.
    Thanks for clarifying

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    Results for round 1 (I've recalculated my GT over and over again and I keep getting 189, can somebody help me see what I might have missed?):

3. alphastryk: Land Cap, Mage-Ring Network, Diamond Kaleidoscope, Epic Struggle GT 189* --> overestimated, more in the 130s?
    me
    once diamond is in play, all free and untap.
    T1, 1C
    T2, wait
    T3, 2C
    T4, wait
    T5, make a prism token
    T6, wait

So it takes 6 turns per token, and you need 22 of them --> 132 turns. plus the turns to make the kaleidoscope and the 2 manas for epic struggle, you are around 145 maybe?

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    once diamond is in play, all free and untap.
    T1, 1C
    T2, wait
    T3, 2C
    T4, wait
    T5, make a prism token
    T6, wait

So it takes 6 turns per token, and you need 22 of them --> 132 turns. plus the turns to make the kaleidoscope and the 2 manas for epic struggle, you are around 145 maybe?
    Aha, I was thinking I needed to use my other land to take counters off of Mage-Ring Network but I don't, will remove 2 turns from every calculation:

Make 7 mana with Mage-Ring Network + Land Cap on my turn 14, play Diamond Kaleidoscope and activate making 1 Prism token. After that I need to activate the Kaleidoscope another 21 times so that I can sacrifice 2 Prisms to make GG and keep 20 creatures for Epic Struggle. The first 20 times I need to store 3 mana and use Kaleidoscope (which involves tapping). Each of those takes 6 turns. Putting me to turn 140 to get to 21 Prisms. Then I take 10 turns to build 5 mana with Mage-Ring Network + Land Cap to create the 22nd Prism while leaving me 2 mana to cast Epic Struggle (along with 2 Prisms) on my turn 150, winning on my turn 151

That puts me to GT 151, which means I W vs dte but all other results are the same

dte: WW
    Asthereal: Kill the Imp, WW
    alphastryk: Kill the pests, WW
    Dooey: Through the breach Aura thief when we're at 2. WW
    JFB1337: They can't cast Lich and if they can't they can't hit two black permanants. WW
    Reeplcheep: I suspend Arcblade the turn before they cast Urge. I blade the stolen aura thief.
    FTW: Your deck doesn't do shit, lmao. WW
    Rooster Cocoa: You can't cast Ivory Mask to force me to blade myself to death, and if you ever cast Soldier I'll blade it. WW
    Raketenudo: Blade don't miss. WW
    Wrath of Pie: Thanks for the 1/1 I guess. Kill your guy WW
    Symbi: Blade loop is one turn faster than your wine loop, which means I win on about turn 210.
    Silkster: I kill the ogre. WW
    BirdsOfParadise: I kill the Soldier WW
    0 points.

Thread Information